• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Horizontal aluminum panels

Electrical Jesus

Hey guys I'm spending tonight buying everything from an oven to doors to windows for a spring time ice shack build. I have an order in for a 14' miltona drop down trailer. Here's my question... what would be the reason everyone runs their exterior aluminum paneling vertically? As far as water shedding wouldn't horizontal make more sense? I sure there is a reason just looking for advice...

Like Papa Bear said, unless you have 14' sheets you will have more seams.  Not only will you have to deal with the vertical seams on the studs but you will also have to deal with the horizontal seams.  More seams = more money and more chance for a leak.  VHB tape is not cheap so the less you have to buy the better. 

Edited by YettiStyle

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Electrical Jesus said:

Hey guys I'm spending tonight buying everything from an oven to doors to windows for a spring time ice shack build. I have an order in for a 14' miltona drop down trailer. Here's my question... what would be the reason everyone runs their exterior aluminum paneling vertically? As far as water shedding wouldn't horizontal make more sense? I sure there is a reason just looking for advice...

Electrical Jesus Welcome to the forum.

You must be quite an electrician? You've come to the right place for lots of good Ice house build ideas. These guys can actually 'Save" you, lots of time with good shortcuts!

36 minutes ago, Electrical Jesus said:

Yeah full blown electrician. I've been creepin on everyone's builds. I think I'm going to take a differen route for wiring mine than the typical 12v and 120v systems guys are putting in. I'll throw my build thread up once I pick up my trailer. 

What? European 220 volt and 50 Hz! :lol:

My thoughts exactly about 12 volt, no need at all, just a mess of weird wiring and potential problems. I left it out of my last build too and never missed it.Small LED battery lights will last a whole season on the batteries and do everything a 12 volt will do. A wall mounted furnace becomes more important though so you don't need to run the fan if a generator problem should happen or you run out of gas in the middle of the night.

25 minutes ago, Electrical Jesus said:

Definitely not European.  I don't see a need for having 12v.

Timely conversation with me, I am working on finishing the inside of my 8x12 skid which is primarily a day house 99% of the time.  The 2 items that I want to supply power to is lights and fan(s).  Just not sure the best way, I don't want to have to rely on a generator, I have one but don't want to bring it out with me all the time.  I think 12V may be my only option, but with a handle of "Electrical Jesus" I may be wrong and will be following your thought process closely!

Currently have a couple empires. Most likely toss one of them in. If I go with a furnace I'll use a small plug in step down transformer 120v AC to 12DC. They are cheap as hell basically an oversized cellphone charger.

Edited by Electrical Jesus

6 hours ago, Electrical Jesus said:

Currently have a couple empires. Most likely toss one of them in. If I go with a furnace I'll use a small plug in step down transformer 120v AC to 12DC. They are cheap as hell basically an oversized cellphone charger.

Computer power supplies are just as cheap and easier to install.  In my opinion, relying on just a generator for power is risky if you have a furnace.  Yes, Honda and Yamahas are fairly reliable but ice fishing is rarely ideal conditions for stuff to always work properly.  Having a battery backup of some sort just to run your furnace and a few lights is well worth the $100 in materials.  Even just a lawn mower battery to make it through the night would only cost you $35.  You may never use it but I'd rather be safe then cold and sorry.