• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoys/Advice

BRULEDRIFTER

To all the experienced turkey hunters here, what's your preferred decoy spread, when and why?

Looking at decoys, I see a guy could spend $30-$200. Are turkeys that keen to notice the details? I enjoy turkey hunting a lot, but I live a long way from turkey country and don't get after them as often as I'd like. I have an old cheaper hen deek and an inflatable feeding hen deek. Looking to get a jake for sure, and possibly a new hen. 

I got drawn for the B season in 508, anyone hunt around Hinkley/Pine City area?

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

I personally use one hen and one Jake decoy most of the season.  If I am wondering locating birds in a run and fun style i just bring  the hen decoy.   

My decoys are of the cheaper variety, and have worked for me.  Although, I wonder if a higher end decoy would've help many times.

Never underestimate the ficklness of the wild turkey.  They can certainly range from brainless to the smartest creature in the woods!  Which is usually is a step above me most days!

I also USUALLY have one hen and one jake.  One or the other would probably be enough in most situations.  Early in the season if flocks are still pretty large, I may add another hen or two, but this probably isn't necessary.

One thing about set-up.  I will always have the jake facing me.  IF a tom is going to respond and commit, he will come to the jake first and get in his face to confront him.  Be sure that jake is facing you and be well within your range, that will put the gobbler right in your lap.

BTW, I feel the newer more realistic dekes are worth the money, especially if your time in the field is limited. Avian X and Dave Smith (DSD) are the two leading companies right now.

Good luck!

I have a whole arsenal of decoys.  I guess if spending the money on decoys made me more likely to shoot, I would be sitting pretty.  I just like to try different options, but in all honesty , haven't spent the time I have wanted to see if they all work.  I have had success with no decoys, jake and hen, 2 hens and a jake, just a hen, a strutter jake and a hen.  I have also had more non successes with all of these than I have had successes.  I have a Best turkey decoy jake, an avian hen, a avian strutter, and a DSD hen.  

I bought a turkey fan for this spring to try.  It just looks too fun not to give it a whirl.  I have some very private turf to try it on, and look forward to making it happen with it.  The videos just make it look like so much fun! 

If anyone needs decoys, let me know and I would definitely be willing to let you give it a go, but I may have to go with just to watch the addiction unfold.

Good luck this spring.

I use avian x i up graded from my grandpas old foam decoys. I am excited to get the nephews out chasing turkeys 

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Listen to donbo and scoot they put some time in the turkey blinds. Donbo told me have my jake facing me and the tom never made to the jake before I stuck em

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I use avian x i up graded from my grandpas old foam decoys. I am excited to get the nephews out chasing turkeys 

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Listen to donbo and scoot they put some time in the turkey blinds. Donbo told me have my jake facing me and the tom never made to the jake before stuck em

Haha, mostly just listen to Donbo!  He's forgotten more about turkey hunting than I'll likely ever figure out...

Like Don said make sure to have that Jake decoy facing you. Don't be afraid to try without decoys if birds are hanging up on you. I have more success without decoys but times I have tried with. If the location allows I like to have a hill or rise so the birds need to come and look closer than being able to just scan looking for the hen and then hanging up too far out.

I most likely do it backwards I get setup without decoys first checking out how the birds are acting if I have not had time to scout. As the hunt goes on I might start to setup a spread of a Jake and hen or just the hen.

Using a shotgun my decoys are little further out but with bow my decoys are close to the blind might look funny but helps so birds will not hang up out of range or trying to not have them hang up out of range.

Another thing that might be underrated is turkey decoy movement! I will wraps fishing line around my strutter. So if I see a bird I will spin its half to full turn!!! 

If a bird has seen a lot of setups... and they are not moving they can hang up. 

On 2/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, ANYFISH2 said:

I personally use one hen and one Jake decoy most of the season.  If I am wondering locating birds in a run and fun style i just bring  the hen decoy.   

My decoys are of the cheaper variety, and have worked for me.  Although, I wonder if a higher end decoy would've help many times.

Never underestimate the ficklness of the wild turkey.  They can certainly range from brainless to the smartest creature in the woods!  Which is usually is a step above me most days!

Ditto, almost exactly the same. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on decoys if your just starting.

Turkey hunting 005.jpg

Turkey hunting 004.jpg

Can it? Yes.  Will it? All depends on thier mood THAT day.

Jakes(turkeys in general) are silly birds, i have seen groups of jakes rush in to run of mature toms before.  So i that instance anything with a beard would have brought them in.

I use a jake unless they tell/show me they dont like the decoys.  Then adjust accordingly.  There is a lot of trial and error each season for turkeys.

I've always enjoyed this topic.  Last spring I had the opportunity to hunt the entire season with a bow, so I tried a lot of different combinations with and without decoys.  I am convinced that if you're committed to shooting a gobbler with a bow, then I would buy the best decoys you can afford--the more lifelike the better.  They will last a LONG time.  If you're hunting with a shotgun, I don't believe that high-end decoys are as crucial.  That being said, my only turkey hunting purchase this spring will be a pair of new decoys.  Which ones?  I still haven't decided. 

I'm a little late to the convo, but I would agree with the statement that high end dekes get more attention and will draw them in closer. If you're looking to shoot a turkey with a bow, the quality of the deke and proper posture makes a huge difference in getting them in close. 

I use a Best Turkey Decoy jake. Its expensive, hard body, full-size 1/4 strut jake and it flat out gets birds. I've gone 100 percent on bow opportunities since adding that deke. Its ridiculous. They aren't magic by any means, but I would say your odds are better with, than without. 

My other deke is a HS Strut, collasible hen. Its very lifelike and folds up small which is nice. The only other deke I may add is the AvianX breeding hen that lies on the ground.

For those who mentioned "fanning" or "reaping", it can be a great way to get birds. I've done it twice now and its worked great, but for safety's sake, only use this on private land.