• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How close???

mysnopro

48 minutes ago, Sea Hage said:

I wonder if the people that set up 20 feet away from someone live in a metro area ? They must, they live with a next door neighbor 20 feet away their whole life so they think nothing of setting up on the ice close to someone else.

We have shanty towns comprised of mostly locals in central MN too.  Crappie holes and walleye structure are only so big, and not so secret anymore.

How many boats work the same stuff during the summer?  Boats move though - perm fish houses don't.  People grumble on the water and ice about others on their stuff or being too close all year.  It's just more noticeable in the winter.

I caught myself being a little annoyed with someone on Saturday for setting up his porty about 50 - 60 yards in front of my truck and wheel house.  A smaller, private access lake that a friend helped me get on and plowed a road to try this "new" spot.  The plow width allowed me to set our house down perfectly snug in its path and with his loop, it would allow me to move deeper off the break if I wanted.  We were the only ones on that end of the lake.

The porty was just off the outgoing loop but made me feel uncomfortable with executing the move plan because it would've put me in his face.  This was in a basin so I didn't understand "why there?"  It was about the only place in the white wide open that could mess up my plan.

I had to tell myself to not be annoyed and just get back to fishin.  If it really mattered I would've either talked to him or broke trail in another angle.

Too close is VERY relative to where you are.

The regulations stand, if you don't like them, lobby the DNR to change them. The distance is more of a concern these days with the use of GPS and lake maps there is less of a situation of finding structure because you now know where that structure exists. Be cordial to each other and quit crying. If they're within the regulations, you have nothing to complain about. If they're being noisy and you like being a quiet person, well, there's no regulations for that so basically you'll need to move if you don't like it.

most people are pretty good in the shanty towns that I frequent.  the thing that pisses me off is the guys that come out with there 50 grand fish house and there 5 dollar generator.  instead of leaving it in the back of the truck where it wont bother anyone they drag it 50ft front there house set it next to me and let it buck very annoying.

3 hours ago, Musky_45 said:

most people are pretty good in the shanty towns that I frequent.  the thing that pisses me off is the guys that come out with there 50 grand fish house and there 5 dollar generator.  instead of leaving it in the back of the truck where it wont bother anyone they drag it 50ft front there house set it next to me and let it buck very annoying.

I had a guy do that also on Sat in N.D. Pulled in with a Ford F350 and a big Ice Castle and started his  2000 watt All-Pro generator and set it in front of his pickup about 40 ft and went and got in his house. I went and asked him if he want to plug into my Honda 2000 so I didnt have to listen to its all afternoon.

But when I left we picked up and got everything ready. He never came out and I could see him looking out the window so I just unplugged his cord and picked up my generator and left. Never came out to thank me. But the guy next to me thanked me so he wouldnt have to listen to it.

17 hours ago, 1lessdog said:

I had a guy do that also on Sat in N.D. Pulled in with a Ford F350 and a big Ice Castle and started his  2000 watt All-Pro generator and set it in front of his pickup about 40 ft and went and got in his house. I went and asked him if he want to plug into my Honda 2000 so I didnt have to listen to its all afternoon.

But when I left we picked up and got everything ready. He never came out and I could see him looking out the window so I just unplugged his cord and picked up my generator and left. Never came out to thank me. But the guy next to me thanked me so he wouldnt have to listen to it.

Geez...we must fish the same lakes :) Both of these posts above have become common now that "ice castling" has become the latest fad and everyone and their mother is on the ice.  There is an abnormally large % of those with the shiny new toy who chose only to save money on their generator, but spend as much as they possibly can on their truck and fish house.  I can spot them from a mile away...3-4 guys get out of the truck, they circle around the fish house a few times wondering how to get it lowered to the ice, then they finally figure it out, and 2 of the guys offload the residential home backup generator and carry it 100 yards away, 150 pulls later they get it fired up, and I only know because it's so loud it rattles the dishes in my cabinets.          

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Oh c'mon you guys they all say 60 Db, ya right! You'd have to be nuts to spend double just cause it says Honda or Yamaha on it.:mad:

Another classic!  

Here's one that I just found out about last weekend.  A person I fish with frequently bought a new "exact Honda copy" Chinese made generator 2 seasons ago.  It was barely cheaper (like $600 instead of $900).  The enterprising salesperson insisted that it used Honda parts.  From day 1 it sounded more like a 1990 Cummins diesel at -40 than a Honda.  It supposedly was an inverter style, but it didn't ever idle down, regardless of the load on it.  

This summer he decided he was going to do something about it, so ordered about $100 worth of (Honda) parts.  They sat on the shelf for a bit before he got to it, come to find out none of them fit, and it was outside the return window for the parts.  Long story longer, he gave up, sold the parts for peanuts, sold the generator for $150, and bought a Honda.  Had he bought the Honda right away (like I insisted), he would have spent $900 instead of the $600+100+900-150.  His Honda ultimately cost him $1,450.      

