• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barometric Pressure

wasssit

Low pressure signals a front moving in, (Bad weather, wind may be  from the east or north) which usually puts them "on the feed", can have some hot and fast action. Likewise, a swing in the other direction, a high pressure system , (wind from the west or south) which signals clear skies and sunny weather, may do the same. The key to me, anyway, seems to be hitting it just as either front moves in. An extended low or long high may result in poor fishing. Remember the old adage, which also has to so with the pressure:

"Wind from the east; fish bite the least...wind from the north , the fisherman goes not forth, wind from the south, blows the bait in the fish's mouth; wind from the west, is when the fishing is best". :)

Hey Rebel, what do you consider low and high pressure?  Perhaps a stupid question, but I just got a weather station so now I can start tracking barometric pressure. Right now the numbers don't mean much to me, been around 28-29% in the south metro the past few day and I don't know if that's low, high or middle.

Edited by Getanet

1 hour ago, Getanet said:

Hey Rebel, what do you consider low and high pressure?  Perhaps a stupid question, but I just got a weather station so now I can start tracking barometric pressure. Right now the numbers don't mean much to me, been around 28-29% in the south metro the past few day and I don't know if that's low, high or middle.

I watch when it drops below 29.5 Hg on down (29.0 Hg or mb; millibars) or when it swings up past 30.0 mb. That's my reference for "highs" or "lows" on my Barometer. Remember to adjust yours to your local Wx reading, they have a slot shaft in the back of the meter for that. I  love my old dial Aneroid barometer.  They last forever, too.  Mines kicking about 35 years...:grin:

(That's not mine, pic is for low and high reference...)

aneroidb.jpg

East wind is the worst...!! Bad juju. Always means a storm. Gonna have an East one tomorrow......and my barometer is already headin' down, in time for the 6-8" of big snow tomorrow. Watch it plummet before a big summer storm, or rise into the 30's on those warming, clear days. I've always watched the winds and barometer since I was a kid (got into the weather thing in "science class") , you can do better yourself than the forecasters do. It's easy and fun, IMO.

Some fun facts:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2010/10/27/lowest-barometer-reading-ever-in-minnesota/

I look at barometric pressure like I do every other factor with hunting and fishing.  It is a convenient excuse for someone who can't catch fish when the barometer is either high or low, moving up, moving down.  Same as the deer hunter who can't shoot a deer because it's too warm, too cold, the rut hasn't started yet, the wind was blowing the wrong way, the squirrel scared the deer away, the neighbors were shooting too much, too much corn, etc. 

I can recommend some Fischer stuff; not too spendy. Otherwise, with yer money, around $175-$225 for a really good  barometer, hygrometer, and temp gauge. I might let ya look at mine Saturday if yer really nice.  :grin:

http://www.ambientweather.com/am910322.html

http://www.ambientweather.com/fi153822b.html

I think it definitely plays a role. But just because its high pressure doesn't mean I am staying home and sitting on the couch. It just means I may have to switch things up, down size, or fish a little harder to catch some fish.

To me it seems that consistent weather results in better fishing.  Right before a front moves in you may get a flurry.  But even an east with for 3 days in a row will lead to better fishing by day 3.

I kept track of that data for years when I fished. The outcome? Other than during a cold front moving in, (skunked every time)  I didn't really notice a lot of difference. Only thing I did notice was my fishing was consistently better on cloudy days with a bit of a breeze. (River fishing)

35 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I kept track of that data for years when I fished. The outcome? Other than during a cold front moving in, (skunked every time)  I didn't really notice a lot of difference. Only thing I did notice was my fishing was consistently better on cloudy days with a bit of a breeze. (River fishing)

and here i heard you couldnt catch a cold!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin: guess i never really paid much attention to it. if i went fishing and caught something great.......if i didnt.........well it was better then mowing the lawn!!!!!!

20 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I can recommend some Fischer stuff; not too spendy. Otherwise, with yer money, around $175-$225 for a really good  barometer, hygrometer, and temp gauge. I might let ya look at mine Saturday if yer really nice.  :grin:

http://www.ambientweather.com/am910322.html

http://www.ambientweather.com/fi153822b.html

hey rebaroni.............any idea where i could look at getting these. i dont to wally world and i dont order nuttin online. me gotz to look at.....touch what i purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, me too.....they're extremely rare animals nowadays.. I searched (online) every hardware store, box store, Home Improvement, office supply store....zip. Only place that has them...Walmart.

I suggest ya hit the used a bit and goodwill stores, they always seem to have a few. I'll keep my peepers open for ya for a good one if ya want, otherwise, get someone to order for ya off of Amazon Prime.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:10 PM, smurfy said:

hey rebaroni.............any idea where i could look at getting these. i dont to wally world and i dont order nuttin online. me gotz to look at.....touch what i purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

HE SCORES!!!  Five minutes in the used-a-bit shop this morning, and there it was! A Springfield old school aneroid, in like new condition, with the gold bezels and tracking pointer!  Barometer was just a bit off, and after cleaning the dust off, and re-calibrating the humidity meter and barometer, it's tracking perfectly!!  Notice the "made in USA"...no ching-chong stuff here!! :grin:

I did some on-line research on these, and it appears the early 70's USA ones like this are becoming quite collectible. With all the interest in weather, I'd say if ya see one for a good price, grab it.

DSC03057 (2).JPG

DSC03052 (2).JPG

DSC03058.JPG