Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Iambjm

Humminbird Ice 55 problem

18 posts in this topic

I have an Ice 55 that is 5 years old, trip to Bowstring put the transducer down, it read the depth but my jig would not show up no matter what I tried. I called the company and they want $175 to look at it, that would include fixing whatever the problem is and the shipping back. If it is just a problem with the transducer I can get a new one for $70. Can't decide what to do, has anyone else had this problem? And I can't afford a vex or a marcum right now so that is not an option.

Have you tried replacing the battery? Might be strong enough to turn unit on but not enough power to run right. Do you know anyone with an ice 55 that you could try a few parts off of?

BartmanMN likes this

Brand new battery, fully charged. I don't know anyone one close to me to borrow a transducer from to see if that's the problem.

40 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

That particular jig or all jigs?

$175 is ridiculous

Good point. Next time out, clip on your biggest spoon to see if that reads? If so keep going smaller while making adjustments until you can't read it anymore. Also try different depths.  If your reading bottom you should be about to see something still if adjusted right. Good luck.

Edited by leech~~

Triple check your battery, put the transducer up to your ear and see if you can hear it clicking. 

Had the same thing happen 2 or 3 times to our vexilar units over the years.  It's always been the transducer cord wire getting a crack in it.  We have multiple units so it's been easy to diagnose just by swapping transducers.  I would just buy a new transducer regardless it's never hurts to have a spare if that doesn't fix the problem.

1 hour ago, Jim Uran said:

Triple check your battery, put the transducer up to your ear and see if you can hear it clicking. 

+1 That's where I would start.

1 hour ago, Mad Mulcher said:

Had the same thing happen 2 or 3 times to our vexilar units over the years.  It's always been the transducer cord wire getting a crack in it.  We have multiple units so it's been easy to diagnose just by swapping transducers.  I would just buy a new transducer regardless it's never hurts to have a spare if that doesn't fix the problem.

I've herd of that happening. I supposed I should start watching mine I've got a crack starting in mine. Good thing I'm looking at upgrading ducers in the near future.

1 hour ago, Jim Uran said:

I was going to suggest that to Jim, but she said she is reading bottom. So she must be getting some ducer activity?  That's why I was saying to try larger lures to see if she reads any at all?

Jim Uran likes this

I had similar issue two years ago.  New transducer fixed it.

Jim Uran likes this

I still think it could be a faulty battery whether it's new or not. The second choice would be to hear if the transducer is clicking

Iambjm and leech~~ like this

I have this problem from time to time but not often.  Sometimes there are little bubbles on the bottom of the transducer and sometimes the ducer isn't below the ice, sometimes it just takes 5 or 10 minutes of sitting in the hole before it starts to pick up the jig.  Other times it works flawlessly.

Was back up to Red Lake last weekend, tried the locator again. Still no go, different battery. The first time I used it and realised it didn't work I even put a depth bomb on my rattle wheel line, it didn't show up. It does show the bottom, but only a thin green line. The digital readout was all over the place, from 15 feet to 7, then to one, etc.

I think I might have it figured out, I will know for sure tomorrow when I hit the lake again. I turned the unit on to listen for clicking, could faintly hear it. The Humminbird comes with  clips so you can charge it while using it (see picture) I noticed they seemed loose when I connected them to the battery so I took them off and got a much better connection. I stuck the transducer in my bait bucket and it seems to be working now. But will still have to test it in the lake. I did also order an extra transducer to be on the safe side.

tmp_27011-20170126_142038-1863237251.jpg

Jim Uran likes this

Make sure your ducer is deep in the hole.  Second make sure it is not resting on the side of the hole.  The ice will block the sonar from properly reading your bait.

Spent the weekend on Red Lake again, 12 feet of water and the locator still isn't working quite right. Haven't got my new transducer yet, the old one is reading the bottom and intermittently showing my lure/bait. I have to turn the gain all the way up, becoming a bit discouraged as I have had the unit since 2011 and haven't had problems with it in the past. Might be saving my pennies for a Vexilar for next year. I had the FL18 but sold it because anytime I was around a Marcum I was blown out of the water with interference. Gonna limp my way through the rest of the winter with the bird if a new transducer doesn't solve the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have tried every one with not much luck.

Jim Uran likes this

Oh man I sure hope that new ducer fixes it for you! Those big 'Bird unit displays are hard to beat. 

