• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Latest reports

Whether anyone follows this forum or not I decided to do another post. I just spent the most awesome weekend with 38 women on Red Lake. One gal caught her first walleye ever, another caught a 22" walleye first time ice fishing, another caught her first northern through the ice 31 1/2" on light tackle. My Yetti personally had over 25 walleyes in three days and then the bite shut down. I always learn so much when fishing with this group, we have over 150 members and there is always sharing of knowledge, help, and fun. We even had an awesome fish fry on the ice Sunday.

sounds like you had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!! keep up the reports.......i read them!!!!!!!!!!! even the bowstring report!! sounds like you left there to early!!!!!!

by the way looking forward to helping out again next summer with the lets go fishing contest!!!!!!!!!!

Heading back to Red Lake tomorrow, then Chequamegon bay next week. Turtle Flambeau Flowage in February, also doing the Battle on Bago last weekend in Feb. Then Ice Team University on Devils Lake in March, mostly local stuff in between. At 70 years old I don't think I am doing so bad, still drill all my own holes (just not as many) still crank my Yetti up and down by myself. And still try to captain as many trips as I can in the summer for Let's Go Fishing With Seniors.

20 minutes ago, Iambjm said:

Heading back to Red Lake tomorrow, then Chequamegon bay next week. Turtle Flambeau Flowage in February, also doing the Battle on Bago last weekend in Feb. Then Ice Team University on Devils Lake in March, mostly local stuff in between. At 70 years old I don't think I am doing so bad, still drill all my own holes (just not as many) still crank my Yetti up and down by myself. And still try to captain as many trips as I can in the summer for Let's Go Fishing With Seniors.

Hey keep going until you can't drill a hole anymore. Hard to ice fish without the hole! :lol:

lambjm - keep at it. If you do, you stand a great chance of fishing for possibly decades to come. 

Inspirational to me, and hopefully others, is our 85 year old neighbor in Hovland who finished up logging our land this past spring. He logs in a one man operation every day, except Sundays, and a nice day every now and again to fish with his wife. 

He has been logging continually for 66 years.

Like clockwork he gets to the landing everyday by 8:30, takes a 15 min break at 10:30, a half hour lunch break at 12, and a 15 min break at 3 before quitting at 4:30. A few days last winter I was out on the land making firewood and clearing trails, and could barely keep up with his schedule. He plans to keep at it as long as he is able. 

My wife and I saw him last winter, as we rounded the corner of our road, standing atop a 10' pile of aspen logs with a cant hook or axe in one hand, waving with the other. He appeared as a man less than half his age in terms of agility and stature.

Genetics are a key, but staying interested and active in an outdoor activity is very important to a long and healthy life. 

Dismal time at Red Lake last weekend, not one walleye. I was very limited to moving around, I lost track of my extension for my ION (had it the week before) and I have been having some serious problems with my hands. It was all I could do to drill 2 holes. I have to skip Chequamegan bay this weekend but do plan to head back up to Red Lake tomorrow. New blades for the ION, and will have to buy  another extension for the auger. Coming off the lake last Saturday  was kinda scary, water everywhere and I could see all kinds of cracks in the ice.

Spent 2 days on Red Lake, there wasn't much snow on the ice and I was trying to find a spot for the wheelhouse and I got the crap scared outta me. I drove over some hard packed snow, busted through and got stuck, when I got out to shovel I realized that my right front wheel had broken through the snow into about 6 inches of slush from the week before. I thought "Crap what now?". Some great young guys from 2 different wheelhouses came over to help me. I think they were shocked when they saw it was an old lady all by herself. They managed to pull me out with a monster diesel truck, I do have a 4x4 and I am learning real quick that they can get stuck too. I caught 6 walleyes Saturday night, missed 3 and only two on Sunday night, missed two bites Monday morning. Decided to head back home Monday morning and I am glad I did, the snow made visibility very poor. The nice thing about being retired is I can go back any day I want and stay as long as I want. Might go back on Thursday

Not sure if I will head back to Red Lake this weekend. Got a few lectures about going ice fishing alone at my age, people don't understand that I love fishing. I would rather go fishing than go shopping. Maybe it is a little dangerous for someone my age, but I do love an adventure. I will go back next week as I have to bring the Yetti home for the year. Then off to more ice fishing adventures with my friends from WiWomenFish. And only 6 more weeks till Devils Lake. Life is good.

Not sure if I will head back to Red Lake this weekend. Got a few lectures about going ice fishing alone at my age, people don't understand that I love fishing. I would rather go fishing than go shopping. Maybe it is a little dangerous for someone my age, but I do love an adventure. I will go back next week as I have to bring the Yetti home for the year. Then off to more ice fishing adventures with my friends from WiWomenFish. And only 6 more weeks till Devils Lake. Life is good.