Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Does anyone have any technical knowledge on these.  I've had 2 go bad after just 3 month of use??  Does it matter on price vs quality?  Does it matter if they are constantly turned on and off?

Thanks

talking about 120V regular light bulb replacements or some sort of fish house lighting?

I've had bad luck with super cheap straight out of china 12v LEDs.  Better luck with cheap straight out of china but packaged in America 12v LEDs.     

Edited by bobbymalone

Oh-oh, don't like hearing that! I bought a few of the cheap R-20 LED's for 2 of our recessed cans. They've only been in for about a month. I've heard of fluorescents going bad slightly sooner by turning them on and off, but not LED's.

Those bulbs, like CFLs, have a bunch of electronics in them to convert the 110 to the voltage the leds or cfl bulbs like.  On off cycles are hard on electronics.  And cheap bulbs probably skimp on electronics and heat sinking as well.  

Are the fixtures well ventilated?  Those ceiling cans can build up heat that is detrimental to electronics.   

Also the bulbs can, like other electronics, be susceptible to "infant mortality" which means the failure rate is much higher in the first few months of use.  

I also bought a bunch of bulbs on sale at Menards. They advertised 20 plus years of service and justified the high price because they last so long and use less power . They came guaranteed , but I didn't bother to save the package or receipt  my mistake ! They didn't last any longer than regular bulbs, about a year . No name or model on the bulbs so not much recourse and Menards don't Cary that brand on the shelf .

Seems these days it would pay to take a digital photo of every thing you purchase along with the receipt . 

I was a project manager for a large hog production company until this past spring.  They had been using CFL bulbs in a sealed glass housing and literally had hundreds to multiple hundreds of bulbs per site. It was amazing how many bulbs they were blowing through every month. 

Over the past year they began to convert to LED bulbs and the result was better life and much lower failure rate. 

I switched our house over to LED over a year ago because incandescent bulbs were constantly failing and not a single bulb has failed yet.

As far as price, these bulbs were picked up from Sam's club for $21 which is like $.50 a bulb. 

_2.IMG_20170106_090739.jpg

LED's require a newer dimmer than anything available in the past according to my electrical engineer son.  If you have them in a circuit that has a dimmer that could be what the problem is.  I don't know exactly what it's all about but if you have one in a deal with a dimmer you should got and replace that switch.  Be sure to get a dimmer that specifically says it will work with LED'S

Hmm, Thanks.  I see the bulbs marked "dimmable" and figured that meant they worked with classic dimmers.   Now I need to do some research...  

I do notice that "dimmable" cfl bulbs don't have a very wide range of dimmability.  But they don't harm the dimmer or themselves. 

That's interesting...I've always wondered about that. I've been in my house over 20 years, and other than bonking the garage/trouble light bulbs, the only ones I ever, very rarely replace (over a year or more) is the big high intensity spot over the kitchen sink....I swear some of these bulbs in here are over 15 years old!!!  I do know I had a great electrician do the house. ..and I did the garage/downstairs. Musta done it right. :)

20 hours ago, RebelSS said:

That's interesting...I've always wondered about that. I've been in my house over 20 years, and other than bonking the garage/trouble light bulbs, the only ones I ever, very rarely replace (over a year or more) is the big high intensity spot over the kitchen sink....I swear some of these bulbs in here are over 15 years old!!!  I do know I had a great electrician do the house. ..and I did the garage/downstairs. Musta done it right. :)

I agree 100%  the original CAN lights are 12 years old and other than 2 have burnt out.  So far that many new LED's have burned out.

4 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

The Bots are getting good.

I was going to ask Donna if that was her nice place in Pennsylvania?  Wasn't sure when Palm trees started growing out there? :lol:

ENTER THE FOLLOWING NUMBERS AND FLAG TYPE TO PROVE YOU'RE NOT A ROBOT FROM PENNSYLVANIA

*click*clickety*click  bzzzzz*whirrrrrr*

ERROR....ERROR....GEORGIA *BEEP* GEORGIA *BEEP*WARNING*WARNING*

Image result for WAVY NUMBERS