• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor size

DLD24

I'm looking to pick up a different trolling motor for my 17ft Lund. I plan on getting into pulling cranks this year, but I don't have a kicker.  Would an 80lb terrova be enough for trolling cranks on most days or would I need the 101...There's doesn't seem to be much of a price difference on hsolist between the two. I know I could use the big motor, but I'd like the option of using the electric.Thanks for any input

What do you currently have on your boat? Are you talking bow or transom mount? Whether or not the 80 will work depends how heavy your rig is.. "17ft lund" is pretty vague so its hard to say. Your rig may be light enough for the 80 to get you to trolling speed but what it really comes down to is batteries. Going full blast on your trolling motor is surly going to wear your batteries down to nothing in short order. I'd make sure you have a 36volt system either way and buy the biggest batteries you can fit in your boat.

Edited by jwmiller33

Yep, have 80 terrova on 1775 provee.   Will go 2.5 mph for several hours.   If you want to go faster than that, or go 12 hours a day that might not work.  

Big motor and a drift sock/5 gal bucket if you don't spring for a kicker and still want to troll all day. 

I have 80#'s on both ends of my 1775 and it works just fine. Battery space can be a decision maker too and didn't have room for a third TM battery, most smaller boats don't.  

I have an 80lb thrust bow mount on my big 19 footer and it trolls just fine. Full Blast, little wind I can get 3.5 GPS for several hours

9 hours ago, Hawg said:

I have 80#'s on both ends of my 1775 and it works just fine. Battery space can be a decision maker too and didn't have room for a third TM battery, most smaller boats don't.  

I was going to go with the 101 lb thrust but I lacked a space for the third battery. So my decision was made to go to the 80, 2 battery system, anyways. Works just fine