• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Get a CO Detector!!!!

RebelSS

Good posts. ;)  (Last two) Too many people are totally in the dark about CO. Think the Buddy heater is gonna save 'em "I sleep in there all the time with it". Ya, I ran through gunfire and didn't get killed either, but I was lucky and don't want to do it again. I actually called channel 6 news last week when they had a headline on their page of the bakery here last week that sent three people to the hospital from carbon monoxide exposure from a faulty furnace. They had it numerous times as "CO2 sends three people to hospital"..."CO2 levels were so high", etc. Had to explain to them the difference between carbon monoxide and carbon Dioxide....incredible. And they report the NEWS. :angry:

A CO2 detector also protects you from what comes into your house thru a cracked window. Had mine go off last week on red. Turns out the wind had changed and generator exhaust was now blowing towards house. Generator was 50' from the house. 

Fun fact, CO alarms actually won't go off until 70 ppm is reach over 60 minutes. I believe this stems from Chicago FD responding to too many false CO calls. Law was passed to increase the level of exposure to lower emergency calls. Sofia's law is challenging this on boats and trying to mandate low level CO detectors be installed...I believe the incident happened at much less.That said MN is the first state to require CO detectors on boats with cabins.

Get a CO detector that displays an actual reading or better yet, find a low level CO monitor.

CO has a half life of around 4 hours...meaning if u get exposed with a level of say 20, going outside a few minutes won't help much espically if you go back into your infected fishouse....after 4 hrs of fresh air you'll be down to 10...hence the importance of the CO monitor and not just thinking going outside once an hour is doing much good if u have a leak.

That story made headlines but there was another bad CO incident that happened that same week regarding an ice fisherman...who also did not have a CO detector.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Don Julio said:

A CO2 detector also protects you from what comes into your house thru a cracked window. Had mine go off last week on red. Turns out the wind had changed and generator exhaust was now blowing towards house. Generator was 50' from the house. 

A guy my friend knows was just put in the hospital because his generator fumes came in his house

Here's the exact reason why I encourage everyone to buy the digital readout.  After getting holes drilled and everything setup, I always run my bathroom roof fan/vent to get rid of the moisture as the slush on the floor gets melted.  Yesterday I cranked the fan on max which moves some serious air, but I forgot to crack a window, which caused it to actually suction the CO from my water heater back into the house through a propane line pass through.  I looked up and saw 30ppm on the CO detector, which isn't high, but an indicator that something wasn't right.  All it took was cracking a window and turning down the fan for a minute and it was back to 0.  

1 hour ago, ClownColor said:

Rumor has it they are running a story next week regarding ice fishing and CO. 

They?   who?   which next week?   

CO is a concern in anyplace that is heated and enclosed, like your house.   

49 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

If you utilize fossil fuel heat sources. Or, just for you, something that utilizes combustion.

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I remember watching a tv series about house boats and how a kid went swimming and he never came back up I guess the generator was causing some serious high high off the charts numbers under the boat the kid was in the water for less than a min and it got him. Now the pipe the exhaust different because of it.

Over last week I left my generator in my fishouse and didn't shut off the propane.  My CO detector alarmed.

When I opened the door to clear it out I could smell a difference.  It didn't smell like either gas or propane - just different.

It only took a few minutes to clear the alarm but I'm not leaving the generator in there anymore and making sure I turn off the propane.  I usually do that but didn't get it done this last time.  The furnace was shut off like usual though.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, delcecchi said:

It's a multi-media event this Thursday, Jan 26th. Not sure when it is being broadcasted.