• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iq bow sight/ sights in general recommendation

rkhinrichs

Ok Hotspot Archery fanatics I have a question. I am thinking about getting a new bow sight.... I have been looking at the IQ bowsight what are your thoughts?? If you have one what are some benefits and drawbacks???

For you other guys what other sights should I be looking at???? 

Some info about my hunting style....

1. I only hunt deer, turkey and bear with bow all in MN/WI.

2. longest shot I have ever taken is 32 yards. 

3. I hunt mostly from the ground. 

I shoot the 7 pin IQ micro on my Hoyt and it is a nice sight for sure.  I don't know if the money you will spend on it will be worth it if you aren't trying to make considerably longer shots than 32 yards.  I personally think for tight quarters a single pin would be easiest.  You could probably shoot 30 yards without moving the pin depending on your setup.

A few pros

-The "IQ bubble"(I find myself only useing it when making 40+ yard shots)

-Easily adjusting all the pins at once to accommodate different tips.

-Very bright pins in low light

The only real con would be that the thumb screws rattle really bad when you shoot.  I did fix this with a couple O-rings, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Last summer I was able to shoot 90 yards pretty good and out to 80 I felt very comfortable.  Whether this was due to switching to the IQ I have no idea.  It certainly could have just been that I was practicing way more since I have the potential to shoot 40-50 yards in some of my stands.  I don't plan on ever shooting at a white tail from that far but it's nice to know I could, and it sure makes 20-30 yard shots seem easy.

9 hours ago, Bass Whacker said:

I shoot the 7 pin IQ micro on my Hoyt and it is a nice sight for sure.  I don't know if the money you will spend on it will be worth it if you aren't trying to make considerably longer shots than 32 yards.  I personally think for tight quarters a single pin would be easiest.  You could probably shoot 30 yards without moving the pin depending on your setup.

A few pros

-The "IQ bubble"(I find myself only useing it when making 40+ yard shots)

-Easily adjusting all the pins at once to accommodate different tips.

-Very bright pins in low light

The only real con would be that the thumb screws rattle really bad when you shoot.  I did fix this with a couple O-rings, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Last summer I was able to shoot 90 yards pretty good and out to 80 I felt very comfortable.  Whether this was due to switching to the IQ I have no idea.  It certainly could have just been that I was practicing way more since I have the potential to shoot 40-50 yards in some of my stands.  I don't plan on ever shooting at a white tail from that far but it's nice to know I could, and it sure makes 20-30 yard shots seem easy.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the IQ pro hunter. It is a three pin, two fixed and one that is adjustable. The other would be the 5 pin micro.

i have thought about an HHA single pin but the sight makes me nervous to have in the rut. if ever I need to take a quick shot in an area I didn't expect a deer to come from

Edited by rkhinrichs

I used to shoot a 4 pin fixed sight, but I found that for me when having 5 pins and shooting out to 60 yards (pins set at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60) the pins are so close together that I was having trouble with the pins blurring together and it was causing me to be less accurate then I wanted to be.  I switched to a Trophy Ridge single pin and it's been awesome, I have marks at (20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70) when I'm practicing I make a habit of shooting my 30 yard pin at 20 yards and 40 yards to see where I need to hold to hit the bulls eye.  When I'm hunting I just set the pin at 30 yards and I'm good to go out to 40 yards if a deer comes in quick, if not and I have time to range and adjust my sight I'll do that.  For me hands down I'd go with a single pin slider type sight.

Edited by Musky hunter 82

6 hours ago, Musky hunter 82 said:

When I'm hunting I just set the pin at 30 yards and I'm good to go out to 40 yards if a deer comes in quick, if not and I have time to range and adjust my sight I'll do that.  For me hands down I'd go with a single pin slider type sight.

+1

I have a HHA single pin after switching from a 3 then a 5 pin sight, I don't plan on making the switch back to a multiple pin sight, too cluttered for my liking.  I also shoot with my non dominate eye, so the single pin is helpful in that regard for me 

I tried a single pin HHA for a few years but had issues with being able to adjust it when close to an animal.  I switched back to a 5-pin sight.  7 would be ideal for western hunting in the open country but I haven't had the urge to spend the money yet.  MN deer hunters probably only need 2 or 3 pins for the majority of shots on animals here.  

I have shot an Axcel for the last 3 years and really like it. The micro adjust on individual pins is awesome.  I have it in .10 pins and the smaller pins have really helped on longer shots.  It is really well made and adjustable.  A bit on the heavier side but probably comparable weight to sights with similar features.