• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gps flasher unit combo help

jay83196

I have a Helix 5 (same as Helix7, only smaller) that I move from my boat to a small stand with a battery. It is very nice having one unit that will do everything. i agree with Billy G that it is not the best flasher, but it works well enough for me. It would be nice if it had a zoom feature.

The maps that come on the unit are very basic, you will want a chip.

If you are on a budget, this is the way to go.

I've never used the a Helix, but when I need GPS I use my Lowrance Elite 5 out of my boat and put on an ice transducer.  It's set up the same way as they sell the Lowrance Ice Pack.  Works great for me.  I just use it in freshwater mode and set the depth to manual.  When I need to move I just change the screen to gps.  Great all in one unit if you're on a budget.

Again, you would need to get a chip because the factory gps maps are pretty basic.

What unit is it flasher and GPS? 

Thanks

So sounds like flasher isn't great on these? I was hoping to get something for both maps and then fish with it so I don't have drag the vexilar along....is it just slower, meaning has a little lag time or fish separation bad? Can anybody speak to the flasher on the helix good or bad? Also are most units just less reactive than a vexilar?

Thanks 

I use a helix in flasher mode, its works just like any other flasher I have fished with. The GPS is just an added bonus and having it combined in one unit is great. I used my helix5 in open water on my kayak and have been more than pleased with it so far this winter. Its a bit of a learning curve with all the features but I have no regrets and its been great and I even sold my old marcum flasher.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:57 AM, rundrave said:

The helix 5 does have a zoom feature in flasher mode. I cant remember if its UP arrow or RIGHT arrow and the + button

I tried all directions and + with no luck on getting the unit to zoom.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:57 AM, rundrave said:

The helix 5 does have a zoom feature in flasher mode. I cant remember if its UP arrow or RIGHT arrow and the + button

I tried all directions and + with no luck on getting the unit to zoom.

I use my Helix 5 when my son is along and wants to use the Vex. Works great and doesn't make my eyes bug out after a long day. Sometimes I have problems picking up small tungsten jigs past 10 ft but may have more to do with water clarity. Need to get a chip for it and I'll never leave it at home.