• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tullibee

2 hours ago, Jim Uran said:

I watched a video on some dudes catching Tullies on Winnie and the guy said, "Scale them, cut the heads off, gut them, and then stuff them with your favorite poultry stuffing and bake them"... That was the recipe, lol. 

I'll pass on that recipe. Tullies have a distinct flavor and tullies flavored stuffing..... No thanks!

47 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Hey what's wrong with stove top??:grin::grin:

Not a dang thing, best after school meal side dish ever invented!!!  Plus it would finish cooking well inside that greasy tullibee :D My girlfriend is going to beat me for stinking up the house :blush:

I had these dang things bugging me last weekend. They almost look like Lakers on the flasher streaking up and down. I gave up smoking the things because they are way to boney to pick through if you ask me! :tired:

Edited by leech~~

6 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

i always thought they were about identical smoked :) 

The flesh in tullibee is soft and mushy and has a stronger taste than whitefish.  The flesh in whitefish is firm and flaky like walleye.

Might be somewhat dependent on the water they come out of - not sure about that, but that has been my experience.

Edited by swamptiger

It's been alot of years since I had smoked tullies, since the days of the leech lake blood bath days. Wouldn't mind getting a few again but my ice season is pretty much done. Minor back surgery Feb 1.

9 hours ago, swamptiger said:

The flesh in tullibee is soft and mushy and has a stronger taste than whitefish.  The flesh in whitefish is firm and flaky like walleye.

Might be somewhat dependent on the water they come out of - not sure about that, but that has been my experience.

interesting. whitefish are normally a bit bigger. I have had them in the smoker at the same time and love them both. I fillet the fish and smoke with the skin on. maybe why they taste the same?   love them :)