• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concrete jacking or remove and replace

Tom7227

There is a section of a walkway up against my house that has tilted about 3 inches on the outside edge.  The piece is about 20 feet X 4 feet.  Would you recommend jacking or R&R?  Any idea on the relative cost?  I am thinking about a residing job using either Hardi Board or LP.  Which would you use and why one over the other.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Why has it tilted and are you certain it has completely stopped settling? If it was due to bad compaction it could continue after jacking. It's often best to remove, pack it properly and then pour a new pad IME.

As to the siding it's a horse a piece. Both have good and bad points. 

We had two pieces of concrete, one about 10 by 10 mudjacked years ago and are very happy with the results.

I don't recall pricing but it was reasonable (or I would remember) and fast.   If the concrete slabs are otherwise in good shape, I would certainly do the mudjack.   Less mess and fuss and cheaper to boot.

Wait until Spring until the ground has settled completely before you do anything. Jacking works great if they use the concrete type slurry and not the foam stuff .  Price depends on how big a void you have and area you want to raise...I had 3 slabs done for $200. They've stayed perfect for five years...

Should have made this more clear.

The house was built in 65 and so what it is is what it is.  The section that is a problem has been a problem for 30 years.  When the home was first built this piece was the apron to a garage and so has a slant away from the building.  The garage was turned into a family room and the driveway area was turned into a garden.  I suspect that the removal of the asphalt and gravel loosened things up and allowed the concrete to tilt.  It is still at grade and tight at the wall which surprises me a bit.

This isn't something that has to be done ASAP.  I am considering having it fixed when we do the work on the house later this year.

Thanks again for your time.

Tom

Mudjacking, using the concrete slurry is an excellent and lower cost option to R&R if the slab isn't cracked.  I have this done on properties way more often and haven't had recurring issues.

The only thing I can say about the siding is that I liked the Hardie siding I put on my last house and would use it again for a lap siding project.