Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

slammer

Is this legal

20 posts in this topic

Would this setup be legal on the state snowmobile trails?

Sportsmen-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure but I did get a chuckle out of a legal question asked by someone named Slammer:grin:

 

If I remember correctly they need to be registered as snowmobiles and not ATV's to be legal although personally I cannot see why it wouldn't be.

leech~~ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it boils down to a license thing........?  My wife is not a lawyer but she stayed at a Holiday Inn last week so I refer all legal stuff to her.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, slammer said:

So it boils down to a license thing........?  My wife is not a lawyer but she stayed at a Holiday Inn last week so I refer all legal stuff to her.:P

Better being the slammer than being in the slammer I guess :grin:

 

 

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/ohv.html

 

Quote

As you explore winter ATV riding, please remember that groomed, signed snowmobile trails are closed to OHVs and highway-licensed vehicles (HLVs) beginning December 1. Please respect private property and follow all signs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Not sure but I did get a chuckle out of a legal question asked by someone named Slammer:grin:

 

If I remember correctly they need to be registered as snowmobiles and not ATV's to be legal although personally I cannot see why it wouldn't be.

 

The dual tracks and width difference....they'd find a reason. 

chasineyes and leech~~ like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv_regs.pdf

 

Quote

You may NOT ride • On the median of a four-lane highway. • Within the right-of-way of any interstate highway or freeway. • On the right-of-way between opposing lanes of traffic. • On grant-in-aid snowmobile trails. • On designated non-motorized trails. • At airports. • Below the ordinary high-water level of unfrozen public waters that are lakes, streams, rivers, and certain wetlands, or in calcareous fens. • On any frozen public waters where you don’t have legal access or where it is prohibited. • In any area restricted by local ordinances. • In a tree nursery or planting area. • on state forest lands that are posted or designated closed to motorized uses (see pages 22–26).

 

14 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

 

The dual tracks and width difference....they'd find a reason. 

Touche'

 

 

Edited by PurpleFloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take her for a run down a trail and let us know? :lol:

I think most of it is a width issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Wow!!! I remember those!!! 

I want one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea i kinda thought it would be a no go on trails.  It looks like a good alternative to a snowmobile.   They claim better performance with only two tracks and the skis help keep you up on top of snow.  Price is a bit less than buying 4 tracks.  Interesting.

7 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Take her for a run down a trail and let us know? :lol:

I think most of it is a width issue?

I don't have them.  Thinking about it though.  Don't have a sled so this would give me best of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one .  Some guy in the neighborhood had one of these many years ago.  I think it was broke down more than it was driven.

i230570231802.jpg

PurpleFloyd likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They always reminded me of something they would have in a James Bond movie. 

 

I would think that with the emergence of the UTV market and all the Ice Castles that something like that modernized would really take the market by storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://twintrackworld.com/?page_id=18    ;)

 

 

11 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

They always reminded me of something they would have in a James Bond movie. 

 

I would think that with the emergence of the UTV market and all the Ice Castles that something like that modernized would really take the market by storm.

  

 

Why not? Drop in a 650 CC engine....let's get to work! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

The dual tracks and width difference....they'd find a reason. 

 

 

How about this one?

 

 

Hoey likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that! First saw that about 10 years ago.....why the heck didn't it catch on? That vid is a classic!! Thanks for posting!

 

Guess I'm kinda helping to  hijack the thread...I can't help myself!    OK; I'll stop!!   :P

leech~~ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slammer said:

Yea i kinda thought it would be a no go on trails.  It looks like a good alternative to a snowmobile.   They claim better performance with only two tracks and the skis help keep you up on top of snow.  Price is a bit less than buying 4 tracks.  Interesting.

I don't have them.  Thinking about it though.  Don't have a sled so this would give me best of both.

 

That would be a great rig for ice fishing I would think. :)

1 hour ago, slammer said:

Another one .  Some guy in the neighborhood had one of these many years ago.  I think it was broke down more than it was driven.

i230570231802.jpg

 

The old twin track sleds were kind of cool but really hard to lean them when side hilling! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, swamptiger said:

 

 

How about this one?

 

 

 

I actually saw one of those at a museum up in Fairbanks.. pretty crazy looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that the reason the design was abandoned is the machines did well in the water and in soft ground or snow, but they didn't work out on dry land.

 

But to get the thread back on topic, I know Ski-Doo made at least two different models of twin tracked machines also - the Alpine and the Everest.

 

503 Everest:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by swamptiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ski Doo made a Twin track elite in the early 2000s Not a bad looking rig. In maine you can register your atv/ utv as a sled if you have tracks. I have done this for several years. Don't ride much on busy trails though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now