• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How close???

mysnopro

I am asking the age old ? Here and not on my local forum. We have 4-5 shacks out in a area on lake that we plowed. Its 3/4 mile from landing. Guy came out last night and set his shack 50ft away just over the snow bank from last shack. We do set tip ups out. Don't mind people using road, but I think 50ft is to close for a permi shack? I know we don't own it but common sence should be used. what do you guys use as a buffer/ distance from people?

Some people just don't have any common sense or courtesy.  Kind of like at Walmart.  Complete lack of situational awareness.  We have a nice small area plowed on the river next to the neighbors house.  Have three fish houses that barely fit in this area.  The other day a guy sets up his portable about 30 feet from one of the fish houses in the plowed area.  Come on.  He said the guy that owns the bait shop told him to go there.  So then the guy who owns the bait shop comes by.  We told him what we think of that and he said he told the guy a different spot not this one.   ????   Ya we don't own the river but I try to get as far away from people as I can when I fish winter and summer.  I don't have an answer mysnopro.  

Well I have a plan, I got some old tipupsand im going to cut them off so they have no reels on them! Then I will stick them in snow between my shack and his. No line in water no tickets from wardens! will check them once in awhile to make it look good. Guys spent 10-15 hours plowing road with atv, so I think we have some say on it. I did plow today with pickup, 15-16 inches ice!

10 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Some days I look at who it is? I'm a little softhearted for Dad's in a Prius with a hand auger and a kid. You know hes just trying to take his kid ice fishing for the first time and doesn't know where else to go.

Most guys that come out use some sence, But its the guys that set up right around the shacks! We try not to drill much close so water don't come up on ice.

1 hour ago, mysnopro said:

Most guys that come out use some sence, But its the guys that set up right around the shacks! We try not to drill much close so water don't come up on ice.

Oh your from Maine no wonder.

Here in Minnesota if you drill to close to houses or on ice roads, we just beat you with a tire iron then plow you in while the road slowly floods! :whistle:;)

3 hours ago, mysnopro said:

I am asking the age old ? Here and not on my local forum. We have 4-5 shacks out in a area on lake that we plowed. Its 3/4 mile from landing. Guy came out last night and set his shack 50ft away just over the snow bank from last shack. We do set tip ups out. Don't mind people using road, but I think 50ft is to close for a permi shack? I know we don't own it but common sence should be used. what do you guys use as a buffer/ distance from people?

Live and let live bro...  Maybe he knows that spot too and 50 feet is him being courteous to you?  Most people don't expect 4-5 shacks together to all be one tight group.  Probably looks more like a community spot - especially with a road plowed to it.

You could even talk to him a little before writing him off as a jerk.

At 50 ft, you can still accidentally back yer truck over him. Some folks just don't ice fish, never have, and don't have a clue. Legally, can't be closer than 10 feet. to another, but you an put them anywhere you want..... Ya, that makes sense.

DNR:

Where can I place my shelter? • Anywhere on Minnesota waters. • Shelters must be no closer than 10 feet apart.

I typically dont take much issue with it as I move often. Most time if they at least acknowledge you and say Hi or ask first if they are too close I typically dont have an issue with it. 

Its the guys that come in, completely oblivious to everything and everyone around them that make a bunch of noise and are rude and loud I may exchange words with.

I am a shallow golden hour guy and I go out of my way to be extra quiet, no lights etc when am fishing for walleyes after dark. Most people wont go as shallow as me. But I about lose it when someone comes in right and sundown and makes a bunch of noise in just a few feet of water.

Actually had to enforce this 10ft rule once. Fishing with another shack we had about 20 feet between the two of us. Some guy plopped down between us. His 7ft wide trailer was clearly way to close, he started up his tv and radio at the same time for some reason, then 3 more trucks showed up to party at his place. I walked over with the regulations and tried to explain the 10ft rule. He told me I was way out of line and this was his spot for years, I fished that lake for over 12 years in the same spot and never saw him before. Any way he finally had enough of my complaining and after about an hour moved on. Some of us actually do go out to fish, yes I have some beer with me, but I am usually busy catching fish or on the move looking for fish. If you want to party stay in the shanty town. Just my opinion.

I haven't had this happen for a couple years, but I was on a 3-4 year stretch where I had guys consistently setting up like 15-20' away from me, and I was almost always in the middle of nowhere on a lake that gets very little pressure.  Maybe word got around as to how big of an a-hole I can be if I have to check how far away you are with a tape measure.

If I wanted to fish in the group, I'd fish in the group.  I try new spots solely to get away from all that dump.  I know 10' is the rule, but come on.    Give me 50' at least!