Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

rundrave

Clinch knot keeps breaking

30 posts in this topic

I am prepping some rods trying to tie on some small tungsten jigs. I have been trying to use the improve clinch knot and the line keeps breaking when I tighten the knot. Using Berkley Trilene 3lb micro ice and spool is less than a year old. Do I need to use a different knot? Different line? Get line wet first? Be more careful when tightening knot?

improved_clinch_knot.jpg

You don't need the improved clinch knot, just once through by the eye will be fine and I always wet my line before tightening.

If your line keeps breaking after that, get new line. Light, exposure and use will weaken line over time.

13 minutes ago, Rick said:

You don't need the improved clinch knot, just once through by the eye will be fine and I always wet my line before tightening.

If your line keeps breaking after that, get new line. Light, exposure and use will weaken line over time.

I was going to say spit on the line to wet it before snugging. :)

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

Huh?  Improved clinch knot is just once through the eye.

No, an improved clinch knot goes once though a loop close to the eye and then through the loop coming down. Check the improved clinch knot pic at the top. Not going through a second time is just a clinch knot. 

Hope that helps you @bobbymalone

Posted (edited)

sorry, missed the word "by".  I thought you were saying once through the eye, implying the poster was doubling up through the eye.  Nevermind. 

FWIW, I always use an improved clinch (unless I'm using a palomar) and you shouldn't have problems.  If it keeps breaking, you're doing something wrong or your line is junk.

Edited by bobbymalone

Keep in mind that 3lb. "test" is pretty fine to begin with and it will not take much exposure to  sun or other light to make it very brittle and weak. If you are tying the clinch knot the way it is pictured and drawing it up slowly it should NOT break. But...if you draw it up too quickly and get and "over-wrap" of any kind it will substantially weaken the material. Is it breaking AT the knot or IN the knot? If the line is breaking at some point up from the knot your line is bad.  And remember, it can come from the STORE bad when you buy it.

You can use Chapstick to make line slick too if it is handy.

I use the same knot but I use 4lb micro ice rarely do I break line when tying just need to be carefull as the line doesn't take much to break for the lighter line just get the line damp and pull slowly till tight. Also this line is great but when put through the winter elements I find I need to put new stuff on about every year I seldom get more the 1-3 years off a spool. Good thing it's not very expensive.

rundrave likes this

6 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

old school here, I tie the trilene knot 99 % of the time. 

pound micro ice

Same here.

I almost always use the improved clinch knot. Sounds like your line is too weak. I would get new line or let out a bunch and then try it again further down on the spool.

rundrave likes this

Ya know, now that ya bring it up, I had a brand new spool of either that or some other super-limp ice line, and it kept doing that...continually. Every time I tied a knot. Pissd me off big time.Took it back to Fleet Farm, where my buddy is the sporting goods mgr, and he said he's seen that before. Maybe...?

rundrave likes this

appreciate the thoughts and advice. It is frustrating, no matter how slow or careful I tried I ended up with the same result. At least it was happening at home prepping for fishing rather than on the ice trying to stay on top of the perch moving through. 

And for the record, I hate changing lures, tying knots etc. My hands and patience just aren't made to do that type of stuff lol.

12 minutes ago, rundrave said:

appreciate the thoughts and advice. It is frustrating, no matter how slow or careful I tried I ended up with the same result. At least it was happening at home prepping for fishing rather than on the ice trying to stay on top of the perch moving through. 

And for the record, I hate changing lures, tying knots etc. My hands and patience just aren't made to do that type of stuff lol.

Micro size. Works for me. :)

FASTS.jpg

Uni-knot.   Way easier to tie and better to boot.  

30 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Uni-knot.   Way easier to tie and better to boot.  

to me the trilene knot is easier. but I have been using it for over 40 years :) 

If you are running it through twice, might as well use a palomar knot.

17 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

If you are running it through twice, might as well use a palomar knot.

The Trilene knot DOES go thru twice. Guess you don't use it. Walleye magazine rated over 20 knots some years back, and the Uni knot was not rated as well as the Trilene. I'll find and post the results.

Field and Streams best Knots...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots

I think what eyeguy have been referring to is my original post and me using tiny tungsten jigs. I am not getting the line through the eye of the jig twice on a little jig :)

6 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I think what eyeguy have been referring to is my original post and me using tiny tungsten jigs. I am not getting the line through the eye of the jig twice on a little jig :)

I go thru twice with the micro ice 3 pound on #14 jigs and smaller. wont work if you bite line with teeth. gotta use a clipper for a crisp cut. 

Now days I need #2 readers to do it. LOL 

trilene and palomar test were very close to exactly the same on mono. 

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

tough to fold line and put in the tiny jig hole

trilene knot

Uh, run it through,    fold line over, run it through again in other direction.    Doesn't trilene knot have you run it through twice?