• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Years Eve

This New Years will be a strange one. A good friends daughter is getting married at 6:00 PM and the reception will following at the hotel. Should be an interesting evening along with a ton of my high school friends. Pretty much everyone has a room so let the good times roll. 

For me, it's been the same for 20 years...a pkg of little smokies, simmering in some spicy BBQ sauce (used to add about 1/8 cup bourbon to it) in the 1976 fondue pot. Might toss in some Sriracha this year.  Assorted cheeses, this year, Danish creamy havarti, Danish Havarti with dill, muenster, sharp cheddar, baby swiss, and colby.  Herring in wine sauce. Chilled Jumbo shrimp with cocktail sauce. Assorted crackers with swiss almond cheese spread. Deviled eggs. Herring in wine sauce.  And...eggnog with grated nutmeg. 
I've never gotten tired of that menu, and it's never varied! Tip: best to be able to crack open a few windows the next day....

We normally have a big group gathered for New Years and it's mostly a pot luck so there is always an assortment. One guy makes a big prime rib. I make the aus jus with the recipe off here and also make a roaster of 10-15 pounds of turkey gizzards. The gizzards get cooked for 5-8 hours in a mix of cream soups and broth. They're cut with a plastic fork tender when you take them out and a great snack throughout the night. They go quick as long as you're vague on what they are. It's always a good way to close out the year. No one gets out of hand and the kids get to play and have a good time also. 

We normally have a big group gathered for New Years and it's mostly a pot luck so there is always an assortment. One guy makes a big prime rib. I make the aus jus with the recipe off here and also make a roaster of 10-15 pounds of turkey gizzards. The gizzards get cooked for 5-8 hours in a mix of cream soups and broth. They're cut with a plastic fork tender when you take them out and a great snack throughout the night. They go quick as long as you're vague on what they are. It's always a good way to close out the year. No one gets out of hand and the kids get to play and have a good time also. 

Sounds like it is basically a braise.... 

Take a Nesco roaster.  Put the gizzards in, pretty much cover with a mixture of cream of mushroom, chicken, celery, whatever you like, thinned out with some chicken broth.    Cook at a simmer, don't boil for a long time.  

Could also do it in a big roasting pan covered with foil in the oven, if you want to tie up your oven for 6 hours.   Smaller amounts would go in a dutch oven.   Add some black pepper and anything else you like in the way of seasoning.   A guy could throw some onion and garlic in there too.  Keep an eye on them so they don't cook down too much and burn. 

That's my guess on how to do them.   I wonder how close that is.  

3 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

No, as I have said before, they run too HOT.   Meat will dry out if you cook it too hot, and boiling is too hot. 

DELBERT! I knew you'd pipe up! :D I may be running too hot later myself....I'll have to switch to glide....!!  :P

2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I'm using this 1976 fondue pot on low tonite 

fondue.jpg

I'm surprised it's not in a nice shade of avocado.

:)

Was planning crab legs and lobster over at the Duff household, but I'm battling some cold and flu crud, kept me off the ice for two days and now it's interfering with tasty eats...........I'm not a happy camper. In fact I blame a high fever on any randy posts on HSO over the last couple of days.

;)

Enjoy your New Years festivities folks!!!

Heck, that sucks, Duffman! Get over that!! I remember last year I was on my deathbed with something....it was BAD. And yer right, it even screws up yer eating. Hope ya feel lots better tomorrow.....

By the way, I do agree with Delmonaco, crock pots do run way too hot.Boiled food.  I only run mine on low.