• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ion blade issue?? Mine keep breaking

Shaun

Wondering if anyone is having issues with their ION auger blades breaking? I bought an ION last year, and the first set of blades lasted about 20 holes before one broke. So I bought a new set, drilled about 50 holes with them last year and now about 30 this year and another one broke last week. So I have went through two sets in 100 holes, that is not good. Does anyone have the same issue that I am having with their blades??

My Ion isn't very old but I'm sure I have a couple hundred holes with it at least, and no breaking blade problems.  The only problem I did have was dulling and nicking my blade edges cutting through dirty ice on the river.  

I just took my blades off and sharpened them a couple days ago.  When putting them back on I was sure to not over torque the bolts.  That's the only way I can think of to "break" a blade.  How are yours breaking?

Another thing I realized today is I've been pushing down too hard when drilling with sharp blades.  It makes more pressure than necessary and shortens battery life.  Are you pushing down when you're drilling?  Once the auger starts cutting you only need to hold on to it and let it do its own work.

I hardly put any pressure on the auger when drilling, I read in the manual when I bought it that you are not supposed to put pressure on it so that isn't the issue. As far as tightening the blades, I tighten them until the bolt is pretty tight, but didn't think I was putting too much torque, but maybe I did?  They have all broke off at the outer bolt. Last night I was out fishing and the guy next to me was using an Ion, so I asked him if he has had any issues, he said no, but he heard Ion got a big shipment of bad blades a while back, not sure if that is true or not though. I also had to replace the powerhead under warranty last year, the transmission or gear box started grinding after about 15 holes so I sent it back and they sent me a new one, I'm hoping I didn't get a lemon!

That sounds like a manufacturing defect.

The only way- and this is not an accusation- that I would think they would break is if it got dropped and cracked the blades. Other than that I can't see it be an issue of being too tight or anything else. Give customer service a call. 

I just put the new set on that Ion sent me this week, and noticed these blades are 1/8" smaller than the last set I had on there. The first two sets say for model 11733. The new set lists five different models, but the model I have, 19706, isn't even listed in the five models. Last year Ion told me all the 8" blades are the same, but now they are smaller and list more models so I'm not sure what is going on with that, I guess ill call tomorrow. They also said it could be a bad pitch in the auger which would make them snap off but said that is very uncommon.