Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Luttes

13 Fishing Black Betty Freefall

8 posts in this topic

Anyone using this reel this year?  Looks pretty slick, but is it worth the $100 price tag? 

no.  the one that i used for a few days gave me all the same headaches all the other inlines did.   i only used it on sunfish so the little tungsten jigs did not activate the "free fall" function of the reel.  still had to pull off by hand.  and their drag isn't any better. 

Just now, hnd said:

no.  the one that i used for a few days gave me all the same headaches all the other inlines did.   i only used it on sunfish so the little tungsten jigs did not activate the "free fall" function of the reel.  still had to pull off by hand.  and their drag isn't any better. 

Interesting! I have the no 8 inline and it has a freespool tension adjustment knob, my tungsten jigs fly down the hole with minimal involvement. 

eyeguy 54 likes this

So mostly just flashy marketing and a fancy paint job.  Good to know!

still love mine. :)   #8. I still think it's just getting used to his style reel. Maybe Luttes and I should give lessons?? LOL ;)  

Not as smooth as the 6061's. Even on the lightest tension setting it's hard to get smaller jigs to drop, even small tungsten. Nowhere near what the 6061's could do.  Drag is adequate but not great.

However, I really like the ergonomics of it. I've turned it into my small/medium pan fish spoon reel because it will drop those.

Was it worth the price of admission, I'd lean towards no. They have work to do on this one.

Worst buy I ever bought. I sold it the next week. I like 13 products but not this line of products

Luttes likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• I would say your results speak for themselves, we often do things that don't make sense or trade short term gain for long term trouble. Nature does things for a reason that we often don't understand, why try to fix what isn't broken?
    • Two charter boats. (11 people) Fishing was very slow last Sunday afternoon (8), but we did really well on Monday morning (43). Due to bad luck drawing cards, neither Mrs Duff or I touched a rod on Sunday. She went 5 for 5 on Monday. That's fishing for ya though. And true fishermen understand that.   Some real nice fish this year, good luck to those that make it out there.      
    • And no, it does not have some sort of virus. They are calling it a phishing site and it is not. It competes with Google adsense so it make sense for Google to be sloppy in their algorithm.
    • Great storytelling with pictures on a portion of your life experiences in the  great outdoors.  Thanks for sharing Len.  
    • Len - This was a very nice article.  I enjoyed your writing style.  Take care.
    • I am going to pick up a box to pattern against what I am shooting now. Here is my question. They are available in both 1 3/4 oz. shot and 1 7/8 oz. shot in 12 gauge. In a 3" 12 gauge #5 shot shell, that comes out to a 21 pellet difference. The velocity for 1 3/4 is 1200 fps, for 1 7/8 is 1080. At 20 yards it would make very little difference, but say at 45 yards would you rather have the extra 21 pellets or the added velocity? I suppose the answer is to buy both and pattern them, but I am curious as to the thoughts of the folks on this board. Thanks
    • I was looking to get an otter XT pro cabin this winter, I was wondering of anyone on here has an otter in the pro platform and how they like the extra insulated walls. Does it seem bulky? Too warm on above 0 days? I wouldn't mind just the normal cabin but they only offer it with a bench it seems but having the extra insulation may be nice to have for those cold days here and there. 
    • Thank You for the very interesting and enjoyable morning read
  • Our Sponsors