• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger mount for atv

lungdeflator

This has probably been beaten to death on here but....after the recent trip to Winnipeg and driving on rough ice all weekend, I'm reconsidering the auger mount on my ATV.  I have one of the Kolpin ones right now that is 2 thinner pieces of metal that stand up off the front rack.  The only way to hold the auger in is with bungees and the metal is thin and wears on the auger at the contact points.  

I'm thinking I could work some 2x6's or something into a decent mount for fairly cheap.  

Anybody have pics of a homemade one?   Or anybody recommend the Digger mount?  

3 hours ago, lungdeflator said:

This has probably been beaten to death on here but....after the recent trip to Winnipeg and driving on rough ice all weekend, I'm reconsidering the auger mount on my ATV.  I have one of the Kolpin ones right now that is 2 thinner pieces of metal that stand up off the front rack.  The only way to hold the auger in is with bungees and the metal is thin and wears on the auger at the contact points.  

I'm thinking I could work some 2x6's or something into a decent mount for fairly cheap.  

Anybody have pics of a homemade one?   Or anybody recommend the Digger mount?  

I was thinking the same I rarely use my own wheeler but when I do I like my auger on the wheeler. I thought about buying a mount but can't stand spending that much cash on one. I was thinking of making one but that's a project for the summer months. Sorry I can't help.

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

I use a Digger mount on my ATV and sled.  Its fast and easy.   I'm on the ice everyday testing and tweaking Nils blades. I rack the auger on every blade change and some days that could be 20 times so for the me the Digger is exactly what I need.  The clamp on the Digger makes fast work of securing the auger and removal.   The height of the Digger frees room on the rack for more gear.

Once in a while we'll take my buddies ATV out fishing.  Hes got no auger rack so we'll bungie the auger to the ATV rack. It works but it makes me appreciate the Digger rack all the more.   Any rack would be an improvement there.   In the past guys have posted their homemade racks and I hope they do so again.   

3 hours ago, Surface Tension said:

Nice,  storage and rack.  Looks like the LED light bar is attached to the rack too.

Yes it is. I don't have the rod holders installed in this picture, but it holds 6 rods. Come march on lake Winnipeg, we are self contained on the quads. No shacks. This quad is my dedicated ice machine, so I mounted the light bar on the box. Best 30 bucks I ever spent. Here's a picture of my friends quad, fully decked out. 

IMG_0775.JPG

I don't have any pictures, but I've used the digger mount for a few years up there and it works well even on the very rough ice up there.  I modified an only auger mount to get it to work, but its on the back of the wheeler.  I'd much rather have it up front where you can see it the whole time.  Had an auger fall off an old mount, so still always gotta look back with the Digger, but it hasn't failed me yet.  (knock on wood)

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Greenbackhunter said:

Our lake is punishing on equipment, for sure. A good friend built these for our quads, they are solid and protect your gear.

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

Like the way there is support under the auger head. Lot's of banging over time can bend the shaft a bit or mess up the gear housing when the head is hanging.

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Like the way there is support under the auger head. Lot's of banging over time can bend the shaft a bit or mess up the gear housing when the head is hanging.

Yep. My friend has refined this design. His thinking is he would rather have his gear in front of him   . If he's going to loose something, at least he can see it fall off. 

Ended up buying a Digger mount.  Only able to use it for our last trip to Winnipeg and that was it for the ice season.  It is far better than that Kolpin mount I had before.  The clamp on the Digger holds the auger more securely that bungees with the other one.  The ice was pretty tame this time around on Winnipeg, so not much of a test over rough ice.  Looking forward to next season already and putting it through a whole season.  Probably going to figure out a way to put another clamp on the other side to use instead of bungees.