• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Impressed With Ion Service

Hawg

Like almost everybody that bought early I got a bad drill. As stated in another thread the cast iron bottom did not get the proper finish and it caused everything from binding up when drilling to ice sticking to it after drilling. The new ones are fine and I'm still a hard core Ion guy, they are an awesome auger. When I started talking about my problems the guy said "I know", saw that I had registered the drill, and confirmed my address to send me a trade out as soon as he got mine back. When I told him I was going to Red Lake in a short time and needed my auger he said yours will going the mail today and send me the old one back in the box you get the new one and return from the trip. Here's an example of a company that made a mistake and didn't shy away from it. A good company isn't defined in my book by whether they goof up, everybody does, but how they handle the goof up. Ion handled this in a first class way.     

Even they don't like selling the 10 inchers. You have to know going in your hole count will be limited and battery lfe will suffer. That's a lot more torque than the 8 inch need to turn. I would like one too but I'm finally used to the 8 inch hole, but it took three years to say that. Even if they would just do a full 8 inch or 9 but my guess is a lot smarter people than me did the science on them. 

Kind of sidetracking this thread but I thinking of getting an Ion auger.

I carry my current gas auger on an ATV and sometimes the powerhead gets covered with snow and then will not run properly.

Any issues with the Ion in this type situation?

Yep going in you know you aren't going to get the same hole count out, but that's wouldn't be an issue for me.  These things seem tailor made for wheelhouses given the no fumes.   If you only move once or twice a day, you won't need to get that many holes, but most people I know that fish in wheel houses prefer 10" holes. 

11 hours ago, Hawg said:

A good company isn't defined in my book by whether they goof up, everybody does, but how they handle the goof up. Ion handled this in a first class way.     

This.

It makes or breaks most business relationships.  Granted lots of goof ups can't be overcome but those who care and have a good product won't goof up lots.

7 hours ago, Snowbound said:

Kind of sidetracking this thread but I thinking of getting an Ion auger.

I carry my current gas auger on an ATV and sometimes the powerhead gets covered with snow and then will not run properly.

Any issues with the Ion in this type situation?

You can, and should get a cover for your auger if your travels cause that problem.  I know exactly what your talking about.

I can say as an Ion owner I don't have the same worries.  Haven't coated it in slush and ice yet but wouldn't anyway if I could help it.  There are switches that need to operate but no oily linkages and springs that are snow magnets.

Can't Ion say between Serial # X and Serial # Y we had a coating problem? I bought mine in early November and have not drilled a hole yet. That is going to change this weekend for sure. Need to have an auger that works properly for an early February trip. Had a friend buy the Ion X about the same time and has had no problems  and loves it. 

I bought my Ion in Dec and have punched maybe 300 holes over the course of  20 days of fishing without a single issue. When I push the button it cuts. It doesnt throw the chips all over. And put it in reverse and slush is gone. I leave my house in the air when I drill and set the house down on the chips and always have a very good seal.

Im very happy with mine