Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tacklejunkie

Preparing rabbit and hare

39 posts in this topic

How does one go about doing this? I have a few I shot last month and would really like to cook them up

26 minutes ago, tacklejunkie said:

How does one go about doing this? I have a few I shot last month and would really like to cook them up

Just like chicken! :)

My dad used to talk about Hassenpfeffer.   Take a look at the recipes on the net and see if any appeal.  

Braised or stewed basically.

Or check out French cookbooks.  

Skin 'em like a squirrel and cook them the same way. In a crock pot, or rolled in seasoned flour, brown in some oil and eat.

leech~~ and Big Dave2 like this

You can also put them on the grill with your favorite seasoning.

Since they are very lean typically, I would worry about them being tough and dry unless braised or something.  

I guess there is one way to find out.   Let us know how they come out.  

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Just like chicken! :)

+1.

throw a little salt and pepper on the meat, roll in flour and brown in a fry pan. put in roaster with some water. slice up some onion on top and bake. depending on how old the critter was should take about an hour and a half!!!!!!! if you like bay leaves add one of them too!!!!!!

works for tree rats also........aka squirrels!!!!!!!

Big Dave2, leech~~ and tacklejunkie like this

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Since they are very lean typically, I would worry about them being tough and dry unless braised or something.  

Marinate the cuts in buttermilk overnight.  This will tenderize the meat and remove gamy taste.

tacklejunkie likes this

14 hours ago, delcecchi said:

That is my concern regarding wild rabbit. I don't want to dry the hell out of them so grilling is out. Gonna try Smurfy's  recipe tonight. I haven't eaten  rabbit in ages but remember them being tasty. 

Appreciate and thanks to all that responded

Edited by tacklejunkie
smurfy and Mike89 like this

the only way I was not happy with rabbit was when I smoked some.  did that with a "tree rat" and that I thought was good smoked.  enjoy your feast!!

1 hour ago, tacklejunkie said:

That is my concern regarding wild rabbit. I don't want to dry the hell out of them so grilling is out. Gonna try Smurfy's  recipe tonight. I haven't eaten  rabbit in ages but remember them being tasty. 

Appreciate and thanks to all that responded

let me know what ya think. we also use this process with turtle!!!!!!!! but somehow moms turtle is always just a bit better!!!!

My granny would fricassee them.  Cut-up, season, braise in stock, remove, then add flour and butter to thicken the stock, season to taste, and return the pieces for a few minutes.  If we had a few quail or dove she would add them in as well.  HERE is a really good looking rabbit fricassee with mushrooms, wine and herbs served over pasta.  Would like to try this with chicken drumsticks or wings.

bottomdweller and RebelSS like this

6 hours ago, smurfy said:

let me know what ya think. we also use this process with turtle!!!!!!!! but somehow moms turtle is always just a bit better!!!!

Very tasty!

Along with a side salad, wild rice, all washed down with a Stout!!!

smurfy likes this

15 minutes ago, tacklejunkie said:

Very tasty!

Oh yeah, we can see that on the-Pictures!!!!!!!!! :angry:

45 minutes ago, tacklejunkie said:

Very tasty!

Good to here! Leech, maybe he fits my picture posting skills!:grin::P

leech~~ likes this

38 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Oh yeah, we can see that on the-Pictures!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Too late.

It's now undergoing the digestive process as I type;)

This is first rabbit dinner I've had since my early 20's and I'm going to be 57 this year. I shot them while grouse hunting this fall and winter but haven't specifically targeted them since I was much younger. I've never heard of anyone really going after them anymore

Edited by tacklejunkie
leech~~ likes this

I use to go for Snowshoes a lot in the winter with a scoped 22. It was fun sneaking through the pines looking for them. See the little black eye and "bing". 

Seems like they just fell off the face of the earth for many years so I just gave up trying for them. :(

I'm sure with the big "Down with Fur" thing and not many taking out as many Fox and Yotes by trapping it really took a hit on the bunnies!  I wrote the DNR back a few years ago and asked them about it and he said: we really don't manage the Rabbits at all.

And he gave me the old "Grouse BS". Their just at the bottom of their 10 year cycle! :whistle:  Seems to always be their answer!

Just now, leech~~ said:

I use to go for Snowshoes a lot in the winter with a scoped 22. It was fun sneaking through the pines looking for them. See the little black eye and "bing". 

Seems like they just fell off the face of the earth for many years so I just gave up trying for them. :(

I'm sure with the big "Down with Fur" thing and not many taking out as many Fox and Yotes by trapping it really took a hit on the bunnies!  I wrote the DNR back a few years ago and asked them about it and he said: we really don't manage the Rabbits at all.

And he gave me the old "Grouse BS". Their just at the bottom of their 10 year cycle! :whistle:  Seems to always be their answer!

Seems the hares are down from when I was younger but the cottontails seem plentiful enough. I popped these with a 20 gauge shotgun while grousing

Just now, tacklejunkie said:

Seems the hares are down from when I was younger but the cottontails seem plentiful enough. I popped these with a 20 gauge shotgun while grousing

To tell you the truth. I have never cleaned a cottontail ever that didn't have flees all over them in the winter. So I just stop hunting them and went for Snowshoes which are bigger and never found flees on them, oddly?

On 2/19/2017 at 7:59 PM, leech~~ said:

To tell you the truth. I have never cleaned a cottontail ever that didn't have flees all over them in the winter. So I just stop hunting them and went for Snowshoes which are bigger and never found flees on them, oddly?

I had that experience with the cottontails. I mentioned this to someone and they said leave them hang after death for a while and the fleas will leave as the body cools. I tried it and it worked. I can't say I will become a bunny hunter but will have no problems taking them as an incidental while grouse hunting. I don't deer hunt so maybe they can become my mammal for dinner

leech~~ and Jim Almquist like this

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, tacklejunkie said:

I did a lot (meaning 50-60+ hours) of walking each fall/winter for many years with a .22 through jack pines and cedar swamps, and I still go a  couple times a year now, but the population is way down in my area. I attributed this to the cycle at first, but they have simply never cycled back. I can't count how many double digit days my brother and I had over the years, and now a hard day of hunting seldom produces more than 4-5 hares.

We live in a small development on the edge of town and the same 4 are in our backyard everyday.  Lots of rabbit dump everywhere!  

20161210_135134.jpg

wabbit dump is extremely good fertilizer!!!!!!!!!!

I see dinner!!