• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Repair Costs

jmg

Trying to get some idea as to how much I will need to spend to get my 1997 Yamaha 30 hp running again.  The motor sat for nearly 11/2 yrs after I had bought it. before I got around to starting it in Oct.  I followed the owner's manual recommendation to use pre-mix 50:1 gas oil, even though it has oil injection.  Anyway, motor would start(Elec. start), not real quickly, but after starting, would begin to cough and then choke out after a few seconds.This happened repeatedly despite different choke settings, etc.until I finally thought it better to quit fooling with it.  Called a repair place in my hometown outside the metro and he wanted to wait till Spring to look at it.  Said it probably needs new carb kits or carbs and plugs.  Also want him to put in new impeller and lower unit seals. Just wondering what an ave. fair price would be to have that done, provided there isn't anything else wrong?  I live in SW Metro area, but really don't know where to take it around here that I trust anymore. any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.  Repairman didn't want to give est. without looking at it.  Can't blame him, but don't want to get totally ripped off either.

Edited by jmg

3 minutes ago, jmg said:

Trying to get some idea as to how much I will need to spend to get my 1997 Yamaha 30 hp running again.  The motor sat for nearly 11/2 yrs after I had bought it. before I got around to starting it in Oct.  I followed the owner's manual recommendation to use pre-mix 50:1 gas oil, even though it has oil injection.  Anyway, motor would start(Elec. start), not real quickly, but after starting, would begin to cough and then choke out after a few seconds.This happened repeatedly despite different choke settings, etc.until I finally thought it better to quit fooling with it.  Called a repair place in my hometown outside the metro and he wanted to wait till Spring to look at it.  Said it probably needs new carb kits or carbs and plugs.  Also want him to put in new impeller and lower unit seals. Just wondering what an ave. fair price would be to have that done, provided there isn't anything else wrong?  I live in SW Metro area, but really don't know where to take it around here that I trust anymore. any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to get it out in the water and running it at higher speeds for a while to see if it will clear it's self?

I highly doubt it needs carb kits if only sat that long. Draining the carb bowls and spraying carb cleaner in there can clean things up a lot and loosen sticky floats. Should be a main jet on each carb you can pull to drain carb bowls and spray into and clean jet. Put in fresh gas with seafoam in it and new plugs and it will probably run. Impeller is a pretty easy job to. Should be able to find a video on u tube on how to do it. I would drain my carb bowls on my old 115 2 stroke every spring and you would be surprised at the slimy stuff that came out of them sometimes and that was just sitting over winter.

8 hours ago, jmg said:

Trying to get some idea as to how much I will need to spend to get my 1997 Yamaha 30 hp running again.  The motor sat for nearly 11/2 yrs after I had bought it. before I got around to starting it in Oct.  I followed the owner's manual recommendation to use pre-mix 50:1 gas oil, even though it has oil injection.  Anyway, motor would start(Elec. start), not real quickly, but after starting, would begin to cough and then choke out after a few seconds.This happened repeatedly despite different choke settings, etc.until I finally thought it better to quit fooling with it.  Called a repair place in my hometown outside the metro and he wanted to wait till Spring to look at it.  Said it probably needs new carb kits or carbs and plugs.  Also want him to put in new impeller and lower unit seals. Just wondering what an ave. fair price would be to have that done, provided there isn't anything else wrong?  I live in SW Metro area, but really don't know where to take it around here that I trust anymore. any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.  Repairman didn't want to give est. without looking at it.  Can't blame him, but don't want to get totally ripped off either.

I'd be prepared to hear $400 - $600.

I would bet it DOES need a carb kit after sitting that long, especially if there was no gas in it or you didn't use non-oxy. The gaskets and seals dry out like you wouldn't believe. Mine sat that long after two surgeries, and I had to put a complete gasket kit and seats in it. It was also a 30 HP.  Not a big job on that 30 HP. Diaphragm may be dried out too, or have developed a pinhole or two in it. 

Thanks for alli the input.  Yes, I always use non oxy gas, but don't  know what previous owner used for sure, since he was, shall we say, less than truthful about several other things regarding the boat,motor and trailer. Wish I  was more mechanically inclined, but I  know I better have a pro look at it and fix it so I  can finally use it.  Hope to have it going for the opener.  Getting anxious.