• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Usfw places bumblebee on endangered list....

RebelSS

We are seeing fewer bees buzzing around plants and flowers these days. Not just because it's cold, but because of an alarming decline in the bee population. The number of one bee species in particular is plummeting.

"We made observations about the decline, but we needed proof," said Research Scientist, Elaine Evans at the University of Minnesota's Bee Lab.

Evans has been studying the Rusty Patched Bumblebee for years.

"The evidence was clear enough that they could see that this is important and we do need to take action now, to do what we can while they're still here," says Evans.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently placed the Rusty Patched Bumblebee on the endangered species list, making it the first bee to get the designation in the continental United States.

"The whole ecosystem is really dependent on what's happening to with these bees," said Evans.

Back in the 1990's, the bees were found in 28 states, Washington D.C. and two provinces. These days you'll only find them in 13 states and one province.

"The pollinators are very important to us in our ecology, in the environment, and honey bees, bumblebees, monarch butterflies, wasps, they're all important," said Sister Alice Thraen who keeps bees at Assisi Heights in Rochester, Minnesota. 

"It's about 90% of flowering plants that are dependent on animals for pollinating and bees are the biggest group of animals that are pollinating," said Evans.

The Rusty Patched Bumblebees are not the only bees that are in trouble, though.

"The hope is that with this listing, the kind of habitat improvement that we'll be able to do, the kind of awareness will help these other bees, too," says Evans.

The endangered species categorization for the the Rusty Patched Bumblebee will officially take effect February 10, 2017.  

It's painfully obvious to anyone who spends time outside (and pays attention) that bees have been near nonexistent over the last few years. And you know that we have been the cause of that in one way or another. I like bees and bumblebees..................Hornets and wasps on the other hand are the arseholes of the insect world and will never be friends of mine. :)

I've planted as many flowers and bee attracting plants around my place as I can. When my Sedums turn maroon in fall, they're normally loaded and covered  with bumbles until freeze-up. The last two years, very few. I've been doing what i can to help them out for three or for years, when I got interested in this...even though I'm highly allergic to bee stings, Never had a bumble sting me though.. Just those darned wasps and hornets.:mad:

A list of Bee happy plants...:)

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/20-beautiful-flowers-attract-bees-garden/

When you have time check the University sites for information on bees and other "pollinators" and how you can help. Then do some surfing to find places in MN and other states where you can get seeds etc. to get some stuff going.

We have been slowly cultivating little beds here and there around our compound that are filled with bee attracting flowers,  several easy to grow species and also so milkweed beds.  Milkweed is a little more difficult to get started but we were able to SEE more Monarch Butterflies from our front deck this summer!!   Great satisfaction.

And speaking of wasps and hornets lemme tell you about a pleasant little terror called the Tarantula Wasp:  it is about three inches long, stands up on legs maybe an inch tall, and has a stinger on the aft end that will put you on the ground in agony if it becomes angry!!  Fortunately for most folks here they are pretty laid black and,  to the best of my knowledge are not indigenous to Minnesota.  But be careful wandering around Trumps wall when it's done!!

Aren't they the ones who lay eggs on tarantulas, which are sort of scarce in Minnesota? 

It will be interesting to see what kind of power grabs this bunblebee listing leads to.  We will see if amy klobuchar or al franken come to the rescue of Minnesota land owners.  Better spray your lawn quick so they don't find any bumblebees there.  :sick:

Frankly I am less worried about the long term health of Minnesota "landowners" than I am the pollinators.  In my opinion the $@#$%# Minnesota "landowners" are a major reason the bees and other insects are in trouble.  Have you heard the stories about a few small communities calling talk on the surrounding agricultural interests polluting and compromising their small town wells? Look it up.  You may be seeing more of it.

We are all part of this but some of us have not recognized THEIR responsibility.

Gads......I love to see the bees all over the white clover!   So our acres don't look like a golf course......so what?  We LIKE it that way.  And remember....it is OURS and locked into staying as it is FOREVER.   Ha Ha Ha.   Eat your heart out developers and real estate goblins.

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

You better not get caught spraying the white clover in your grass, Reb.  The bumblebees love that stuff. 

I don't use any weed killers in my yard. No weeds. No clover. No dandelions  Just thick luscious grass,

Now I know where to take all the seeds from my Dandelions and Plantain.... Late at night while you're sleeping....And the wind is the right direction......

I do wish I could find something that would work for me to get rid of the creeping charlie.  That stuff seems bullet proof.  

Edited by delcecchi

On 2/21/2017 at 7:34 PM, andy33 said:

It is sad to know that they are on the endangered list. Bees are excellent pollinators and are highly beneficial for the garden.  

Actually only one species of bumblebee so far.  

I have no idea how one distinguishes the species of bumblebees.   

Luckily for me my neighbor across the road bought a hive with 2500 or 25,000 bees, I forget, last summer. Have bees everywhere here in the summer and we plant a lot of flowers and will be increasing that this summer to help the little dudes. Even got a jar of honey from him last year!