• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Def Pump

Hoey

Recently I am seeing more, or I just started noticing diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) pumps at truck stops and some convenience stations.  I am on my second DuraMax and have been using the bottled DEF.  So I tried a DEF pump the other day and it took 15 minutes to get 3 gallons.  The lady at the cash register told us that there is a magnet on the pump nozzle, as a safety, that needs a metal fill spout in the truck to activate.  So two questions:

1)  Is there a magnet in the pump nozzle?

2)  How to make this work with my DuraMax with a plastic fill spout?

Thanks,

Hoey

Also never had a problem with my 15 Duramax.  Every fill of DEF was done at the Holiday on 169/41 in the Shakopee/Chaska area.  I'd say it took anywhere from 2-3 minutes pumping very slowly.

Best thing I did was get rid of the entire DEF system.  EFI Live (Kory Willis tunes) + 4" Flo Pro + MBRP Quiet Tone Muffler and about 4 hours took care of DEF fills at 3am in the middle of a road trip, regens, poor mileage, etc.  

1 hour ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Also never had a problem with my 15 Duramax.  Every fill of DEF was done at the Holiday on 169/41 in the Shakopee/Chaska area.  I'd say it took anywhere from 2-3 minutes pumping very slowly.

Best thing I did was get rid of the entire DEF system.  EFI Live (Kory Willis tunes) + 4" Flo Pro + MBRP Quiet Tone Muffler and about 4 hours took care of DEF fills at 3am in the middle of a road trip, regens, poor mileage, etc.  

Just out of curiousity, is it legal to remove pollution equipment from a vehicle?  

Thanks for the input.  I will try again, this time with my pliers next to the fill spout or something like that to see if that "activates the magnet.  

Google how a fuel pump nozel works. Ford uses a plastic def filler assembly. The pump we used at the dealer had no faults. There is no need for a metal object near the sense port of the nozel from my understanding how the novel works.

But if the sensor port is blocked it may be a slow fill. That or its not venting properly?