• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance locators

Musky hunter 82

Question

So here's my question for you guys, I have a Lowrance elite 3x all season bundle that I use in the summer on the front of the boat and for ice fishing in the winter since it came with both transducers, a bag and battery.  I also have a hook 7 that has GPS and the insight HD lake chip that is mounted in the boat.  I like the Elite 3x for summer fishing but now after using it for ice fishing I find myself wanting the GPS and Lake chip that I have on the Hook 7.  So can I buy an adapter so I can use the Elite 3x ice transducer (it's the black plug) on the Hook 7?  Also the hook 7 has a flasher mode but is any better then the regular sonar screen?  I also have a Garmin Dakota 20 handheld GPS that I could use but I don't have a lake chip for it, would the Lowrance insight Pro V16 chip work in the Garmin unit?

Thanks 

7 answers to this question

This the adapter your looking for? https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-10052-001-Uniplug-Transducer-Adapter/dp/B004B7SWQC

Lowrance sells a bunch of adapters not sure what plug is on the elite 3's I know they are different than all the other elites or hooks.

I've used several lowrance units on the ice. currently use a elite 7ti. I've never cared for the layout of a regular flasher, so I can't really say how the flasher screen compares to another flasher. I strictly use graph mode and love it. I think I like using it more than my marcum LX-9 if that says anything. I would doubt you could swap cards from brand to brand.

An update I tried my Lowrance Insight HD V15 East chip in my Garmin Dakota and it doesn't read it, so my next plan is to buy the adapter for the Hook 7 and try that for ice fishing.  Question though is can you fit it in the soft bag that comes with the Lowrance ice units or is it too big? 

So I was able to take the hook 7 out ice fishing yesterday and it worked awesome.  I ended up modifying the hard plastic base plate that came with the Lowrance bag.  I was able to still fit one of the tackle boxes under the locator.  I used the ice fishing mode and set the sensitivity to 70% and I could see my 5mm tungsten jig in 30' of water.  I was fishing as close as 10' away from my dad who was using a marcum lx2 and there was interference but not too bad.

20170219_071944.jpg

20170219_071923.jpg

20170219_071754.jpg

20170219_071743.jpg

20170218_165828.jpg

It does and I tried the different frequency options and none of them really cleared it up, but honestly it didn't bother me that much since the lines are vertical.  This did cause a lot of clutter on the flasher setting so I turned that off.  The only thing that bothered me at first when hole hopping was I would leave the unit on and pull the transducer out of the hole and then move to the next one, when I put the transducer back down the hole it would take quite a while for it to read bottom again.  That's when I found the Stop sonar check box, made a world of difference now I can just check that box pull the transducer and move to the next spot, drop the transducer down the hole and uncheck the box and pickup right where I left off with no issues.  I only fished for 3 hours on Saturday and with running the GPS/Lake maps and sonar on the entire time my 7ah battery was still at 12.3 volts. 

11 hours ago, Musky hunter 82 said:

It does and I tried the different frequency options and none of them really cleared it up, but honestly it didn't bother me that much since the lines are vertical.  This did cause a lot of clutter on the flasher setting so I turned that off.  The only thing that bothered me at first when hole hopping was I would leave the unit on and pull the transducer out of the hole and then move to the next one, when I put the transducer back down the hole it would take quite a while for it to read bottom again.  That's when I found the Stop sonar check box, made a world of difference now I can just check that box pull the transducer and move to the next spot, drop the transducer down the hole and uncheck the box and pickup right where I left off with no issues.  I only fished for 3 hours on Saturday and with running the GPS/Lake maps and sonar on the entire time my 7ah battery was still at 12.3 volts. 

Interesting.  I would think using the 455 or 800 would stop the interference.   BTW what I do is put the finder to sleep (the one on the bow of the boat, when I pull up the trolling motor and move.)   same sort of deal.