We should all buy a cheapie just for times when a portable sets up right out your window or door. I had a guy on one of the crazy generator threads tell me Honda only makes 1 engine and will sell them to 3rd party manufactures. That $300 Honda powered Costco unit is exactly like my Honda and I'm and id iot to think otherwise. It's all just marketing.

Edited by Hawg

21 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I have amplified exterior speakers, and a very special Boyz II Men album I've held on to for the last 20 years for "that guy"!

A fifth wheel camper I bought used several years ago came complete with a Coolio cassette tape in the tape player. I always figured the purpose of it must have been for anyone who camps too close or their music was too loud.:D

Some people just don't have any common sense or courtesy.  Kind of like at Walmart.  Complete lack of situational awareness.  We have a nice small area plowed on the river next to the neighbors house.  Have three fish houses that barely fit in this area.  The other day a guy sets up his portable about 30 feet from one of the fish houses in the plowed area.  Come on.  He said the guy that owns the bait shop told him to go there.  So then the guy who owns the bait shop comes by.  We told him what we think of that and he said he told the guy a different spot not this one.   ????   Ya we don't own the river but I try to get as far away from people as I can when I fish winter and summer.  I don't have an answer mysnopro.  

Something else to keep in mind. When I was bow hunting I learned judging distance is not as easy as one might think. The bow I used was not super fast so judging a deer to be at 30 yards when it was really 40 yards would mean missing. 

In my experience, we over-estimate distance sometimes by quite a lot on open areas such as open fields or on a lake. On an open area one doesn't have anything to provide a size reference so we tend to think objects are closer than they really are. Sometimes we can be off by quite a bit.

It works just the opposite in the forest where we have lots of references for size. Most of the time when a guy says he shot his deer from 50 yards it is probably a good bet that it was not quite that far.

Personally, I don't like to get too close to anyone else. When on open water I rarely fish where others are. This can sometimes work against me as there is probably a reason for them being there. When ice fishing I try to stay 50 yards or more away from others. At the very least, I don't want to be close enough that our lines could become crossed when handling fish. 

So my buddy and I have fished this one lake for 6 years now and only ever seen maybe 20 other people out there fishing in that time frame and I go out to our house with my four wheeler last saturday just after lunch to get set up for the even and this is no joke, I pull up to the our house and there is a clam portable literally set up in front of our door with no more then 12 inches between his portable and our door to the house. after i pulled up the guy came flying out of the portable chewing my A*$ and called me disrespectful for he is trying top fish and i just come driving right up by his house LOL, i looked at him and just said that i would like to fish myself and get into my house and then i chuckled and said i am not the one been disrespectful now am I. he then packed his stuff and left and the whole time cursing me out. 

i just laugh i have nothing to say on this one other then simply amazing of some people and there thoughts.

42 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

you should have taken a pic for fun

Timberghost must be from the older generation. The young people will take out there phone and take a picture way before I would even think about it. If someone tells me or reminds me to take a picture I will.

Im going to a Lake in N.D. tomorrow and plan on spend the weekend there. I know the spot im going to, and there's not one house with in 1/4 mile. But by Sat at noon there will be  10 - 15 house with in 50 - 60 yds away.

Just seems like you can never fish alone any more.

Put 4 houses with SD registrations grouped tight together out on Bitter or Waubay on a Thursday and see how many MN registered houses are right next to them by Saturday afternoon.  Happens every weekend.  We've done it just for laughs...set our wheel houses in 2' of water on Bitter and had 10-15 non residents come into the area and set up without even checking the depth. 

What's even more fun is tightly clustering portables similar in model as the ones used by a well known guide service.  Guys get their Iowa fish finders out and see that cluster of portables and think "XXX guide service must be on the perch there."  you can have 20 new neighbors real fast doing that.  :)

On 1/26/2017 at 10:26 AM, Timber Ghost said:

So my buddy and I have fished this one lake for 6 years now and only ever seen maybe 20 other people out there fishing in that time frame and I go out to our house with my four wheeler last saturday just after lunch to get set up for the even and this is no joke, I pull up to the our house and there is a clam portable literally set up in front of our door with no more then 12 inches between his portable and our door to the house. after i pulled up the guy came flying out of the portable chewing my A*$ and called me disrespectful for he is trying top fish and i just come driving right up by his house LOL, i looked at him and just said that i would like to fish myself and get into my house and then i chuckled and said i am not the one been disrespectful now am I. he then packed his stuff and left and the whole time cursing me out. 

i just laugh i have nothing to say on this one other then simply amazing of some people and there thoughts.

Sounds like he was using your house for a wind break.