• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wendlin Pimple Spear

Dooley87

I wanted to share my recent find, I was searching the items on a local online auction and saw what I thought was a Pimple (or Pimpl) spear (it was only labeled as a stainless spear). I stopped by the auction house to take better pictures and compare it to others and I was convinced it was a Pimple, I even had a spear collector I know agree that it was a Pimple. I started bidding on it at the very end of the auction and unfortunately someone else also knew what it was since I found myself in an intense bidding war with one other bidder. We battled back and forth for what seemed like forever, it almost got a little personal and just when i told myself I'd only place one more bid the other person stopped bidding. I was the winner of the spear at $340 (I've heard of other selling for $600 on auction)

When I went to pick up the spear I was given a dumbfounded look and asked "why did you spend so much on this spear???" I explained the history of the spear and the spear maker who was born in the 1860's or 70's depending on where you read the history and immigrated here from Austria.  While I was explaining this a group of people gathered around to listen to the story and they had no clue what they had and were amazed the small spear was that old and that desirable. 

It will be a family heirloom that will be passed down in my family for generations to come. Just to even hold this piece of history is awesome. 

IMG_6210.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

That is a very nice Pimple spear!

They are hard to find. I bought a couple of them from Jerry Kelm. He said Pimple used spring steel from hay rake tines to make the spear tines. 

I have not seen one in person with chromed or nickel finish like that, but there is a picture of one that looks exactly like yours on page 215 of  the book "Ice Fishing Spears" by Marcel Salive. I actually wonder if it is the same spear. I heard Mr. Salive was selling off some spears about 5 years ago. 

Are you going to be our tomorrow? If so PM me and I will bring the book out to give you a look. TS and I are going to out in the morning. 

Edited by Early Riser