• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris is shutting down Victory motorcycles?

rundrave

“This was an incredibly difficult decision for me, my team and the Polaris Board of Directors. Over the past 18 years, we have invested not only resources, but our hearts and souls, into forging the Victory Motorcycles brand, and we are exceptionally proud of what our team has accomplished. Since inception, our teams have designed and produced nearly 60 Victory models that have been honored with 25 of the industry’s top awards. The experience, knowledge, infrastructure and capability we’ve built in those 18 years gave us the confidence to acquire and develop the Indian Motorcycle brand, so I would like to express my gratitude to everyone associated with Victory Motorcycles and celebrate your many contributions.”

Sad deal, that factory is just a few miles East of where I live. I drive by it all the time. I wonder if they will use that location in Iowa to manufacture another part of the Polaris line. 

So basically what they are saying is that it was easier to buy Indian than keep doing and making their own bikes? I wonder if there were also issues with Indian and Victory competing with each other or if that played a role in the decision.

As a victory owner its sad to see. I've really enjoyed my bike and will continue to ride it. I don't get how they compete much, more like they are taking away their less profitable bikes to sway people over to their money makers. Until they change the looks of the Indians I will never own a Indian.

I was at the Spirit Lake plant a couple years ago and while yes half that plant seemed to be the victory line they had the Indian line right next to it along with I believe was the GEM electric frame or some government contract frame. Hopefully the workers their can keep their jobs. 

The market is pretty flooded with bikes out there. I'm no expert on Victory motorcycles but they had a lot of competition with Harley and probably even more the proven reliable foreign bikes out there. The Indian name has been well known for a long time in motorcycles but I still like the looks of most Harleys over the looks of an Indian. The other thing about Harleys is they are pretty easy to modify to your liking and there are a ton of HD and aftermarket parts to do it.

Saw the guy on TV.  Basically they haven't been as successful with Victory as they had hoped.  It has been a real struggle, and with the success of Indian they decided to go that way.   Indian was more successful in the marketplace. 

As long as they can focus on Indian they should be OK but I suppose they need to be careful to stay true to what made Indian popular with its fans so as not to alienate them rather than just trying to still make Victory cycles with an Indian badge on them. 

Thats what they are doing.  Vic sales just never took off like they hoped.  Indians are better market competition to harleys and more profitable.  They are also  far superior in quality than the Victorys.  I traded my Vegas and Goldwing for these two and couldn't be happier.

fullsizeoutput_2da.jpeg

Edited by slammer