• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kdrill or Nils

Snowbound

I'm still torn... Waiting on a little tax return that will result in me finally buying something to ice fish with lol. Royce, are you comfortable with using that setup all year long? What about late ice panfish or tullibee searching? 

2 hours ago, Snowbound said:

Well I couldn't resist; picked up a 8" Nils auger blue with red blade for $120

Now to make a power adaptor for a power drill

The key to have this setup work the way a guy wants is to get a drill and battery to match up with it correctly. I bought the milwaukee 2604 brushless fuel drill 725 in/lbs  with two 5ah batteries. It ran the 8in nils, but you could tell the drill had to work a bit in deep ice. So I bought a bare  milwaukee 2704 fuel brushless 1200 in/lb drill tool and put that on a clam plate with the 8in nils. It is the ticket. Basicly replaced my gas auger even on thick ice. 

If your just going to get an adaptor for a drill and not the clam plate, get the nils adaptor with the round plate so if it comes loose in the chuck the auger won't go down the hole. If your drilling and then reversing it to push slush down the hole its not uncommon for the chuck to loosen allowing the auger to drop. 

@Jim Uran  should be dandy. 2, 4 amp batteries should zap close to 70 holes in 20 inches of ice. thats with my ryobi P214.  600 pounds torque.  160 for the drill and 2 batteries.   so I guess it comes down to how many holes does a guy need and how thick is the ice. :) 1 battery, 700 inches sounds close to me. better drill, more inches. 

It makes sense to think about the other use for that motor the rest of the year, Tapping maple trees, drilling a little here and there on whatever I may build, I can't think of a use for an Ion motor besides drilling holes or screwing in ice anchors. Another thing to think of for the average dude. P.S. Still torn lol

29 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

not liking the slush factor. love the drilling. ricks K drill cleans my holes real nice ! !  LOL  the blue shaft looks to be the same as the head. my orange is smaller by about an inch. maybe that is the issue.  

Both blue and orange about same, about an inch smaller then cutting head. The Nils do leave a little more slush in hole then others. Some days it bugs me, some it doesn't. It still seems to take less torque to turn then other augers.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, Snowbound said:

Well I couldn't resist; picked up a 8" Nils auger blue with red blade for $120

Now to make a power adaptor for a power drill

Good deal

I just pulled the trigger and bought the Milwaukee 1/2 inch brushless fuel drill and the 6 inch K drill setup.  Tested it this past weekend.   Could not be happier. 23 holes and battery still had one bar left. This was in approximately 18-20 inches of good ice. 5.0 battery. 

Jim, I have an Ion and love it but given the choice today I can understand your hesitation in the decision. I'm not sure I wouldn't lean toward the Fuel and KDrill. Reverse is a must so Strikemaster would be out for sure. Reverse isn't the end all for cleaning slush, I still use a slush copter, but it does allow you to clear the slush on the drill and not have to bring it all up into the house. Either way you'll have a great combination. The Fuel drill is a nice thing to have around, it's a drop dead brute, unlike anything else out there!