• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generator on ice

TRPLTRBL

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Sometimes the vibration will attract fish. And yes, sometimes it can spook them. I wouldn't worry about it though unless you are fishing shallow.

No.  Why am I so certain?  Because I've been fishing with one 15' from my IC for the last 5 seasons and I've iced a lot of fish.

As far as shallow vs deep goes, I was on URL couple years ago, fishing 8 fow in sleds and portables.  EVERY time we fired up one of the sleds, we caught a fish.  Not exaggerating.  Could've been a fluke, but it happened all weekend, became the running joke to fire one up if/when there was a lull in action.

Always keep mine in the back of the truck with the topper door open for ventilation and make sure it does not overheat. Every Night at bedtime I turn it off as well as during the daylight when lights, tv, microwave are not needed as a courtesy to others nearby.

plenty of people catch fish with a genny on the ice. plenty of peopl catch fish trolling in open water, it seems like as long as its a constant noise, it isnt really an issue..but i keep mine under my tauno cover as well.

Holes sleeves, banking, and circulate the warm air. 

Sometimes noise can turn the fish on.  Seems if I warm up the truck or wheeler, sure enough the fish start biting.  Hard to leave with fish under you and now your late for supper.  :) 

One trip we had a group of guys fishing tipups for pike,   We stood around in the center of our spread. When a flag went off, imagine a Survivor contest and who could get to the flag 1st.  Tripping and tackling was OK.  With all the commotion more flags would pop.

I'm pretty sure no one wants to listen to some one's generator, especially if they don't have one.  Somehow you just have to work it out.   In the back of the truck insulates some of the sound and if covered protects it from snow.  Be careful about putting a gen outside your shack.  If the wind is right it can and has entered the shack and poisoned the occupants with carbon monoxide.

IMO music doesn't attract fish and I think scares them BUT if you have your boom box turned up to drown out the neighbors gen it equals everything out.

If you have a quite generator you should be fine to run it all day and night. I know the honda, yamaha, and champion 2000 watt inverter generators on the eco mode barely make any noise. My uncle uses a yamaha,I use a champion, and my cousin uses a honda. All of them can barely be heard inside the Ice Castle. In fact the bubbler on the engle bait cooler is louder and we have to shut it off to hear if the generator is running. We have fished with them on the ice, in back of the pickup box, and also ran extention cords to get them a bit farther from the hut. Never seemed to scare any fish away. IMO, just running an extra length cord and putting it in the back of the pickup box to keep the vibration off the ice and somewhat damppen the noise is what I try to do. Never had anyone complain or problems with anyone being upset. Put an extended run fuel tank on the generator and your good for about close to 60hrs of run time with them. 

On February 3, 2017 at 10:34 PM, TRPLTRBL said:

Thanks! Right now the problem is holes freezing up with house banked, heat at 70, & hole sleeves! Any suggestions?

Get a used stove pot from a second hand store or a cheapo from walmart. Then dip lake water into the pot heat it up on the stove dump down your ice hole that is shrinking. Repeat steps to keep holes open. Also works to get transducers out of a frozen in hole edge.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:34 PM, TRPLTRBL said:

Thanks! Right now the problem is holes freezing up with house banked, heat at 70, & hole sleeves! Any suggestions?

I use a fan to keep the heat down and it works good for me.

Edited by Big Dave2