• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8X16 Aluminum Fish House Hydraulic?

bASS_BLASTER

I'm on my 4th house. Currently have an 8x26' with galvanized frame, hydraulic lift, slide out, the whole 9 yards. I'm pretty happy except for early ice and tight spaces.

I'm looking for an 8x16' all aluminum with hydraulic lift system. I've called around and seems nobody will build me one. Weird? I'm basically throwing money at them and get turned down. Is there a reason why the following a,b,c companies won't build one even at the expense of the customer? JMO: I think an 8x16 all aluminum hydraulic has its perks. Its light weight, hydraulic is fast and takes less space in the wheel wall.

Edited by bASS_BLASTER

1 hour ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Reading comprehension....I thought you were just talking about a frame.  I believe they still do complete houses.  It would for sure be worth a phone call.  

Aren't you getting the itch again??  I'm sure you could fit him in before your next build this spring!!

idk why nobody makes an all aluminum frame 8x14 - 8x17 with hydraulics. Builders tell me its cost and demand but some customers are willing to fork up for that option and if you don't build it, how will there be any demand.

Having more option is better than limited options because buyers settle for less/something else. jmo

44 minutes ago, bASS_BLASTER said:

idk why nobody makes an all aluminum frame 8x14 - 8x17 with hydraulics. Builders tell me its cost and demand but some customers are willing to fork up for that option and if you don't build it, how will there be any demand.

Having more option is better than limited options because buyers settle for less/something else. jmo

I think an aluminum frame would be great, if you can build it with the hydraulic torsion axle.  I've talked to two different welding shop owners from northern MN, and they say there is a steady stream of Yetti's coming through their door for repairs.  This is not a bash on Yetti, I would for sure own one if I didn't build my own.  But the leaf spring/stub axle is always going to be less durable than a full width rotating torsion axle.  

From a cost perspective, it's a bogus argument, IMO.  3 hydraulic cylinders, some hoses, and a pump, are going to add about $500 in material cost to each house.  Switching to the torsion axle would be the same cost as 3 winches and 3 leaf spring assemblies.  So for $500 you have a superior product, that goes up and down with the push of a button.  Tell me that isn't in more demand than cranking when it's -30!     

8 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I think an aluminum frame would be great, if you can build it with the hydraulic torsion axle.  I've talked to two different welding shop owners from northern MN, and they say there is a steady stream of Yetti's coming through their door for repairs.  This is not a bash on Yetti, I would for sure own one if I didn't build my own.  But the leaf spring/stub axle is always going to be less durable than a full width rotating torsion axle.  

From a cost perspective, it's a bogus argument, IMO.  3 hydraulic cylinders, some hoses, and a pump, are going to add about $500 in material cost to each house.  Switching to the torsion axle would be the same cost as 3 winches and 3 leaf spring assemblies.  So for $500 you have a superior product, that goes up and down with the push of a button.  Tell me that isn't in more demand than cranking when it's -30!     

I don't mind full galvanized frame too. Don't think there's much weight difference between the two.

32 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what were the problems that those welding shops were seeing with those Yettis?  I know they have leaf springs but they do have a full width stub axle which I would think would make for a more durable setup.  Still not as superior to a torsion axle though.  Just wondering so I know what to lookout for. 

Edited by YettiStyle

Aluminum is just more brittle, especially in the cold. I bought my lake dock from an outfit that now only makes steel docks, because they said they were sick of having to repair the aluminum ones. Seeing how stuff gets tossed around inside the fishhouse,I can see aluminum may have an issue holding together.

5 minutes ago, MNsetters said:

Aluminum is just more brittle, especially in the cold. I bought my lake dock from an outfit that now only makes steel docks, because they said they were sick of having to repair the aluminum ones. Seeing how stuff gets tossed around inside the fishhouse,I can see aluminum may have an issue holding together.

I know that aluminum is more brittle and welds can crack but just wondering if there was a common problem area (like around the stubs or suspension system).  I also follow the Yetti recommended 55mph limit religiously and never go more than 5-10mph across the ice.  Not many people have the patience these days to just slow down but still expect their gear to hold up when they cruise 75mph on the interstate and 25mph across the ice.