Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

bASS_BLASTER

8X16 Aluminum Fish House Hydraulic?

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm on my 4th house. Currently have an 8x26' with galvanized frame, hydraulic lift, slide out, the whole 9 yards. I'm pretty happy except for early ice and tight spaces.

 

I'm looking for an 8x16' all aluminum with hydraulic lift system. I've called around and seems nobody will build me one. Weird? I'm basically throwing money at them and get turned down. Is there a reason why the following a,b,c companies won't build one even at the expense of the customer? JMO: I think an 8x16 all aluminum hydraulic has its perks. Its light weight, hydraulic is fast and takes less space in the wheel wall.

 

Edited by bASS_BLASTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berkon? Do they build houses?

 

Sorry, I'm a little behind. I thought they only make frames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They mostly build frames but I think they build a few complete ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading comprehension....I thought you were just talking about a frame.  I believe they still do complete houses.  It would for sure be worth a phone call.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Reading comprehension....I thought you were just talking about a frame.  I believe they still do complete houses.  It would for sure be worth a phone call.  

Aren't you getting the itch again??  I'm sure you could fit him in before your next build this spring!!

Lip_Ripper Guy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Aren't you getting the itch again??  I'm sure you could fit him in before your next build this spring!!

I mean...everything has a price :) 

Moon Lake Refuge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

idk why nobody makes an all aluminum frame 8x14 - 8x17 with hydraulics. Builders tell me its cost and demand but some customers are willing to fork up for that option and if you don't build it, how will there be any demand.

 

Having more option is better than limited options because buyers settle for less/something else. jmo

Moon Lake Refuge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bASS_BLASTER said:

idk why nobody makes an all aluminum frame 8x14 - 8x17 with hydraulics. Builders tell me its cost and demand but some customers are willing to fork up for that option and if you don't build it, how will there be any demand.

 

Having more option is better than limited options because buyers settle for less/something else. jmo

 

I think an aluminum frame would be great, if you can build it with the hydraulic torsion axle.  I've talked to two different welding shop owners from northern MN, and they say there is a steady stream of Yetti's coming through their door for repairs.  This is not a bash on Yetti, I would for sure own one if I didn't build my own.  But the leaf spring/stub axle is always going to be less durable than a full width rotating torsion axle.  

 

From a cost perspective, it's a bogus argument, IMO.  3 hydraulic cylinders, some hoses, and a pump, are going to add about $500 in material cost to each house.  Switching to the torsion axle would be the same cost as 3 winches and 3 leaf spring assemblies.  So for $500 you have a superior product, that goes up and down with the push of a button.  Tell me that isn't in more demand than cranking when it's -30!     

bASS_BLASTER and elkrivermn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

 

I think an aluminum frame would be great, if you can build it with the hydraulic torsion axle.  I've talked to two different welding shop owners from northern MN, and they say there is a steady stream of Yetti's coming through their door for repairs.  This is not a bash on Yetti, I would for sure own one if I didn't build my own.  But the leaf spring/stub axle is always going to be less durable than a full width rotating torsion axle.  

 

From a cost perspective, it's a bogus argument, IMO.  3 hydraulic cylinders, some hoses, and a pump, are going to add about $500 in material cost to each house.  Switching to the torsion axle would be the same cost as 3 winches and 3 leaf spring assemblies.  So for $500 you have a superior product, that goes up and down with the push of a button.  Tell me that isn't in more demand than cranking when it's -30!     

 

I don't mind full galvanized frame too. Don't think there's much weight difference between the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

 

I think an aluminum frame would be great, if you can build it with the hydraulic torsion axle.  I've talked to two different welding shop owners from northern MN, and they say there is a steady stream of Yetti's coming through their door for repairs.  This is not a bash on Yetti, I would for sure own one if I didn't build my own.  But the leaf spring/stub axle is always going to be less durable than a full width rotating torsion axle.  

 

From a cost perspective, it's a bogus argument, IMO.  3 hydraulic cylinders, some hoses, and a pump, are going to add about $500 in material cost to each house.  Switching to the torsion axle would be the same cost as 3 winches and 3 leaf spring assemblies.  So for $500 you have a superior product, that goes up and down with the push of a button.  Tell me that isn't in more demand than cranking when it's -30!     

 

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what were the problems that those welding shops were seeing with those Yettis?  I know they have leaf springs but they do have a full width stub axle which I would think would make for a more durable setup.  Still not as superior to a torsion axle though.  Just wondering so I know what to lookout for. 

Edited by YettiStyle
bASS_BLASTER likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aluminum is just more brittle, especially in the cold. I bought my lake dock from an outfit that now only makes steel docks, because they said they were sick of having to repair the aluminum ones. Seeing how stuff gets tossed around inside the fishhouse,I can see aluminum may have an issue holding together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MNsetters said:

Aluminum is just more brittle, especially in the cold. I bought my lake dock from an outfit that now only makes steel docks, because they said they were sick of having to repair the aluminum ones. Seeing how stuff gets tossed around inside the fishhouse,I can see aluminum may have an issue holding together.

 

I know that aluminum is more brittle and welds can crack but just wondering if there was a common problem area (like around the stubs or suspension system).  I also follow the Yetti recommended 55mph limit religiously and never go more than 5-10mph across the ice.  Not many people have the patience these days to just slow down but still expect their gear to hold up when they cruise 75mph on the interstate and 25mph across the ice. 

 

Papa Bear and elkrivermn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Posts

    • chicks maybe exploring what the beak is for
    •   You can also be a little creative with the leftover meat.  For example: The wife and I will whip up a spanish rice mixed in with the pork and make Enchiladas or heat the pork on the stove top, mix in some BBQ sauce and make quesadillas (the grandkids love them).   There's more to pulled pork than sandwiches.  
    • that is great!!!!   good for you guys!!!!
    • Your right rs_ld,  a full smoker is the way to go, leftovers can always be frozen and re heated..good eats.
    • 195 degrees on these butts. Like they say, if you are going to spend 9 hrs smoking 5# of meat, you just as well spend the same amount of time smoking 45#. The local grocery had these on sale so had a few friends take the offer to throw a roast on for them. Took two off early for slicing  Pulling the rest cost them each a beer though!
    • Very good stuff, kinda tasted like ribs with this recipe,  I'll keep at it til I find the right one!! Good luck moon lake!!
    • It will be interesting to see how the Warriors react in free agency.  Will they be able to keep the team together?  It seems like all these guys value winning above a paycheck so they might be willing to sign deals that will still allow the team flexibility to keep good role players around them.    
    • That's too bad.  The fish were ON FIRE up there.  I went out with my dad and uncle with our tiller walleye boat, and hardly a clue what we were doing, and we crushed them!  Ended up with 118 pounds of packaged salmon fillets.  I think I can honestly say it was the most fun fishing trip I've had in my life.  Here's my biggest of the trip, 25 pounds.    
    •   It's amazing to see a thoroughly talented team like Cleveland just get dissected like a back alley pick up team. I agree--GS will be THE team to beat for several more years if they keep their nucleus. I think we can make them sweat a little bit now, though, so that's pretty exciting for a change! 
    • dang I can see why anyone would slobber!!!!
  • Our Sponsors