• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Get a CO Detector!!!!

RebelSS

Perfect post.  I saw on Facebook that they had just installed a new heater, and cut some vents...no idea if it was from a reliable source.  

Bottom line...for $20 this death wouldn't have happened.  I cringe every time I hear about someone using a ventless heater.  If you go that route, or even if you have a vented heater, get a digital readout CO detector, and look at it from time to time.  If it reads anything other than 0 figure out what is going on.  

Thanks Rebelss.

You just can't emphasize the importance of a C/O alarm especially with the new fish  houses being built so tight. My service man just ran into a B/O furnace on a no heat after hours call.  Home owner was very lucky and of course no alarm.

Do buddy heaters even have a low oxygen / CO shut off?  My understanding is they have a thermocouple that kills the gas flow if it's not lit, but it will burn as long as there is a pilot light and enough O2 for combustion, which is probably less O2 than what it would take to make you feel like dump.  And even if O2 levels are high, CO can still be off the chart.

Do people get a lot of alarms going off?  Seems like there is going to be CO in my porty just from the buddy heater going even if the conc is well below a danger level.  I figured those things were calibrated for use in places like your house which should be right at about 0ppm, unless it's right next to the furnace.

In a related story, my MIL was house sitting for a friend when the CO detector went off.  She opened some windows and went outside but started getting a headache, naseous, light headed, weak, dizzy, all sorts of symptoms.  Called 911.  Fire department rolled out, ambulance sent.... And the detector was alarming because the battery was almost dead.  CO levels were at 0ppm.

Edited by bobbymalone

34 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

Do buddy heaters even have a low oxygen / CO shut off?  My understanding is they have a thermocouple that kills the gas flow if it's not lit, but it will burn as long as there is enough pilot light and enough O2 for combustion.

In a related story, my MIL was house sitting for a friend when the CO detector went off.  She opened some windows and went outside but started getting a headache, naseous, light headed, weak, dizzy, all sorts of symptoms.  Called 911.  Fire department rolled out, ambulance sent.... And the detector was alarming because the battery was almost dead.  CO levels were at 0ppm.

YES, they DO shut down if not enough oxygen. Been dealing with that one for almost 15  years of teaching this. They DO NOT have a CO shutoff, that's what I'm trying to hammer into peoples heads. That's what all thermocouples do, shut the gas valve.

A thermocouple is a safety device for some gas appliances. One end of the thermocouple is heated by a pilot flame, and the other end is connected to a gas valve. As long as the pilot light stays lit, the thermocouple holds the gas valve open and lets gas flow to the main burner of the appliance. The sensor on the end of the thermocouple is heated by the flame of the pilot light. The heat generated is converted into micro volts of electricity. This Electricity is enough to open a tiny magnet in the gas valve, and allow the gas to flow. If the pilot light was to blow out, then the sensor on the Thermocouple cools, and then closes the gas valve to the burner. This ensures that when the pilot flame goes out, Gas cannot escape from the pilot. It is automatically shut down.  That's how it works....if there isn't enough O to support the pilot, you might as well hang it up. They've been petitioned to remove their "low oxygen shut off" from their labeling, as some feels it leads folks to believe they're safe from CO...and apparently, many do. Best they did was re-word it. :angry:

14 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

YES, they DO shut down if not enough oxygen. Been dealing with that one for almost 15  years of teaching this. They DO NOT have a CO shutoff, that's what I'm trying to hammer into peoples heads. That's what all thermocouples do, shut the gas valve.

That's what I thought...  In practice though, that "low O2 sensor" is really just a gas shut off for when you bump the dang thing and the pilot light goes out, which happens everytime you look at it too hard.  I feel like if there isn't enough O2 to support the pilot, you're probably already unconscious, but don't quote me on that.

They should market it as having a low propane shutoff too.  I've noticed when my propane tank is empty, it automatically shuts off.

Edited by bobbymalone

56 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

Do people get a lot of alarms going off?  Seems like there is going to be CO in my porty just from the buddy heater going even if the conc is well below a danger level.  I figured those things were calibrated for use in places like your house which should be right at about 0ppm, unless it's right next to the furnace.

I have one of those non-vented heaters mounted in my fish house but we keep a window cracked at all times. We also have a CO detector and the only time it goes off is when we are drilling holes with the gas auger. 

Here is a question for RebelSS, should the CO detector be mounted high or low or somewhere in between?

Actually, it doesn't really matter, studies show. However, I like to mount mine mid height ...about 4' off off the floor. Like rl_sd said. Too low or too high, and depending on air movement,  possibly may miss an "early"  or slight concentration detection. 

We built this wheel house probably 12-15 years ago or so and I haven't died yet. We are thinking of remodeling the interior and changing the heater out for a vented one though. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

52 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

We built this wheel house probably 12-15 years ago or so and I haven't died yet. We are thinking of remodeling the interior and changing the heater out for a vented one though. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I would get one immediately if it was my house.  In fact I have one in my house (the house I live in).   Never occurred to me that a portable ice house would be tight enough to have a problem.  

11 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I would get one immediately if it was my house.  In fact I have one in my house (the house I live in).   Never occurred to me that a portable ice house would be tight enough to have a problem.  

Get one what? CO detector? I already stated that I have one.

Dave, ....oh never mind. :whistle: 

I dont know if this matters but if you have fans blowing in the house. Should the detectors be away from the fan? I have a fan under my empire and one above the TV moving air around the door. So I have a fan in the front and one in the middle. I just picked a detector up and want to put it in the best place. Im thinking any where as long as you have one.

Thanks

I posted about this down the page. I know who a few of these are. The deceased is from my home town and her best friend dates a close relative a block from me. One of the others goes to our local school. 

It's a sad deal when kids are taken so young. Stay safe.