• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ham, Cabbage and Potatoes

56 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

you forgot the carrots in the title!!  looks great!!

kraut instead of cabbage is good too

Carrots and onions too!

I'll have to try it sometime with kraut but we were hungry for cabbage so that's why I made this in the first place.

Hey Dave, can I give you a tip? Don't fill it so full, for food safety reasons...keep stuff down at least 1 1/2" below top..especially if doing chicken parts, etc. (never pop a whole bird in) Just sayin'.....

Otherwise, I'll take a large bowl of that, please! :P

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Hey Dave, can I give you a tip? Don't fill it so full, for food safety reasons...keep stuff down at least 1 1/2" below top..especially if doing chicken parts, etc. (never pop a whole bird in) Just sayin'.....

Otherwise, I'll take a large bowl of that, please! :P

Yeah, I didn't intend to fill it that full but I got carried away with the potatoes and it all snowballed from there! :D

I wasn't too worried though since the only things being cooked were the vegetables as the ham was already pre-cooked. The cabbage cooked down in an hour or two and you can see in the second photo how much lower everything was by the time it was done.

Thanks for the tip!

No prob, just don't want anyone getting sick from their own cooking! I'm big on food safety. My best buddy runs the school cafeterias here, and is a master of food safety, lemme tell ya. They have monthly credits they have to keep up to keep their certs.

2 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

No prob, just don't want anyone getting sick from their own cooking! I'm big on food safety. My best buddy runs the school cafeterias here, and is a master of food safety, lemme tell ya. They have monthly credits they have to keep up to keep their certs.

I hear ya there. I was in the Grocery business for 15 years. We had a full service meat counter and a deli that prepared food so I know a little about food safety too but I'll admit that some things have changed since then and some things I have forgotten.:D

34 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

I now own a 8 qt crock pot, can't find liners for it yet.

This is a bit over-kill but it would work:

roaster liner.jpg

33 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

8 Qt.?!  Whaddya cook in there, elephants?! :P  

Jeez, you just told me my 6 qt. was too full....