• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saturday MorningFishing Shows

Bobby Bass

I had the ten year old grandson over, the one who fishes and we settled in on the couch to watch some Saturday fishing shows. I just got cable back after not having it for a few years and have not yet got gotten caught up on the Saturday morning outdoors scene. The grandson watched for about ten minutes then wandered off to see when his grandma was doing, The reason why? The fishing show we were watching was just about fishing with the latest hi tech sonar.

I kept watching fishing shows and every one was about hi tech gear whether it was for open water or ice fishing. It may be me but I don’t know to many kids fishing who are sitting watching graphs. What happen to shows aimed at the youth or just starting fishing person? Shows about chasing gills and catfish, how to fish from a shore or fishing rivers. How to get unsnaged or how many sinkers you need. Different kind of floats. Hook sizes, how to put a worm on or which end of a leech is the head. I grew up fishing out of a 12 foot rowboat with a couple of oars. You can’t find them boats at a sports show these days. Unless the young folks learn how to fish they are not going to fish and down the road you are going to lose that buyer for the 50k boat and 2k graph because they are not fishing.

I quit watching fishing shows a long time ago due to the fact most are just infomercials. I get so sick of someone trying to say this is the best way catch fish and yet they are guided to the spot. I bought my S-14 Lund from my dad when he upgraded to a S-16. Caught a lot of fish out of that boat but more importantly I learned how to fish.  

25 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

I quit watching fishing shows a long time ago due to the fact most are just infomercials. I get so sick of someone trying to say this is the best way catch fish and yet they are guided to the spot. I bought my S-14 Lund from my dad when he upgraded to a S-16. Caught a lot of fish out of that boat but more importantly I learned how to fish.  

Boy, do I ever agree with that. I got laughed at in my 16' Rebel SS with the 30 HP on the back when I fished walleye tourneys. It shut their mouth when my livewell was fulla fish, though.

23 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Get a set of rabbit ears and a 13" Admiral black and white. That's what real fisherman watch.

Yep, a scene full of snow.  That admiral not gonna do much with those digital signals those new fangled Brad casters are using these days.  Curse you FCC.

I really miss the old In-Fisherman, Tony Dean, BASSMASTERs, Babe Winkleman (even though he fished Red for like 80% of his shows during the slabfests), etc.  Now, its either the severe brand plugging that you guys are talking about or some made up tournament style show.  

"hey, hey, hey John Gillespie..."  I can only hear a fishing net get called a Frabill so many times before I refuse to watch.  Jason Mitchell is extremely boring to watch too, zero expression.

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Al Lindner is still doing shows, only as "angling edge".   viewable on youtube or http://anglingedge.com/

The Pursuit Channel airs Lindner's Angling Edge on Monday's at Noon.  I just record the series and watch whenever I have time.  Lotta repeats for a while but now I'm seeing some new shows.  

Just got done with dinner and watching Americana Outdoors with Wade Middleton and Clark Wendlandt flippin some Texas bass.  I like Clark.  He came up through the Federation ranks and one of the guys I root for in the FLW tourneys which is my favorite to watch.  Just a good humble fisherman.

Sorry Bobby, but the days of Virgil Ward type shows are a niche market that you'll have to search for.  Used to love watching him and Tony Dean.  Heck back in the day it was a privilege to see ANY fishing on TV so we always soaked it up.  I think the key to getting your little man hooked on fishing is to take him out as much as possible.  Show him what Lake Iwannabethere is all about. :)

lol at whining about them being infomercials.  WE DEMAND THESE GUYS MAKE US INFORMATIVE SHOWS AT NO COST TO US OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEART FOR NO COMPENSATION!!

that being said, some due it way better than others.  some shows are facilitators for guides to show off a fishery, and some shows the hosts actually know what they are doing and show you how to find fish. 

I've certainly bought fishing lures, and ventured to new lakes based on some of the fishing shows I've watched. I buy a Wisconsin license every year, due solely because of watching Gillespie! My favorite show is as simple and old school as it gets...Butch Furtman's outdoor journal! 

8 hours ago, hnd said:

lol at whining about them being infomercials.  WE DEMAND THESE GUYS MAKE US INFORMATIVE SHOWS AT NO COST TO US OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEART FOR NO COMPENSATION!!

Surely you jest. :D

They only do it FOR the money!  LOL!

I miss the old fishing and outdoor shows that had some entertainment value to them. I always get a chuckle when I see any clip of Bill Dance falling in the lake. Does anyone remember Mutual of Omaha’s "Wild Kingdom" with Marlin Perkins riding in a Land Rover while every week Jim Fowler was running barefoot for his life from something that if it caught him it would kill him. I always watched waiting for that. Roland Martin catching big bass and Jimmy Houston kissing every fish he caught. Fishing shows were fishing shows not what we can sell you this week. I am still waiting to find out how you tie them balloons to your line when you are fishing big shiners down south. Guess those days are gone because shows need to feature a product to stay on the air, to bad the days fishing shows could teach you something are gone. The best ways are to take your kids out and show them how but how many of us our sitting behind our fancy graphs looking at pictures instead of holding a rod and feeling for the bottom or watching a bobber or better yet watching some once else’s bobber get bounced by a gill. When did fishing become about 50k boats and 20k ice houses. I always thought it was about having some down time and enjoying friends. Now when I fish with my buddies they are busy answering their phones with their wife's checking on them, might be why I prefer to go alone.

I like reading the comments, guys bring up the old names from these parts. Jimmy Dean was a god in South Dakota, the Linders of course and don’t forget a guy with out a show but might be the best walleye fishermen out there, Gary Roach. Butch Furtman, a local guy who does a little of everything. We have no shortage of guys who can hunt and fish and we all know someone.

Trouble is they can’t teach our kids we have to. I have said for years to my friends that right now will be the "Good Old Years" to our kids. For me it was the seventies when I used to walk through coveys of Grouse and not shoot. For my wife's grandpa who was born in the 1880’s he said the good old years were in the thirties for him. He said he could go out to the creek and walk to the other side on the back of northerns who were heading up stream to spawn. Of course he could not really do that but he was saying there was a lot of fish in the creek compared to 1974 when I first met him and he showed me the little creek in his back yard that the city had let fill up with dirt. Yup, them were the "Good Old Days"

I really like Fishing the Midwest with BOb Jensen and Mike Frisch. Good show on Midwest lakes. Sure they talk about their sponsors but they have to make money as well. I have bought product I have seen in shows. 

Lindners Angling Edge is also one of my favorites. 

Edited by Team Walleye

I record quite a few weekend shows and get to watch them when my wife lets me use the remote ,,, I used to watch Butch Furtman but I struggle with his fish handling skills ,,especially those he releases,,, Since I got hooked on greal lakes fishing I watch Salmon Showdown and other YouTube videos about salmon fishing just so I can figure out the acronyms of the lures they use   

Youtube is the way to go. So many cool little self filmed fishing shows on there. Heck I have a channel myself where I record my fishing trips. Uncut angling is cool, I also like Peelindrag because he is out of Michigan like me. Screw those commercial filled, cheesy scripted fishing shows on tv. Times have changed in my opinion.