• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to get rid of an old boat?

MidCoast

Does anybody  know or have any information on where to donate an old boat too?   I know for cars, you could call and have junk yards come and tow your car away for free.  How about for boats?  How do you get rid of an old boat?

Put a "For Sale - $100" sign out and leave the keys in it and the trailer coupler unlocked. Somebody will steal it and think they got a deal ;)

That's what we do when we want an old lawnmower or snowblower gone, but with a $20 sign ;) Works every time! People don't want "free" stuff, but hey want it when it seems to have value. Hopefully they can even make a few bucks on it!

Oh no!   That's where I just got my latest boat! It was about 0430 when I hooked it up and the last few miles home one tire was awfully low and when we got it home turned out there was  no tread on it. And we found five big holes where rivets were missing.

But hey!.....it was free and we stole it and left no traces behind.

3 hours ago, MidCoast said:

Does anybody  know or have any information on where to donate an old boat too?   I know for cars, you could call and have junk yards come and tow your car away for free.  How about for boats?  How do you get rid of an old boat?

Try a Free alert of the C/List.  If it's Alm, haul the whole down to the scrap yard and get a few bucks out of it.

alum, strip it and scrape it. Fiberglass or wood, chainsaw it and off to the dump, if it still floats try crags list. Not to many people will take a boat with out a trailer and the trailer is worth money.

We managed to sell all( 3 or 4) of ours. We'd just tell the BIL we wanted to get rid of it & he would. Putting a price on it that was about what we thought the motor & trailer were worth helped, I'm sure

2 hours ago, Cheers said:

aluminum is worth $

FWIW, we learned there is a BIG! difference in the price of "clean" aluminum (cans) and "dirty" aluminum (in our case a stripped down old pontoon aluminum). It would have cost us more to drive the old thing to the scrap yard than we would have gotten, haha! No kidding. So we sold to a guy who sold project pontoons, and we got $300, he said he was going to just put it in his yard with a $600 pricetag and it would sell for about that. I think dirty alum was like $0.03 a pound or something like that, where clean alum was about $0.70 a pound. This was in Brainerd area a few years ago.