Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
wasssit

Barometric Pressure

Is it true, the lower the pressure, the bite gets hot? Or the higher the barometric pressure the fish slow down on biting? :confused:

Low pressure signals a front moving in, (Bad weather, wind may be  from the east or north) which usually puts them "on the feed", can have some hot and fast action. Likewise, a swing in the other direction, a high pressure system , (wind from the west or south) which signals clear skies and sunny weather, may do the same. The key to me, anyway, seems to be hitting it just as either front moves in. An extended low or long high may result in poor fishing. Remember the old adage, which also has to so with the pressure:

"Wind from the east; fish bite the least...wind from the north , the fisherman goes not forth, wind from the south, blows the bait in the fish's mouth; wind from the west, is when the fishing is best". :)

Hey Rebel, what do you consider low and high pressure?  Perhaps a stupid question, but I just got a weather station so now I can start tracking barometric pressure. Right now the numbers don't mean much to me, been around 28-29% in the south metro the past few day and I don't know if that's low, high or middle.

Edited by Getanet

1 hour ago, Getanet said:

Hey Rebel, what do you consider low and high pressure?  Perhaps a stupid question, but I just got a weather station so now I can start tracking barometric pressure. Right now the numbers don't mean much to me, been around 28-29% in the south metro the past few day and I don't know if that's low, high or middle.

I watch when it drops below 29.5 Hg on down (29.0 Hg or mb; millibars) or when it swings up past 30.0 mb. That's my reference for "highs" or "lows" on my Barometer. Remember to adjust yours to your local Wx reading, they have a slot shaft in the back of the meter for that. I  love my old dial Aneroid barometer.  They last forever, too.  Mines kicking about 35 years...:grin:

(That's not mine, pic is for low and high reference...)

aneroidb.jpg

East wind is the worst...!! Bad juju. Always means a storm. Gonna have an East one tomorrow......and my barometer is already headin' down, in time for the 6-8" of big snow tomorrow. Watch it plummet before a big summer storm, or rise into the 30's on those warming, clear days. I've always watched the winds and barometer since I was a kid (got into the weather thing in "science class") , you can do better yourself than the forecasters do. It's easy and fun, IMO.

Some fun facts:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2010/10/27/lowest-barometer-reading-ever-in-minnesota/

I look at barometric pressure like I do every other factor with hunting and fishing.  It is a convenient excuse for someone who can't catch fish when the barometer is either high or low, moving up, moving down.  Same as the deer hunter who can't shoot a deer because it's too warm, too cold, the rut hasn't started yet, the wind was blowing the wrong way, the squirrel scared the deer away, the neighbors were shooting too much, too much corn, etc. 

I need a good baramator:(:( mine stinks got one with baramator, thermometer and humidity gauge. Any ideas what to get?

Up nort lakes I fish the north wind is worse. East isn't much more gooder!

I can recommend some Fischer stuff; not too spendy. Otherwise, with yer money, around $175-$225 for a really good  barometer, hygrometer, and temp gauge. I might let ya look at mine Saturday if yer really nice.  :grin:

http://www.ambientweather.com/am910322.html

http://www.ambientweather.com/fi153822b.html

I think it definitely plays a role. But just because its high pressure doesn't mean I am staying home and sitting on the couch. It just means I may have to switch things up, down size, or fish a little harder to catch some fish.

To me it seems that consistent weather results in better fishing.  Right before a front moves in you may get a flurry.  But even an east with for 3 days in a row will lead to better fishing by day 3.

I kept track of that data for years when I fished. The outcome? Other than during a cold front moving in, (skunked every time)  I didn't really notice a lot of difference. Only thing I did notice was my fishing was consistently better on cloudy days with a bit of a breeze. (River fishing)

35 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I kept track of that data for years when I fished. The outcome? Other than during a cold front moving in, (skunked every time)  I didn't really notice a lot of difference. Only thing I did notice was my fishing was consistently better on cloudy days with a bit of a breeze. (River fishing)

and here i heard you couldnt catch a cold!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin: guess i never really paid much attention to it. if i went fishing and caught something great.......if i didnt.........well it was better then mowing the lawn!!!!!!

20 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I can recommend some Fischer stuff; not too spendy. Otherwise, with yer money, around $175-$225 for a really good  barometer, hygrometer, and temp gauge. I might let ya look at mine Saturday if yer really nice.  :grin:

http://www.ambientweather.com/am910322.html

http://www.ambientweather.com/fi153822b.html

hey rebaroni.............any idea where i could look at getting these. i dont to wally world and i dont order nuttin online. me gotz to look at.....touch what i purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, me too.....they're extremely rare animals nowadays.. I searched (online) every hardware store, box store, Home Improvement, office supply store....zip. Only place that has them...Walmart.

I suggest ya hit the used a bit and goodwill stores, they always seem to have a few. I'll keep my peepers open for ya for a good one if ya want, otherwise, get someone to order for ya off of Amazon Prime.

Word of caution !!

Lake Superior will generate a east wind for days and the fish bite great. I think it has something to do with the air sinking out in the center and it pushes in all directions and in Duluth we get the wind out of the east.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:10 PM, smurfy said:

hey rebaroni.............any idea where i could look at getting these. i dont to wally world and i dont order nuttin online. me gotz to look at.....touch what i purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

HE SCORES!!!  Five minutes in the used-a-bit shop this morning, and there it was! A Springfield old school aneroid, in like new condition, with the gold bezels and tracking pointer!  Barometer was just a bit off, and after cleaning the dust off, and re-calibrating the humidity meter and barometer, it's tracking perfectly!!  Notice the "made in USA"...no ching-chong stuff here!! :grin:

I did some on-line research on these, and it appears the early 70's USA ones like this are becoming quite collectible. With all the interest in weather, I'd say if ya see one for a good price, grab it.

DSC03057 (2).JPG

DSC03052 (2).JPG

DSC03058.JPG