Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Rick Tischaefer

Senate Bill 2308 - ndgfd Permanent Registration Number

2 posts in this topic

Folks,                                                                                                           January 26, 2017

I've got some great news – Senate Bill 2308 - “legis.nd.gov/assembly/65-2017/documents/17-0983-01000.pdf” would allow the use of a NDGFD issued registration number to identify an unoccupied fishhouse or a coyote snare; OR a name, address, and/or telephone number (as currently required). When the Century Code is amended, you will have the freedom to choose what is best for you.

This wouldn't be possible without Senators Shawn Vedaa (D6 Velva), Howard Anderson (D8 Turtle Lake); David Clemens (D16 West Fargo), and Jordan Kannianen (D4 Stanley); and Representatives Dick Anderson (D6 Willow City) and Craig Johnson (D6 Maxbass) introducing this legislation. Thanks to each of those legislators and to everyone who has contacted their respective legislator so far for their support. It's good to send a reminder as there is now a bill number for identification.

So what's next? Senate Bill 2308 will be referred to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee for a hearing in the next couple of weeks. After the hearing, it will be voted on by the full Senate. In late February, all Senate bills will pass over to the House. The bill will then be referred to the House Energy and Natural Resources Committee for a hearing and then to the full House for a vote.

Please continue to let folks know about this legislation – friends; relatives; co-workers; fish and wildlife clubs; businesses that have anything to do with fishing (sell bait, fishhouses; and fishing equipment); guides and lodges; fellow trappers; or any other person or entity that may benefit by this legislation. It is important that the momentum continues to build. Spread the word, make your contacts, and thank you for your help!

Contact your respective Senator and Representative and ask that they vote in favor of Senate Bill 2308. Use this link to identify your legislators and their contact information - “legis.nd.gov/assembly/65-2017”. A quick and easy statement asking for their support is all that's required.

Background information supporting Senate Bill 2308 - utilize a registration number issued by the Department to identify unoccupied fishhouses and snares in lieu of North Dakota Century Code requirements for name, address, and/or telephone number.

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department licensing provides an opportunity for individuals to view their licensing, lottery, and registrations on their page. Go to the North Dakota Game and Fish Department page homepage at “www.gf.nd.gov”; click on “My Account” in the upper right hand corner; complete and verify the “Customer Identification”. Welcome to your “My Account” page.

Registration requirements currently exist for darkhouse spearfishing. This registration is required annually and the registration number changes from year to year. You can register for darkhouse spearfishing from your “My Account” page (see center of page).

North Dakota Century Code (NDCC 20.1-06-07.) requires unoccupied fishhouses be identified by the owners name and address or telephone number.

North Dakota Century Code (NDCC 20.1-07-03.1.) requires a person using a snare to identify it with the person's name, address, and telephone number.

There has been interest within the outdoor community to have a means of identification for both fishhouses and snares that does not broadly proclaim the name, address and/or telephone number of the fishhouse owner or person utilizing the snare. Other benefits include ease by which the number would be displayed on the fishhouse, or engraved on a plastic or metal tag for snares (one line with six numbers versus three lines of characters, numbers, and spaces); reduce repetitiveness in the event of address or telephone number change; anonymity from harassment, damage, destruction or theft; and each person having their own personalized permanent number. North Dakota Game and Fish Department personnel (law enforcement) could easily cross reference the number to a name within their automated record keeping system.

Previously, the North Dakota Game and Fish Department did not have the means to assign a personalized permanent number to any one individual. The ability to do that now exists, and when this legislation is passed and the NDCC amended, the Department will make registration available. It is a one-time registration and will result in the assignment of a personalized permanent number to an individual. By authority of the Century Code, this number may be used for identification purposes. The implementation of this bill requires no funding whatsoever. With everyone's help, we can get this done this session. Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

Rick Tischaefer

President, North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association

tischrc@ndak.net

Rick likes this

Isn't it amazing how much work goes into a what seems like such a "simple change" 

Thanks for the heads up