• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford F-150 diesel coming in 2018

Good news imo. The only downer is they never make something like this available in a stripped down work truck and if Ford follows their current trend it will be an 80k truck.

It’s finally happened.

For the first time in 70 years, Ford is making a diesel version of its light duty F-Series truck.

The automaker announced on Sunday that the redesigned 2018 F-150 will be available with a new Power Stroke 3.0-liter V6, a long-rumored and much-anticipated development.

Expand / Contract

The only other light duty full-size pickup offered with a diesel option today is the Ram 1500, which also features a 3.0-liter V6 and boasts the highest fuel economy among half-ton pickups. Power and fuel economy ratings for the diesel F-150 have not yet been revealed, but Ford expects it to be popular with customers who buy their trucks to use for towing. It’ll be matched to a version of Ford’s new 10-speed automatic transmission that debuted in the 2017 F-150 Raptor.

Along with the diesel, 2018 F-150 buyers will have four new or updated gasoline engines to choose from, all with fuel-saving stop-start capability: an entry-level 3.3-liter V6; 2.7-liter and 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6; and a 5.0-liter V8 featuring direct and port fuel injection for improved power and efficiency. The turbocharged and V8-powered trucks will use the 10-speed transmission, while the 3.3-liter V6 comes with a six-speed. Ford promises a maximum tow rating in excess of 12,200 pounds.

The F-150 is also getting a styling update for 2018, with new grille, headlight and tailgate designs that more closely resemble the ones on the latest F-Series Super Duty (the Raptor will retain its unique look.) An automatic emergency braking system that can spot and brake for pedestrians that step in front of the vehicle, plus an adaptive cruise control system that can bring the truck all the way to a full stop with the traffic in front of it, then pull away when it starts moving again without the driver needing to touch the pedals will be optional.

No idea if Chevy is going to step up and get with the times or continue to slip farther behind the times.

the Nissan Titan XD Crew S 4x4 with the 5.0 diesel ( for comparison )

MSRP: $44,370

Horsepower: 310 hp @ 3,200 rpm

Engine: 5.0 L V8 diesel

Curb weight: 6,810 lbs

Dimensions: 231″ L x 80″ W x 77″ H

Tire size: LT245/75R17

Torque: 555 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm

towing: Up to 12,310-lb

I believe this is the same engine that the Tundra will have when they release the diesel version.

On a side note. The 5.0 getting direct injection has been anticipated for a couple of years now.

And you are right- the new F-150 will probably list for $75,000 or so. Just what we all want to drag our little boats around. Ha Ha!

I still think the good old first version Powerstroke was the best one of the bunch.....original design by Cat,   licensed by Navistar and dependable as the sunrise. I sometimes wish I had never sold mine but I just had no further use for it.  Slapped a giant WARN winch on the front, ripped off those silly automatic locking hubs and replaced them with manual hubs and added some billion lumen driving lights so I could see moose a mile away.Loved that truck!

Now driving a civilized snow white Tahoe.  And a couple well made sedans.  First thing I did was throw the aft end seats out and build a nice FLAT floor that fits in there and looks like factory stuff. Already have 50K miles on it and have not had ONE problem since I drove it off the floor. Can't complain.

Thanks for the update.

Would be nice to get some pricing for the new truck.  If Ford does it right they could have a real winner.  It has been talked about for years and at one time was supposed to have a Cat engine and then Cat said "No,  we can barely handle what we are doing around the world.  Then Dodge had the nifty little Cummins-a dandy little diesel so that let that out of the running. Somebody in here made complimentary noises about Cummins and they be right. Couple of my pals had Cummins 555's in their pleasure boats in AK and they were rock solid.  I preferred the 6V53 Jimmys and then went to bigger Perkins which I loved....tremendous engines and total of 7-8 gallons per hour at 12-13 knots.  And my old original vintage Ford Powerstroke was absolutely consistent at 14-15 mgp towing our 30' Airstream all over the US. I really don't know much about the Chevy Duramax but it has been around long enough now that it must get the job done.

Love that diesel power and simplicity!!

Edited by Ufatz