• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Led light strips

swamptiger

I want to install a couple of LED light strips in my portable and run them off my Vex battery.

Wondering where is the best place to get them?

I know there is already a thread going about various lighting options, but I'm looking specifically for places to buy the flexible type of LED 12 volt strips that can be fastened to the framework in a portable, and run off a 12v battery.

Edited by swamptiger

Amazon has a good selection and some bait shops also sell them. Love the ones I put in my portable. 

Some of them need soldering and some don't so watch for the kind you want. If you can solder them they can be cut to the length you want. 

Looking for outdoor rated waterproof strips about 4 to 5 feet long with the heavier gauge wire.  These are not easy to find.  I found one guy on the big auction site who had them, but is currently sold out of white.  He said he will have them again in 4 to 5 weeks.

I got a 36 inch strip from scheels 3 years ago now I believe. There troo shine lights there like $40 for that size. But well worth that price they have sticky tape on them that is VERY sticky it's been on my pole for that long and hasn't even tried peeling ever even in extreme cold. Comes with like 10 feet of wire and some nice alligator clips. 

Here ya go get warm white

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J77LLT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can cut them every inch or so

then get

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LW0WDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

and this dimmer

https://www.amazon.com/INIEIWO-Remote-Controller-Wireless-Dimmer/dp/B01HR93FBM/ref=pd_day0_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XG4RQGWEBYAK0RZGSWGN

FYI these dimmers are great they work on PMW so you actually use less current so you can extend your battery run time by turning the lights down.

23 hours ago, Snowbound said:

http://www.ecolocityled.com/product/led_ribbon_waterproof_10ftw/12v_ultra_white_led_strips

This is what I installed in my 6 x 10

One 10' strip, good light

Looks like a nice product, but man is that expensive!

1 hour ago, Fishin machine said:

I got a 36 inch strip from scheels 3 years ago now I believe. There troo shine lights there like $40 for that size. But well worth that price they have sticky tape on them that is VERY sticky it's been on my pole for that long and hasn't even tried peeling ever even in extreme cold. Comes with like 10 feet of wire and some nice alligator clips. 

The Troo Shine lights look like a good setup.

1 hour ago, vtx1029 said:

Looks like a nice product, but man is that expensive!

Not sure why there is such a huge variation in the prices on these things.

1 hour ago, swamptiger said:

The Troo Shine lights look like a good setup.

Not sure why there is such a huge variation in the prices on these things.

From what I was able to find it looked like they all originated from the same manufacturer.  Cheap ones have been working great for me.  We have them in our shack, in my portable, in the shed at the lake, and I plan to start putting them up in the garage at the next house when I move in the spring.

I have purchased led lights from oznium.com . They have quite a selection from solid and flexible light strips and many other light options and switches. Great customer service and fast shipping. Wired my old portable and new one with overhead lights and tub lights from them. 

20161009_130023.jpg

20161009_130035.mp4

Edited by AAmerican

Swamptiger, I found a 3ft strip at L&M Fleet Supply last winter for like $30 or so in the ice fishing section. Can't remember who makes them but they have a nice sticky back and thick gauge wire leading to the battery. I think the same company offered a 4' strip for like $35 or $40 there too. They seem like they are built right, that's for sure. 

Troo Shine, that's what they were. 

Edited by Jim Uran
Added product name

39 minutes ago, Jim Uran said:

Troo Shine, that's what they were

I'll check those out next time I go to Fleet.  Looks like there are a lot of options out there.

6 hours ago, borg0196 said:

www.hawgoutdoor.com

They are already wired for a vex battery, they come with strips to attach to your poles, and they have a cover over the strip. Only 19.99, fast turn around time, and awesome customer service.

That looks good for the price, too..

Bought mine on eeebayy for $12.50 to the door. 16' of 5050 waterproof daylight white strip lights. Cut them in half and ran them in my new otter cabin down to my vexlar battery. Very bright. They come with 3M tape to fasten to your poles. I also used some ty wraps to make sure they held in the cold. The seller on eeeebayy was UK.LE. 

IMG_2222.JPG

Edited by Don Julio
Wrong words

Are people wiring these up to the same flasher they're fishing with, or using a separate battery mounted in the sled?

I have a little Kenai one-man flip-over, and I like to bounce around. I can't see myself alligator clipping this up every time. 

I bought the Clam light that has the LEDs right in the section of pipe.  I have a Clam house but it will work with any of the pipe frames on other houses.  They include clips of various sizes to clamp it on instead of cutting the tubing to install.  This light is amazing.  One of the brightest I have come across.  I also have the clam sled lights but don't even need them now.  $39 is well worth it

Have not seen a Hawg light.  Got any pics?

Just looked at page.  Looks like a good light. Probably close in brightness to the Clam.  Hard to tell on pictures.  I bought the Clam cuz I like how the lights are in the pipe.  Nice clean look.  

Edited by slammer

On 1/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, borg0196 said:

www.hawgoutdoor.com

They are already wired for a vex battery, they come with strips to attach to your poles, and they have a cover over the strip. Only 19.99, fast turn around time, and awesome customer service.

Here's the link above.  There are photos on the site showing examples of how much light it gives off.

It gives off great light. I have a battery sitting in my center console that they are connected to. I installed a switch to the light, off amazon for $2, so I just flip that when I want them on. I will try and get some pictures tonight.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, BassThumb. said:

Are people wiring these up to the same flasher they're fishing with, or using a separate battery mounted in the sled?

I have a little Kenai one-man flip-over, and I like to bounce around. I can't see myself alligator clipping this up every time. 

I use a separate battery for my lights and have them wired to switches.  I have the Clam battery pack thing that includes the bag and charger.