• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzy Range in the Cities

Anybody know of a range in the cities where I can shoot a muzzy? I'm not a member of any clubs, but would like to shoot sooner than the OTP sight in period most of those offer. Trying to work up a good powder and bullet combo well prior to the fall. 

On January 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM, nofishfisherman said:

I know I've seen guys shooting muzzy's at Oakdale Gun Club but I'm not aware of any public hours during the winter.  They do have some public hours in the summer and then expanded hours leading up to the deer season.

They run a very tight firing line, tho. You won't be able to clean your gun when the line is down, which makes sustained shooting a slow process. 

That is true, they generally do run a very tight line.  Although I was there a few years ago with a new rifle that I was breaking in and was running some patches through it and they let me do that on the bench while the line was down.  Of course it was a bolt action rifle and its pretty easy to verify its safe when the bolt is laying on the table next to me. 

Personally I appreciate them running things like they do. I'd rather have them run a tight line and have the process take more time than them getting lose with the rules.  You never know who else is on the line and what their bad habits might be. 

If anyone is concerned with down time I've had good luck getting there very early on a weekday during public hours or even early on a Sunday.  I've had the entire 100 yard range to myself once or twice when shooting early and never had more than a handful of guys on the entire range most mornings.  If you get lucky and have it to yourself no need to worry about down time.