Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Adam NWI

Waubay/ Bitter Ice Reports

12 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to get one last trip out this weekend before I put the permanent away for the season.  Does anyone know how the accesses are for the Waubay/ Bitter area?  Will they still hold up for a 1/2 ton truck and 21' permanent shack?  I haven't made it up that far yet this year, so I don't really know how it's been and the last couple weeks have been pretty warm.

 

Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions?  I'm not limited to just South Dakota.  I need to get my Minnesota fishing license renewed anyways if that's the direction I gotta go to find safe ice.

 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... Probably not worth chancing with the wheel house. We have had a few lakes in east central SD that have had close calls and break throughs. Landings are not going to be good with 40s and 50s through the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of safe ice in N.D. The warm weather isnt hurting the ice in N.D. It freezes up every night so the ice is still good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

... Probably not worth chancing with the wheel house. We have had a few lakes in east central SD that have had close calls and break throughs. Landings are not going to be good with 40s and 50s through the week.

Thanks for the info, that's what I was afraid of.

13 minutes ago, 1lessdog said:

Lots of safe ice in N.D. The warm weather isnt hurting the ice in N.D. It freezes up every night so the ice is still good.

I've never made it up to North Dakota fishing.  Do you have any recommendations other than Devils Lake?  That's a good 7 1/2 hours for me or longer with the wheelhouse.  Anything further south from there?

 

Otherwise is Mille Lacs still ok in Minnesota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mille Lacs is hot now if your not interested in eating!!

 

If you want to catch a lot with the potential of catching a wall mounter, I would go to Mille Lacs.

 

I'm headed up there this weekend with the kids, Plenty of ice just stay away from cracks and pressure ridges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, fishinfan said:

Mille Lacs is hot now if your not interested in eating!!

 

If you want to catch a lot with the potential of catching a wall mounter, I would go to Mille Lacs.

 

I'm headed up there this weekend with the kids, Plenty of ice just stay away from cracks and pressure ridges.

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up!  I look forward to the day when my girls are old enough to come fishing with me, but till then I'll enjoy the weekend with my buddies.

 

I've never been to Mille Lacs before.  Any recommendation on where to get on or any local bait shop that could point out the trouble areas to us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Adam NWI said:

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up!  I look forward to the day when my girls are old enough to come fishing with me, but till then I'll enjoy the weekend with my buddies.

 

I've never been to Mille Lacs before.  Any recommendation on where to get on or any local bait shop that could point out the trouble areas to us?

Everyone will always tell you the Flats are where to go.

 

I however have been going out of Lybacks. He has a pressure ridge out about 2 miles but the big hogs are being caught in shallow anyway. Eddy also has some of the most well maintained roads and I believe is the safest resort on the lake. Some people may not agree with him, but I always know I am safe when I go out on the lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I was reading his fishing report earlier.

 

Is he ok with people taking their own wheelhouses out of his access?  I sure wouldn't mind paying a fee to use roads he goes out of his way to maintain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adam NWI said:

Thanks! I was reading his fishing report earlier.

 

Is he ok with people taking their own wheelhouses out of his access?  I sure wouldn't mind paying a fee to use roads he goes out of his way to maintain.

 

No problem at all, wheel houses go out all the time. he charges a rate and just requests you keep the speed down and respect his rules and other fisherman on the lake.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great!  I really appreciate the info.  Maybe we'll meet you out there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your best bet is to call Sportsman Cove up in Webster when the weekend gets a bit closer. They are always pretty honest with their assessments, especially when it comes to safety.

 

605-345-2468

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got off big stone yesterday. ice not good. areas of open water from springs are opening up. access won't make the wekend. go north!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Posts

    • Looks like a lot of rocks.  Could be some fish laying on the bottom.  I look for separation between the object and the shadow.
    • Its a whole new world down there with SI and DI.   After you learn what the picture is showing you,  you'll wonder what took so long to get it   I was a Lowrance guy for years and made the switch to H'bird this year with the new Solix with Mega chirp.  Very happy with it so far.  Amazing clarity and images.  
    • Swiveldigger picked up his 3rd win of the year with 342 pts. and jumped from 11th to 5th in the standings.   2--fishingstar  322 3--88fan    316 3--huckfin  316 5--Juneau4  310 6--BlackLundProV  308                                               HIGHEST  WEEKLY SCORE HAS BEEN   CATZMAN                                                                                                                   365 7--Catzman  268 8--jar jar  242 9--mnwildman  224 10--gregg52  174 11--Musky999  128   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Standings 1--Juneau4  2170 2--Catzman  2121 3--fishingstar  2092 4--88fan   2052 5--Swiveldigger  1995 6--mnwildman  1994 7--Gregg52   1985 8--BlackLundProV  1975 8--huckfin  1975 10-jar jar   1947 11-Musky999  1890 
    • Back to the original reply- which one and which size? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Emergency-Battery-Backup-Sump-Pump-System-BWE/100055241   Amperage (amps) 6.5   Or, if you want to be serious then install a few of these bad boys. I call it the Mother Of All Backups or MOAB for short.   https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/SUMPRO-SUMPROGOLD-Sump-Pump/p2565.html  
    • Has anyone been on Clear yet this season? Thinking about heading that way in a few weeks to try for some walleye and yellows. 
    •   Well wasn't cheap but you got fixed and it would have been a real mess if she blew out on the lake.
    • Congrats looks like a beautiful and productive lake! Nice work. 
    • Ended up being the clutch dog and reverse gear were wore out... 550 for parts...I almost ended up getting a whole new lower unit, but a buddy was able to find the parts...The shop said they discontinued the parts Yada Yada Yada, but some shop in Hackensack was able to find them I guess...just want the dang boat back ha...
    • That's rough DrJ, were you on public or private land?   
    • They're finally playing someone outside of the central division tonight, so we'll see what happens. Did Sano get suspended for throwing a punch yesterday?
  • Our Sponsors