• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked Crappies

Smoked a couple  up this weekend and really better than I thought they would be. 

fillet fish leave skin on

for brine

1/2 cup noniodine salt

1 cup sugar

1 qt water

brine overnight

rinse, pat dry and let sit out for an hour or so. 

sprinkle with a seasoning if you like. I did lemon pepper on a couple and seafood magic on a couple. 

have smoker heated to 200

put in smoked with a little cherry wood

smoke 1 hour and done.  should be about 155 degrees internal. 

nom nom nom ! ! ! 

219a.JPG

219b.JPG

I smoke crappies, white bass or perch whole. I slit the belly from bow to stern and remove entrails. Then cut about a half inch off the belly flaps so the cure and smoke can get in there. Next you make a cut down on both sides of the dorsal fin. Grab a pair of pliers and pull out the dorsal fin. This is so that the brine penetrates the thickest flesh. I use cure in my brine and soak the fish for four hours. I run skewers through the eyeballs and hang them in my smoker. When the surface of the fish is dry, I smoke it for at least two hours around 140- 150F. Raise the smoker temp. to 180-210F. until the internal temp. hits about 145F. 

This is awesome - I'll be setting some spring crappies aside for this.  I've always been dubious about smoking non-oily fish as well, but the pics look incredible.  I might just be a believer.  My buddy smokes Pike all the time, I've never tried any but he claims it's top-notch

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

May have to try this. Do the bones peel out? :)

to a degree!!!!!!! i wouldnt say easy but.......... there worth it i know this is a bit off topic but the brine i use is 2 qts water, 1 cup sugar 1 cup pickling salt. i also add other seasons. put soy sauce, worstershire sauce in also. sit in brine for about 24 hours.  

2 minutes ago, smurfy said:

to a degree!!!!!!! i wouldnt say easy but.......... there worth it i know this is a bit off topic but the brine i use is 2 qts water, 1 cup sugar 1 cup pickling salt. i also add other seasons. put soy sauce, worstershire sauce in also. sit in brine for about 24 hours. 

Rat's just can't find away to make those Y bones go away other then pickling! :(

16 minutes ago, smurfy said:

:grin: nope. But I been picking bones outta pike since I was a little youngin so don't bother me!

Now in just an auld phart!

Bahaha, I hear ya. The only fish dad really like to go for when I was young. Thus, hate Y bones and why I fish for Walleye's!  :D

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

i think having less salt and more sugar for nonoily fish helps the dry issue. 

Eyeguy - did you leave the ribs in?  or are you just a really good crappie cleaner? :)  Unless they're bigger ones, I always seem to take a good deal of the rib meat out when I remove the ribs.  Not the end of the world, very thin strip of meat there.  But if those are rib-less, I admire your ability!

been cleaning the rib out for many years on different fish.. I use the 6 inch rapala and cut up over and follow down. I did some with the new electric also and left the bone in and smoked, i like them better with it out. The tiny verticle bone is still there but I just cut that out before I eat. Smoked 5 more Sunday. :) 

326a.jpg

326b.jpg

326c.jpg