• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transporting ice rods and storage

rundrave

whats your preference or what do you use while out on the ice? I am a run and gun type and prefer to just have all my rods in a 5 gallon buckets. Its just the quickest and easiest way to get to a rod when I need it fast. I have a few types of rod bags and rod storage but they often end with hooks caught or tangled in fabric and more trouble than what they are worth. I will say they prevent broken tips etc though.

Funny thing is I just went to a rod bag last year after just throwing them in a bucket forever. I use a sled and porty most of the time and got tired of finding them all tangled in the bucket by the time I got across the lake! On a big lake trip nightmare!  :(

i have used rod bags similar to posted above and they serve their purpose but I always ended up with hooks stuck to the fabric on the inside. With barbs on the hooks they were a pain to remove. 

do you guys cut and retie every time you pack up? What am I missing? Do the higher end rod bags have fabric or material that eliminates hooks getting caught? 

I'm pleased with Striker Ice rod case, it'll hold 4 with exceptional protection, I throw a couple extra in to make sure I've got enough for the fam. It really does a nice job at easy transport and an awesome job at protecting my sticks. 

I used a hard sided case for arrows (bow hunting).  I can fit up to eight rods in it and depending on the size of your reel you may have to fold the handle down.  They cost about $20 bucks - but I haven't bought one in a long time.

I am kinda like kudu63 but I use a cheap gun case. All of mine were around $20.00 and I have not broke a rod since I started using them full time. I have one for panfish, walleyes and 1 for lake trout. What I love is the fact I never worry about stacking junk on top of the cases.

thanks the the advice and suggestions. went out yesterday with a 5 gallon bucket it works but not idea. this soap box may be the trick I needed. I will pick some up and retry some of the storage units I have already. If not I may have to go to a gun case.

I keep them in a case, but I also have the vexilar with two rod holders, so I keep two on there for the run and gun type fishing. Then when I either get too cold or find em, I will set up the flip and open the case. But I definitely keep them in a case for the rest of the year or when traveling.

I saw an idea for using T8 light ballast protectors. Got some a lowes for $3 a piece that are 4ft long. Cut them in half and put over the rods. That should take care of the tangled hood problems in my current rod cases

so spent a day on the ice yesterday first time running and gunning with protectors over the rods. Never had any tangles and sure made pack up and switching rods super quick and easy:

Here is a pic of what they look like, I just took the end caps out each end:

9e65552b-d7ea-4aa6-9c10-0156a9df740d_100

I might cut some channels in them now to get it up over the reel handle and line so I can putch some velcro on the ends to keep them from sliding off. so far happy with this method and its super cheap and inexepensive

I bought the Plano gun case that was mentioned earlier.  I don't plan on using it as you need to fold down your reels and it doesn't fit many rods.  I have an Eagle Claw Rod Case on the way.  It looks pretty nice, but big, but I won't have to fold down the handles.