Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

BTL

Outboard motor height. Is this gonna work?

14 posts in this topic

I recently found a great deal on a Lowe 1667 V hull and I was hoping to put this old 25hp Evinrude on it, but it looks like the motor is too short. Do you think this setup will work at all or is it a lost cause?

bff886d8-de37-49ab-9fd6-d77995e0c91a.jpg

I vote lost cause.   As soon as it planes the prop will grab air and not push the boat.   

BoxMN likes this

That's why it's a great deal. Might make a good garden tiller. ;)

The Evinrude/Johnson 25 is easily convertible to long shaft.  Check with outboard salvage suppliers or the big auction site.

28 minutes ago, swamptiger said:

The Evinrude/Johnson 25 is easily convertible to long shaft.  Check with outboard salvage suppliers or the big auction site.

Really? That's good news, cause I would love to keep this motor. It's an 80s model but runs very well. I will check out the auction site.

24 minutes ago, BTL said:

Really? That's good news, cause I would love to keep this motor. It's an 80s model but runs very well. I will check out the auction site.

Yes, there is an extension housing for the long shaft conversion that bolts onto the lower unit.  You will also need a longer drive shaft and shift rod, and the gaskets.  Most of the suppliers sell everything together as a conversion kit.

There are tons of parts available for the Evinrude 25 at relatively low prices because they were a very popular model.

BTL likes this

Well darn, I'm finding lots of other Evinrude extension kits but not one for my E25RCCA. I've got the part number but the dealers no longer have it in stock and nobody is selling one on the auction site. Maybe my particular model was not very popular. This is gonna take some digging...

1 hour ago, BTL said:

Well darn, I'm finding lots of other Evinrude extension kits but not one for my E25RCCA. I've got the part number but the dealers no longer have it in stock and nobody is selling one on the auction site. Maybe my particular model was not very popular. This is gonna take some digging...

call twin cities outboards.    

Or sell yours and buy a long shaft.   An 80's two stroke can't be that expensive...

If you change things. Check the lower unit out well! Judging by the pictures, the prop is kind of beat up.

Yep, the prop is really beat up. Previous owner definitely met a few rocks.

After extensive searching, it appears that the extension for this particular motor is nearly impossible to find. It's one of only a few that Bay Mfg doesn't make an extension for.

I did find an outboard mechanic who was willing to trade me for it, but the motor he has is remote steer so I would have to install a wheel, cables, throttle control, etc. to accommodate that. Kinda tempting though. Anyone here ever installed steering in a boat?

Did you try calling these guys like Del suggested? They have been in the repair and used parts bizz for as long as I can remember. They have tons of old motor parts.

Twin cities outboards. 

600 Canterbury Rd S, Shakopee, MN 55379

Phone: (952) 496-1951

4 hours ago, BTL said:

I did find an outboard mechanic who was willing to trade me for it, but the motor he has is remote steer so I would have to install a wheel, cables, throttle control, etc. to accommodate that. Kinda tempting though. Anyone here ever installed steering in a boat?

This would be a big job if your boat wasn't originally equipped with remote steering.  You would be better off to buy the motor from the mechanic if he has a reasonable price on it, and convert it to tiller steering with parts from your motor.  The bonus here would be you could either keep the motor you have for parts, or convert it to remote steer using parts from the other motor, and sell it.

None of this is necessarily feasible if you can't do the work yourself...

BTL likes this

Update

I was able to get an extension kit from Tim's Outboard! Couldn't believe it, I checked all over the internet and local shops and NOBODY had the right one for my motor, but Tim's was able to dig one up. It was a great price too, much less than I expected to pay. They shipped it out to me and I'll be installing it on Sunday. Thanks to swamptiger for the suggestion!

delcecchi and swamptiger like this