• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone been riding?

Walleyehooker

Well I got out early Saturday morning and went from Xlake to Emily and over/down to Aitkin to Cuyuna and back to Xlake. About 100 miles, and the trails were GREAT! I spent about 15-20 miles as the first sled behind freshly groomed trails. Could feel it getting slippery about 11 am, but by then I had to head back and tow a friend back as he got a "new" Farmall B that didnt start. At least I was in the truck and not on that little tractor seat for the 15 miles ;) 

I will be done until we get snow, which by now doesn't look likely until possibly March...

37 minutes ago, BoxMN said:

Well I got out early Saturday morning and went from Xlake to Emily and over/down to Aitkin to Cuyuna and back to Xlake. About 100 miles, and the trails were GREAT! I spent about 15-20 miles as the first sled behind freshly groomed trails. Could feel it getting slippery about 11 am, but by then I had to head back and tow a friend back as he got a "new" Farmall B that didnt start. At least I was in the truck and not on that little tractor seat for the 15 miles ;) 

I will be done until we get snow, which by now doesn't look likely until possibly March...

Sounds like a fun time.:)

I think my gamble of waiting for later winter cold and blizzard may not pay off and I make have screwed myself for a ride this year! :(

21 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

Son of a Beach!!! How about up on the north shore farther? I just got my trailer ready to go and was planning on riding on Saturday but that doesn't sound to promising.

I have heard up the Gunflint still has some snow. But she's going to turn slushy running on the lakes soon.

Ya I guess I'm going to pass on riding this weekend. I'm sure there will still be traffic but with the warm weather its going to get chewed up fast. Hopefully it isn't done snowing yet. Otherwise I have a Lake of the woods trip planned in early March to ride and fish but last year I had to cancel that do to the weather.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, Walleyehooker said:

Just your basic Cargo trailer. Added a couple upgrades Aluminum rims and radial tires ,

Spare tire and mount and some E Track for tie downs. Put some old plywood I had on the floor so the snowmobile carbides wont tear up the new floor.

IMG_1351 (1).JPG

IMG_1352 (1).JPG

you should put down tracts for the skis, the plywood will also hinder movement when trying to move you sleds. since most sleds now have reverse, the tracts will help unloading also. I put these on my aluminum wheeler trailer, and the sled goes on and off great, with no damage. put the tracts on the ramp as well. I have a picture of my trailer in the background, you ca see the tracts on the ramp.

IMG_20170217_164033406.jpg

Edited by knoppers

Picked up some track at FF and put it on the floor and ramp. Also added a couple sections of e track on the wall to hang tie downs etc. Doesn't look like I'm going to get any use out of it this year but will be ready for next year. Plan on taking out track on floor in summer as it can get slippery and going to put in a couple wheel chocks for motorcycles.

IMG_1356.JPG

Sounds like there is still some good snow up the Gunflint. I sent an email to Bearskin lodge about their web cam not working and got a reply.

"That's correct. The repaired webcam has broken again, unfortunately, so only the same picture gets sent.  It is fairly inaccessible because of deep snow, but someone will be going out soon to take it down so we can get it fixed again.  It will probably have to be put up in a new place, which will disappoint people who have been keeping running snaps of the photos to make video.

For what it's worth, it looks exactly the same now as it did when that picture was taken.  Winter tends to look the same everyday here."

Sue

Bearskin Lodge

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:10 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: From the Bearskin Contact Form

Zip: 55429

Message Body:

Whats up with your web cam? It's had the same picture for a month. There are a lot of us snowmobilers who watch your cam to know if there is any snow left up there and if we should come up sledding or not. Can you check to see if it's working?  Thanks.

Edited by leech~~

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Walleyehooker said:

Picked up some track at FF and put it on the floor and ramp. Also added a couple sections of e track on the wall to hang tie downs etc. Doesn't look like I'm going to get any use out of it this year but will be ready for next year. Plan on taking out track on floor in summer as it can get slippery and going to put in a couple wheel chocks for motorcycles.

IMG_1356.JPG

that looks great, you will love them.

15 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

7 x 16 plus V front

Oh was wondering why you went right down the middle with the tracks if it was an 8 X by. Seems like you could sneak a little more gear in if the sled was to one side more?

Edited by leech~~

The reason I went down the middle is if I haul 2 sleds the first one will go in forward and have to kick the rear over to fit another machine backed in. With machines 10+ feet long the rears will overlap a little. And the easiest way to keep the skis on the track. Not to worried about room as most of the time I will only be hauling one sled anyway and I have extra room in my Suburban for gear etc. Thought about going wider but figured 7 would work OK.

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM, BoxMN said:

Xlake area got about 6" of fluffy stuff, I am told, but I wasn't up this weekend. Looks like Tuesday might add a few more. I might still be able to ride yet :)

BoxMN

Have you ever taken the Old Grade up towards Outing or Lakeville areas? There are a lot of nice trails in the woods up that way. My buddy has a cabin on Washburn and we have sledded around there all the way up to Longville a few times.

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

BoxMN

Have you ever taken the Old Grade up towards Outing or Lakeville areas? There are a lot of nice trails in the woods up that way. My buddy has a cabin on Washburn and we have sledded around there all the way up to Longville a few times.

I haven't gone up the old Grade, but do head to Outing via Emily and NE from there, and it is really nice. Hardly any roads to go across and little to no ditch riding. I have got to try the Old Grade, as I would think it is like that. We grouse and duck hunt up there now and then, but haven't lately. Great place with lots of public land and opportunity. :)