• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Take supplements, die sooner.

delcecchi

Far out, man.  

Study: Those High-Priced Antioxidants May Be Killing You

https://www.studyfinds.org/study-antioxidants-supplements-vitamin/

BEIJING — Fear of mortality is one reason Americans spend so much on “antioxidant” products, including Vitamin C supplements and beta-carotene, which promise a longer healthier life. According to the National Institutes of Health, more than half of adults in the U.S. consume some kind of antioxidant product, spending $37 billion each year.

But a study http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231716304426 conducted in China – where aging is akin to a national obsession these days – claims that antioxidants don’t work as billed. The study is published in the journal Redox Biology.

A new study finds that antioxidant supplements may be more harmful to the human body than believed.

Rather than extending longevity, researchers say they trigger a stress reaction which causes the body to age more rapidly.

In other words, those expensive life-enhancers may actually be killing you.

Researchers discovered the relationship by studying how oxidants affected worms and human cells at various stages of development.  Oxidants, it turned out, had no measurable impact on aging.

But introducing antioxidants disturbed the mechanism in cells that resists aging and as a result, the cells began aging more rapidly — “unnaturally fast,” said Chen Chang, the lead scientist on the project at the Institute of Biophysics, part of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.

Chang and her team are especially concerned about their findings because of the widespread use of antioxidants among Chinese youth.

“More and more ‘white collar workers’ in their 20s are taking pills containing antioxidants such as Vitamin C and tea polyphenols. They must stop,” Chang told the South China Morning Post.

But older people are also more likely to die faster due to supplements, they found.  Chang recommended that anti-oxidant use in China and elsewhere be curtailed.

The Chinese study appears to confirm the results of a 2008 “meta-review” of 405 studies

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/jfs-special-results-of-largest-study-on.html

http://www.cochrane.org/CD007176/LIVER_antioxidant-supplements-for-prevention-of-mortality-in-healthy-participants-and-patients-with-various-diseases

comparing the longevity of people that consumed various kinds of vitamin supplements with those that took only a placebo.

That review, conducted by top medical researchers in Denmark, found no significant differences in the mortality rates of the two groups.

So far, none of these new studies has put a dent in the multi-billion dollar vitamin and supplement industry, which continues to promote the presumed anti-aging benefits of its products.

And there is little evidence that consumers are paying attention, either – or if they are, that they care.

But the evidence against antioxidants is mounting.

Another medical study conducted last year found that overuse of Vitamin D supplements was associated with a higher risk of falls in men and in women 70 years and older.

Apparently, Nature is sending a message:  Stop trying to reset your biological clock.

1 minute ago, tacklejunkie said:

You do end up with expensive urine. I think too many think supplements can cover for an unbalanced and bad diet.

Actually, the studies show that at least some of the supplements are harmful and don't have the overall beneficial effects hypothesized by their promoters.  

I thought that was an interesting fact.  The promoters will have to move on to new supplements that haven't been evaluated yet. 

44 minutes ago, swamptiger said:

Anything on the long term effects of rat poison?...

Several, if you are talking about warfarin aka coumadin.   

On the other hand, I don't think zinc phosphide is on the recommended list for consumption.

hey dont be dissin pharmacueticals!!!!!!!!:angry::cry: i spent 28 years building stainless steel vessels for them..........and 10 years now representing them workers!!!!!!!!

i gotz some left over pain meds................................................. :grin:

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

hey dont be dissin pharmacueticals!!!!!!!!:angry::cry: i spent 28 years building stainless steel vessels for them..........and 10 years now representing them workers!!!!!!!!

i gotz some left over pain meds................................................. :grin:

Ya, Flintstone chewables. :grin:

Beijing-

Nice educational piece. Hilarious.

Funny looking back at how everybody gangs up on the "crazy" person, seems like you all were searching for like minds cause you couldnt do it on youre own. Lol. You guys are too rich. I never posted here and theres a couple mentions of me. Makes me sleep well at night with you guys thinking about me so much.

On 2/21/2017 at 9:31 AM, tacklejunkie said:

You do end up with expensive urine. I think too many think supplements can cover for an unbalanced and bad diet.

Just eat well and you would need zero supplements, seems way easier and less expensive to boot.

Or get a great pair of Moobs.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43429933

More evidence essential oils 'make male breasts develop'

A suspected link between abnormal breast growth in young boys and the use of lavender and tea tree oils has been given new weight, after a study found eight chemicals contained in the oils interfere with hormones.

Gynaecomastia is rare, and there is often no obvious cause.

But there have been a number of cases linked to use of these essential oils.

The American study found that key chemicals in the oils boost oestrogen and inhibit testosterone.

Not everyone will have the same reaction to an essential oil.

The plant-derived oils are found in a number of products such as soaps, lotions, shampoos and hair-styling products. They're also popular as alternative cleaning products and medical treatments.

Lead researcher J. Tyler Ramsey from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), in North Carolina, suggested caution when using the oils.

"Our society deems essential oils as safe. However, they possess a diverse amount of chemicals and should be used with caution because some of these chemicals are potential endocrine disruptors."

A growing number of reported cases of male gynaecomastia have coincided with topical exposure to the oils.

After they stopped using the products, the symptoms subsided.

A previous study by Dr Kenneth Korach - who was also co-investigator for this study - found that lavender and tea tree oil had properties that competed with or hindered the hormones that control male characteristics, which could affect puberty and growth.

Image copyright Getty Images

The new study looked at eight key chemicals from the hundreds that make up the oils. Four of the tested chemicals appear in both oils and the others were in either oil.

They were tested on human cancer cells in the laboratory to measure the changes.

The researchers found all eight demonstrated varying degrees of promoting oestrogen and/or inhibiting testosterone properties.

"Lavender oil and tea tree oil pose potential environmental health concerns and should be investigated further," said Mr Ramsey.

Many of the chemicals tested appear in at least 65 other essential oils, which is of concern, he added.

(more)