• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep Clear Lakes

DLD24

I found a lake that looks awesome for big walleyes, but I never have much luck finding walleyes on lakes like this...It has steep shorelines everywhere and gets to abouthe 80ft deep... It's a hard break all the way to about 40ft then it tapers down to 80 in the middle....There looks to be one hump that comes up to 20ft (which would be my first spot to check). The water clarity is around 14ft...Where do you guys tend to find fish on lakes like this....Fish the windy side of the lake?? Thanks for any help.

What kind of forage is there? Cisco/tulibee, perch?

Other than the hump, i would first look for subtle difference in the contour close to the steepest drop.

If oxygen is good in the summer i would be suprised to find then off the base of the main drop in 40+ feet of water eating bugs in mud areas.

Starting shallow after dark near any emergent vegetation would be another idea.

Not sure if it will work for your lake but I can tell you what worked in a similar lake but it was much larger. I spent a lot of time and pretty much fished the lake at all times of the day and night for years. Fishing thru the night works with a full moon trolling in the 12' to 18' range using Rapalas to get with in 3' of the bottom. You can use live bait but won't cover as much ground when looking for the most active. One of the best time I found for live bait was from 9:00AM to around 1:00PM. My guess was they would feed heavy right before the sun came up and stop once it was too light. A couple of hours go by and they are ready to eat and it is the bigger fish that put on the feed bag. During this time I never caught a eater size fish. I mostly worked the 16' to 20' breaks next to weeds and rock. This was a mid June thru August pattern using leeches. Hope this helps get you on the right track.