• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leech or others - Trout on Big Trout????

BoxMN

I know this should be in different area, but they are all dead... I know Leech fishes Trout for trout, and others here too. Can you give me any general advice on first time trout fishing on Big Trout? I think we are going to try it on Superbowl Saturday for a bit. I have never done it. Don't need spots, just some general guidelines on the "hows", baits, and general depth or things to look for. I am going to try to search archives for more advice as well. Thanks all in advance!

-Box

flashy spoons and check anywhere from 40-120 ft.  The tough thing about Big Trout is there are so many whitefish in the system along with the trout that until you hook them it can be tough to know if you are on a school of whitefish or trout...at least that is my experience from the summer fishing.  Good Luck!  Was out there over the weekend and there was 10" of ice out there within the 1st 300 yards from shore but didn't travel any further out...had a pile of what I believe were whitefish under us hitting my swivel...had hooked into one and it put up a fight b4 getting unhooked.

6 hours ago, ozzie said:

The tough thing about Big Trout is there are so many whitefish in the system along with the trout that until you hook them it can be tough to know if you are on a school of whitefish or trout

Serious????

I'm not a trout fisherman but I'm in search of Whitefish this winter to go angling for and if I can help it, I don't want to have to go back to Ontario ( although they were nice sized Whities ) if I don't have to but I am looking for Whitefish, not Tulibee.

Any size to the Whitefish ( if that's what they are ) ?

We've zero'd in a few lakes to go give it a try.

Mike

4 minutes ago, MN Mike said:

Serious????

I'm not a trout fisherman but I'm in search of Whitefish this winter to go angling for and if I can help it, I don't want to have to go back to Ontario ( although they were nice sized Whities ) if I don't have to but I am looking for Whitefish, not Tulibee.

Any size to the Whitefish ( if that's what they are ) ?

We've zero'd in a few lakes to go give it a try.

Mike

Mike, do a DNR Lake finder for the lake. It has Whitefish avg 15-19" and Tullis avg 8-9"

1 minute ago, BoxMN said:

Thanks for info guys!

Mike, I don't know a thing about it, but maybe look at a lake in the same general area called Ten Mile. An old timer tells me stories, but not sure about it.

Yeah, Ten Mile is about 25 or more miles North west of there up 371. ;)

Haven't fished it in many years, we would usually set up in 60-80'. But I would probably approach it differently now after acquiring some laker experience since those days. They were always on the smaller size when we got into them, although my buddy pulled out a 12 pounder on a big airplane jig. Caught a 5 lb walleye from 75' out there once.........yea........those eyes were already crossed when it popped out of the hole. :)

It's a pretty cool lake but not going to pull any record Lakers out of there. I usually play around out there later in the season after Walleye closes. It gets hit pretty hard all summer to grow many nice ones.

I don't think there is a problem catching whitefish out there as I believe there is a big population out there.  From the summer the ones I saw were in the 17-21" range all nice chunky fish.  I have actually caught a whitefish on 4 different lakes now out there...Trout, island, little pine, and lower whitefish.

and leech I am not sure about records but from what I have learned over the years about the chain is that there are true giants out there but they don't always stay in Big Trout...you wouldn't target trout outside of Big Trout but I have heard spearers tell me that they have seen them as far south as Cross and at various spots on Whitefish.  Just a tough system to fish all together!

Edited by ozzie

59 minutes ago, ozzie said:

I don't think there is a problem catching whitefish out there as I believe there is a big population out there.  From the summer the ones I saw were in the 17-21" range all nice chunky fish.  I have actually caught a whitefish on 4 different lakes now out there...Trout, island, little pine, and lower whitefish.

and leech I am not sure about records but from what I have learned over the years about the chain is that there are true giants out there but they don't always stay in Big Trout...you wouldn't target trout outside of Big Trout but I have heard spearers tell me that they have seen them as far south as Cross and at various spots on Whitefish.  Just a tough system to fish all together!

You right. I have heard some Lakers have gotten out of Big Trout and moved into the Whitefish chain over the years but it would be darn near impossible to key in on them.

Not lakers, but at the spring Pine River egg stripping I have seen a true 36" (measured by DNR and help up for us all to see!) walleye! Wow, was that awesome to see :)

That chain has big fish in it, I just haven't connected...yet... ;)

20 hours ago, BoxMN said:

Thanks for info guys!

Mike, I don't know a thing about it, but maybe look at a lake in the same general area called Ten Mile. An old timer tells me stories, but not sure about it.

Very tough fish to catch on 10 mile, good luck