• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taunting Grouse

Season has been over for awhile but now I have a couple of Grouse who just strut in my back yard taunting me. Duncan has tried to put the fear into them but no matter how quick he is they are up in the trees before he can get halfway across the yard. He does come back with that stupid lab look on his face so I guess everyone is enjoying themselves here late in the winter. I hope to hear them drumming this spring.

Not last year but the year before that we had one that followed us all through deer season.  He would hop up on our knee while we were sitting there, and the little bastard would grab my glove and try to run off with it.  He was almost dinner many nights.

Years ago brother and I at our hunting cabin for a few days of grouse hunting.  Second morning we up and at 'em just as grey dawn settling down on the woods.  We hunted up and down the hills and through the brush and brambles seeking an explosive brown ball leaping skyward. Nothing. Not a feather seen.

Later, after breakfast and chores ,brother sitting in the little outhouse with the door open,  enjoying the warmth of the sunrise and contemplating life in the woods when with a flutter and a cluck-cluck,  a nice big grouse landed on a small bush about five feet in front of the outhouse. Brother looks at grouse;  grouse looks at brother. They spent   time examining each other until my brother made a move and the grouse disappeared.

We didn't see him around the place for the rest of our stay.   But we found some of his cousins.

1 hour ago, Bobby Bass said:

Grouse have taken it up a notch, are now on the deck looking through the glass door this morning. Kind of like little kids asking if Duncan can come out and play!

Kind of hard for us to enjoy the fun. With Out pictures!!! :(

Soon, the males will be staking out drumming territory and that's when they get aggressive.

When I was in college, I was driving to class down our road at the time and there was a grouse that went into full display the closer i drove to it. I stopped and it ran under my truck. It then jumped on my hood, saw it's reflection in the glass, and proceeded to go on the attack on it's reflection in the glass. This was during the spring when they were drumming.

There should be good numbers this fall provided the spring holds out. Looks like warmer temps are coming

Edited by tacklejunkie

Inevitably at least twice each season I will leave the house, drive 45 minutes and walk some of my favorite grouse spots for hours and hours, seeing nothing.  Admitting defeat on that day, I will drive 45 minutes back home, only to find a covey of birds in the driveway...:lol: