• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird Ice 55 problem

Iambjm

I have an Ice 55 that is 5 years old, trip to Bowstring put the transducer down, it read the depth but my jig would not show up no matter what I tried. I called the company and they want $175 to look at it, that would include fixing whatever the problem is and the shipping back. If it is just a problem with the transducer I can get a new one for $70. Can't decide what to do, has anyone else had this problem? And I can't afford a vex or a marcum right now so that is not an option.

40 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

That particular jig or all jigs?

$175 is ridiculous

Good point. Next time out, clip on your biggest spoon to see if that reads? If so keep going smaller while making adjustments until you can't read it anymore. Also try different depths.  If your reading bottom you should be about to see something still if adjusted right. Good luck.

Edited by leech~~

Had the same thing happen 2 or 3 times to our vexilar units over the years.  It's always been the transducer cord wire getting a crack in it.  We have multiple units so it's been easy to diagnose just by swapping transducers.  I would just buy a new transducer regardless it's never hurts to have a spare if that doesn't fix the problem.

1 hour ago, Jim Uran said:

Triple check your battery, put the transducer up to your ear and see if you can hear it clicking. 

+1 That's where I would start.

1 hour ago, Mad Mulcher said:

Had the same thing happen 2 or 3 times to our vexilar units over the years.  It's always been the transducer cord wire getting a crack in it.  We have multiple units so it's been easy to diagnose just by swapping transducers.  I would just buy a new transducer regardless it's never hurts to have a spare if that doesn't fix the problem.

I've herd of that happening. I supposed I should start watching mine I've got a crack starting in mine. Good thing I'm looking at upgrading ducers in the near future.

1 hour ago, Jim Uran said:

Triple check your battery, put the transducer up to your ear and see if you can hear it clicking.

I was going to suggest that to Jim, but she said she is reading bottom. So she must be getting some ducer activity?  That's why I was saying to try larger lures to see if she reads any at all?

I have this problem from time to time but not often.  Sometimes there are little bubbles on the bottom of the transducer and sometimes the ducer isn't below the ice, sometimes it just takes 5 or 10 minutes of sitting in the hole before it starts to pick up the jig.  Other times it works flawlessly.

Was back up to Red Lake last weekend, tried the locator again. Still no go, different battery. The first time I used it and realised it didn't work I even put a depth bomb on my rattle wheel line, it didn't show up. It does show the bottom, but only a thin green line. The digital readout was all over the place, from 15 feet to 7, then to one, etc.

I think I might have it figured out, I will know for sure tomorrow when I hit the lake again. I turned the unit on to listen for clicking, could faintly hear it. The Humminbird comes with  clips so you can charge it while using it (see picture) I noticed they seemed loose when I connected them to the battery so I took them off and got a much better connection. I stuck the transducer in my bait bucket and it seems to be working now. But will still have to test it in the lake. I did also order an extra transducer to be on the safe side.

tmp_27011-20170126_142038-1863237251.jpg

Spent the weekend on Red Lake again, 12 feet of water and the locator still isn't working quite right. Haven't got my new transducer yet, the old one is reading the bottom and intermittently showing my lure/bait. I have to turn the gain all the way up, becoming a bit discouraged as I have had the unit since 2011 and haven't had problems with it in the past. Might be saving my pennies for a Vexilar for next year. I had the FL18 but sold it because anytime I was around a Marcum I was blown out of the water with interference. Gonna limp my way through the rest of the winter with the bird if a new transducer doesn't solve the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have tried every one with not much luck.

Did anyone figure this out? I borrowed a buddies Hummingbird ICE 55... First weekend it worked great... Battery died used a spare.

Second weekend after trying to charge the battery ( never fully charged) purchased a new battery... Nothing (flasher is not working), jumping depths all over the place?

It was safely transported - didn't drop it or bang it around.

13 hours ago, DirtySwerdy said:

Did anyone figure this out? I borrowed a buddies Hummingbird ICE 55... First weekend it worked great... Battery died used a spare.

Second weekend after trying to charge the battery ( never fully charged) purchased a new battery... Nothing (flasher is not working), jumping depths all over the place?

It was safely transported - didn't drop it or bang it around.

Your sounds like a power connection. When you changed out the batteries something loosened up. I would just double check your connections.

This may sound kind of dumb but I had the same problem a couple times when I first put transducer down. Took the face of it and rubbed it across my pants leg a few times, put it back in the hole and it worked fine. Pure guess but wondering if something like a hard water stain can form on the bottom and hold bubbles or something like that. Worked every time I tried it.

6 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

Your sounds like a power connection.

That was my first hunch.  I would also check the ducer connection to make sure it is clean, dry, and tight.  I run Vexilars and have had similar issues.  Took the unit to the shop where they worked the cord coming out of the ducer, pulling outward and from side-to-side.  They indicated that the sealant used often gets distorted and needs to be aligned - something about the positioning of the diodes.  This may not be technically correct, but it works.