• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam auger conversion kit

556LaGue

Question

Sick of lugging the heavy jiffy pro 4 around lately. Been a great auger and will keep it for LOW trips! Looking to purchase a clam conversion kit. Have a 20v drill, I want a 8" hole though. Question is: can I purchase any hand auger and hook the flighting to the kit or does a guy have to purchase the Clam 8" flighting for it? 

15 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Jim Uran said:

Not everyone is money bags lol. 

All I'm saying is I know a few guys that are switching from the drill plate to the Kdrill or the Nils. 

Exactly! I'll stick with my 2 cycle stikemater chipper. She never lets ya down! I do think in the near future there will be no gas augers all electric. And with climate change there's less ice to drill anyway!

I've used a few drill plate augers and loved them. Saw a few k drills in action and liked what I saw also. I like the Clam auger kits because they have 2 handles, more control over the auger. Setting it down where you stand was a issue w the k drill, as you have to keep your drill out of the snow and slush. Clam augers have 2 handles where you can lay them down on either handle w out them in the snow or water. Haven't got one stuck in the ice.....yet

Just now, 556LaGue said:

I've used a few drill plate augers and loved them. Saw a few k drills in action and liked what I saw also. I like the Clam auger kits because they have 2 handles, more control over the auger. Setting it down where you stand was a issue w the k drill, as you have to keep your drill out of the snow and slush. Clam augers have 2 handles where you can lay them down on either handle w out them in the snow or water. Haven't got one stuck in the ice.....yet

Was also informed that most hand augers will fit the Clam kit

Jim, the Nils won't stick at the bottom of the hole. It should break through cleanly.

I wish you could watch me for one day on the ice when I'm testing blades. 

It  looks like a ballet, (Swan River).   I lift the Nils off its rack as light as a feather.  She pirouettes her way without effort though The ice.  She fails though the ice like a snowflake fallen from the clouds. 

I gently catch her like a feather from a dove.   You could watch listening to ACDC too.

OR YOU COULD BE IN THE NUTCRACKER SUITE WITH A STRIKE MASTER BUSTIN YOUR BALLS.

On 1/25/2017 at 1:56 PM, Jim Uran said:

The only thing that concerns me with the drill plate is sticking at the bottom of the hole, I've seen multiple complaints on that. 

that is the issue I had. hated the way it stopped. RickG put the  milwakee on it and same thing. SO I bought a nills 6 inch and will test in the morning. Really like ricks kdrill but he is a gazillionaire. ;)  love the way you dont even feel the end of the ice. hoping the nills is as nice. auger drill and batteries will have 330 into it.