• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time To Buy Used ATV's?

SkunkedAgain

My snowmobile died and I'm now going to switch over to an ATV. When is a good time of the year to find decent prices and selections on used ATVs? I've been scanning the clist and atv trader but am new to the market. Is this a good time or wait until late summer/fall when guys are dumping their old ones to buy new for deer season?

Spring or fall.

Spring are the guys that can't get it start from sitting all winter or it's running like craap so they want to dumb it.:(

Fall are the guys that beat the craap out of them one last summer and want to dump them before a new one for Deer hunting. :(

Take your pick! Good Luck. :)

right now is as good as any because everyone seems to want the latest and greatest UTV now days so ATV's can be had cheap especially sport quads.

There are lots of good deals to be had on used models. The only problem I find are the guys that buy brand new, take out a huge loan plus interest and then expect to get what they owe for them when they try to sell.

When buying new its pays to shop around I am amazed how low some prices are compared to others for new models at big stealerships that move a lot of volume.

I got mine the first week of April last year. Seemed like a good time to buy. She's still running great never had a issue and been a great machine. Just definitely watch before buying check every thing over, hear it run, drive it, make sure every thing on it works. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

As this is my first time owning an ATV, I've been doing a lot of reading up on what to check out. I've bought quite a few cars and boat motors so just need to make sure I'm looking for the ATV-specific stuff.

This will be a utility purchase, need something for hauling gear and logs up north plus transportation across the lake in the winter - i.e. 4x4. I'll keep my eyes open for decent options. Unfortunately my wallet says this will not be a new ATV, so something on the used end of the spectrum.

I don't know if there is necessarily a "best" time to buy. Just decide what you want and keep looking for it until you find what you are looking for at the price you want to pay.

What are you looking for? Maybe someone here will have something to sell and contact you?

I'm just looking for a utility 4x4. I'm not necessarily picky as long as it's a dependable machine. I don't need a plow, I can add a winch if it doesn't have one, and all of the fancy amenities such as EPS and ESP are nice but not required. Electric start is preferred but I think most of them have that these days. Manual or automatic tranny will work. This thing is going to do slow rides on rocky/swampy trails during the warmer months, hauling firewood from the back woods to my cabin. There are no straightaways or flat areas to go much beyond first or second gear so no real trail riding - we are locked on a big forested island. In the winter is the only time the machine might stretch it's legs, traversing the 1/4 mile across our bay to the access road if the snow isn't prohibitively deep.

I'm trying to finagle my first ever Canada fly-in trip this summer, so I can't break the bank on an ATV. If anyone has a decent rig that is in that 5 to 15yr old range I'd be interested in hearing what you've got!

One thing that I am happy for my older 2003... it still has a pull start in addition to the electric start. I have already seen 3 buddies electric start only already give up the ghost in the very cold weather - once you can't crank it, and can't pull it, you are screwed. Buddy now always carries a portable jump pack, and this was on a 5 week old unit. Probably bad battery... but still ;)

I have honda foreman with ES and I like it, but when battery gets low it can be hard to shift. I just keep it on tender now and no probs. One thing I noticed in using buddies Polaris atvs, if you plow (and you said you won't, and I don't have plow on mine either) I can see how the shift stick tranny is easier than the left hand (with red reverse button..!!) gear shifting on the Honda. It would be a pita if you have to reverse a lot, I would think. Winch and shift all with your left thumb ;)

I got lucky when I got mine from a buddy, good price and good unit, and I really like it. It is my pack mule, though a buddy who trail rides says it rides horrible compared to new suspensions, but i don't care, you shoudl see the size wood loads I can get into the rear drop basket, front rack and still pulling a trailer full :)

FWIW, I paid $2200 for it about 4-5 years ago, with only about a couple hundred miles and very low hours, but my buddy gave me heck of a deal. I am guessing it still would fetch around $3000 or more if I put it for sale, and it would be well worth that price.

I have a polaris and using the reverse overide isnt a big deal once you get used to it. You can simply unplug one wire to disable it otherwise you can still drive in reverse you just wont have AWD drive and your RPMs will be limited. My winch button is on my left handlebar and I dont have any issues plowing.

I have a 2004 Polaris 500 carb with pullstart. I have very rarely needed to use it but if I leave it sitting in the cold all day on the ice I typically start it up occasionally just to keep it warm.

BoxMN - It sounds like you have my ideal ATV. Sold!   :D

When not in use I'm going to park this in my storage shed on whatever trickle charger is recommended. I hear you on the dual start. I've just gotten to the point in life that my old shoulders and back don't do well pull starting motors.

On 1/27/2017 at 1:27 PM, rundrave said:

I have a polaris and using the reverse overide isnt a big deal once you get used to it. You can simply unplug one wire to disable it otherwise you can still drive in reverse you just wont have AWD drive and your RPMs will be limited. My winch button is on my left handlebar and I dont have any issues plowing.

I have a 2004 Polaris 500 carb with pullstart. I have very rarely needed to use it but if I leave it sitting in the cold all day on the ice I typically start it up occasionally just to keep it warm.

I agree the Polaris is not hard, I am taling about the button for the Honda. You NEED to push in button, then pull brake lever back all the way, in that exact sequence. That is just to GET INTO reverse. It sucks. Makes a lot of hand motions just to go backward :)

I wish it was like the Polaris, where all you have to do is push the button, that would work nice.

11 minutes ago, BoxMN said:

I wish it was like the Polaris, where all you have to do is push the button, that would work nice.

Ahh sorry I misread or earlier post. Yes turning on AWD on the fly is the cats meow when it comes to Polaris. Or you can just leave it on and Awd only kicks in when rear wheels slip. And its actually true 4wd and not a 3 wheel wonder like some other brands. 

I just sold two of my old Yamaha ATV's and bought a new to me 2008 Polaris. I've been looking for two years for the right machine and I noticed the used machines are more expensive this year. Last year I have a verbal agreement to buy a 2008 Polaris low miles/hours for $3600. I had to pick up my trailer to haul it and on my way to get it the guy calls me and said he sold it. That's Clist for ya.

I'm happy with my purchase but spent more than the $3600 I had planned.

Good Luck with your search,

Mike

If your planning on alot of winter use, the EFI and EPS are very nice.  I have a 2012 Foreman and my dad has a 2006 Foreman.  It is night and day on how much easier mine starts when it is cold out.  The EPS really helps if your in some deeper heavy snow/slush.  

The Hondas' seem bulletproof.  Between ice fishing, hunting, and work around the house and cabin, we have put ours in almost every situation imaginable and they have no issues.  

Only thing I don't like is how they get into reverse.....I need to look into the bypass for that red button.