Were you ever able to find the problem? Mine has been having the same issue and can't decide if I want to send it in or buy something else.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tomorrow we will be back at it
    • I am giving it a last hurrah tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been able to check in here much. I have hardly been able to get out this year between work, a baby at home, and a recent trip out of the country for a relative's wedding.    Last time I was out I had a real nice Tom within 20 yards after a very long standoff. I think I screwed it up by rushing myself a bit. He stood around 50 yards out literally strutting back and forth like someone had drawn a line in the mud that he wouldnt cross. He must not have wanted to fight with the strutter decoy we had out. He did that for 45 minutes to an hour and finally came our way after a hen led him towards us.    They came past us but were outside the decoys and angling slightly away from us. Then the tom turned and started angling straight at the strutter decoy. That meant he was basically quartering to me and when he was 15-17 yards or so out I drew because in the back of my mind i was thinking if he kept moving that way and past the decoy he would quickly be in a spot I would have had no shot.   In hindsight I think he had realized (once he got close enough) that he would have been able to whoop up on the decoy and he was coming in to do just that. I probably should have waited to see, but I didn't and right as I hit the backwall of my draw his head popped up on alert and he turned around and walked straight away knowing something wasn't quite right. I could have easily shot at him at 20 yards but he was facing away and I just didn't feel comfortable. I am confident I would have hit my mark but I didn't like shooting at something walking straight away when I am not experienced with bow hunting turkeys.   I know some people will say that I should have shot, but I have been bow hunting for awhile and never wounded anything because of a poor shot or poor shot selection, so I didn't want that to be a first. Hopefully I get a shot at redemption tomorrow!
    • Way to go team!! I sure took the avg score down with my jake
    • nice story, fishing has a way of easing the pains we have. even when we hurt like crazy when done for the day we are looking forward to the next outing.
    • way to go, guys yep, the toms not about to give up even though its close to closing time have seen several strutters the past couple weeks and heard gobbles yesterday while fishing
    • great job. makes it 5 for 5 for team 5 congrats on a nice tom, 57 and that willl give our team score a boost
    • One More Cast      Photo by:  Roger Abraham   If any of you out there are regular readers of my tales, you have followed my recent struggles with back and knees.  I can’t put a name to this drive I have to be on the stream as of late.  It borders on obsession. I guess in my mind if I am healthy enough to fish the world is right with me and I am not getting old and feeble.      Today I was a witness to that I am not the only one.  Lots of anglers and hunters live to go out into the outdoors. .  It is what drives them.  It makes them feel alive.  It is their passion.  I told my fishing buddy Abe today my thoughts.  I told him how I was feeling a little old.  I guess my 60th birthday coming up next month makes me feel mortal.  Abe laughed and said I was a young buck compared to him.  Abe turns 76 this year.     Abe told me tales about catching big trout in tiny streams in Wisconsin and out west.  The twinkle in his eye when he reminisced I had seen before in many trout anglers.      We fished a stretch for 2 hours.  I sat down and rested often.  Abe kept on fishing. He got hung up in a box elder branch and lost a lure.  Abe told me box elders trees were his nemesis when he fished.   He asked me which tree was my kryptonite.  I told him, "ones with branches."  We both had a chuckle and continued fishing.   I thought to myself this guy is really driven.  I hope I am like him at 76.     We got to the vehicle and Abe wanted to continue fishing.  Abe’s waders sprang a leak earlier and he fell in the water a couple times.  He was quite wet.  He wanted to change in to dry clothes before we continue.  Abe peeled off his wet shirt and there were two things stuck to his chest.  He could tell by my questioning look he needed to tell me what was up.     Abe told me he had been having heart problems lately and he was supposed to be wearing a heart monitor.  He left it in the car because he was afraid of getting the electronics wet.  Here I have been whining about being old and the guy I was fishing with left his heart monitor in his vehicle.      Abe reassured me that he was in no danger and he could continue fishing.  I started brainstorming on a place to fish where it was not so hard walking.  Now that I knew he was not as healthy as he looked I wanted an easy place to fish.  I knew the place and it was upstream 5 miles.     We arrived at the well manicured field.  It looked like a golf green.  I picked the area because the farmer kept sheep and goats on the land and the weeds and brush were gone because of the goats.  We walked and fished.     Abe told tales of the old days and of fish lost and landed.  I walked a little forward to fish and looked back to check up on Abe.  What I saw when I looked back scared me and I immediately asked Abe if he was ok.  Abe was laying flat on the ground face down.  I thought the worst and he could tell by my face.  He told me to calm down.  His back was acting up and he needed to straight it out and that was the best way to do it.   We fished a little bit more and he took a photo of me.  He liked the lighting. He told me it captured the essence of trout fishing.  He did not have a camera.  I let him use mine.  He was not camera savvy and needed an impromptu lesson on how to use it.   We drove to his car and we talked about our love of the outdoors. We shook hands and headed our separate ways and promised to fish again soon.  As I drove home I smiled and thought about how I am going to be when I am 76.  I hope I am like Abe and my eyes still twinkle when I talk of chasing trout and I am still driven to make one more cast.
    • The past week has had me having multiple close calls and missing a brute at 45 yards.  Tonight I talked my dad to give it another try and there were birds in the field when we got there.  Birds ended up leaving as we tried to sneak in.  A short 20 minutes later they were back and we watched and worked the big group of toms and hens for more than 2 hours before we got one to commit.  Dad shot him with his 20 gauge at 48 yards,(this thing shoots an awesome pattern).  The 3 year old was down and only flopped a few times.   Nice 1+ inch spurs, 10" beard and heavy.  A good evening for sure!
    • Sorry to disappoint guys, but this tom was not my first bird of the season. Apparently that's part of the rules. The score won't count towards the team. I don't have any measurements for the jake I shot so we will have a zero from me.    At least my freezer is full. 
  • Our Sponsors